1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple Products

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Dec 13, 2018.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

3 iPhones
    2 iPads
    2 MacBook Pros

I was very wary of using MacBook Pro as a development platform at work. I got forced into for a 2010-2012 job and my current job of two years. My opinion both times is that the Apple development environment was very solid.

My opinion about the MS development environment has slowly degraded over the years. Startup times are glacially slow and security updates are too frequent.

2. MystikArkitect

iPhone X.

Google Pixel.

Microsoft Surfacebook.

Samsung Gear S3.

Amazon Echo

They all offer something the rest don’t. Had an Apple Watch for 6 months and couldn’t stand it. iPhone X has been great and consistent. Easy to use.

Surfacebook just eviscerates any Apple product for my line of work.

Gear S3 has Spotify because Apple Music might be the worst subscription I’ve ever signed up for.

Pixel has Google and Ok,Google is so much superior to Siri that they may as well not even be comparable.

Alexa controls my house lights and music.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Has your gear gotten slow? Mine is just at a snails pace sometimes. I'm not sure what's going on with it.

Also, does your gear s3 play nicely with the iphone?

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I have an occasionally tolerate/usually hate relationship with Apple, but I had a MacBook Pro for several years (my son dropped something on it and ruined the display). I forced myself to use Mac OS for about eight months, and I just couldn’t stand it. I tried to use bootcamp to install a version of windows, but it wouldn’t work. It was apparently a known issue, but of course, finding answers on Apple’s support site is impossible because it seems they are mostly infallible. Anyhoo, I got annoyed and just reformatted the boot sector, so that thing had no idea what MacOS was, installed windows 10 by itself and never looked back. Despite the initial annoyances (and the occasional later ones), it turned out to be the best windows PC laptop I’ve ever had.

arkoe likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's pretty simple for me. Apple products are overpriced. I can afford them though because they last years without needing to be upgraded. In general, they have a better build quality and don't slow down over time. (although I have been told MS has got better in recent years) I have also sold some of my Apple crap and gotten some money back.

I do know in general I would be happy with a windows laptop. But Android phones when I see people have them a lot of time look like crap. Just my opinion.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I enjoy the Apple Ecosystem. And only upgrade when I feel it is warranted. The synergy with the products is great and they last. My family has.

-2 MacBook Pros
    -Cinema Display
    -Airport Express
    -iPhone
    -2 iPad Minis
    -2 AppleTVs

7. MystikArkitect

Yeah it’s fine. I honestly use it mainly for the gym because I hate working out with my phone. It notifies me with updates and phone calls. It’s not as intuitive as the Apple Watch was, but the Apple Watch was 95% half baked anyway. I would have work out apps that would bog down to the point of unusable, which kind of defeats the point. Apple also programmed Apple Music to autostart any time a Bluetooth device was connected, ie my truck or my headphones, even though I didn’t want it to. That drove me insane. After that experience I would *never* buy in to the Apple ecosystem in its entirety. I have iCloud to backup my photos and that’s it.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

2 MacBooks, 2 iphones, 1 iPod over the last 12+ years

The first MacBook pro lasted for 10 years and I still use it to access old photos and music files.

I qualified and took the free iPhone upgrade a few years ago with a sprint promo, have upgraded since, probably due for another.

Lol at anti apple hysteria

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The face recognition thing on the new iPhone is pretty slick

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have everything.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

LOL, the monitor stand costs $999 and if you want to use a Vesa monitor the adapter is an additional $199

B-Bob likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That is not a gaming monitor or internet browser. That setup is for people that can make $3000-4000 + dollars on a single job.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I laughed, then thought...I can see the benefit

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LMAO. I did the same thing. Get that low end bass from the rear.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

$999 for a stand??? Gtfo, now the monitor, if you have a use... Sure (it's 6k res), but the stand... That's just stupid, and their $199 Vesa adapter, lol, just make one.

I don't think the premium price on 6k xdr will last but if you have a use for an actual job then go for it. I just don't know if you'll produce $5k (standless, so $6k if you need the snake oil stand) better in results vs other high end $1-2k+ monitors.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, if you have a use it'll be good, I just think the stand price is stupid, and I don't know if the premium price is worth it, because it's only a short term gain. I mean there's going to be a lot more monitors coming, but if you need it now and have work that pays the bills art/photo/video edit/design go for it.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Apple products are slowly losing their edge as a quality product. The new MBP are nice but not a step up from the model before it.

They cut a few corners in the latest XR series iphones (notably 2016 screen res tech) that makes the Samsung phones a better value.

I have both, which is why I noticed...

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I personally would have absolutely zero use for that. I lived with a friend for 2 years though that is a professional photographer. I know what that dude makes on particular jobs. It blows my mind. And that is why he always typically has the somewhat latest Apple stuff and probably 50-75$k in photography equipment.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is exactly it, if you can make bank on it you need to do it. And Apple can deliver for sure. That's wild though, man, haha, yeah no use here either.