1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple Products

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Dec 13, 2018.

1. likestohypeguy

I had a short lived affair with apple (apart from the schools IIe/c's back in the day, that was pure); modern day apple. Started by being gifted a few of iPads over the years. The most recent one, I gifted right back to them within a month (not awkward, everyone happy). Just found out that with my usage, there's nothing there for me between chromebooks and phone. Meanwhile, before having come to this conclusion, I had switched from nexus to an iPhone. Not going to lie despite its limitations it was comparatively a great phone afa never having any problems, bugs, lag, call quality, and still best reception i've ever had from any phone (particularly with deep concrete building penetration). But when google started aggressively going after apple's market share by paying for used iphone trade in values greater than their new prices, I took more than I paid for mine and switched to pixel. Am now truly apple free in 2019. I get it though, the love. They are premium, nicely made devices that work well, and would never 2nd guess anyone's choice who wants to pay the premium and enjoys their advantages.

Edit: oh someone mentioned microsoft surface line. Briefly tried and returned a surface tablet andtheir first gen notebook (the one whose display detached into a tablet). Found those the worst of both worlds. The cumbersome pc OS, with the intrusive updates and bugs shutdowns/freezes, but in the compromised physical package like a tablet. Did like the surface laptop's display though, taller, less wide (don't watch movies on mobile devices).

When I first discovered the concept of HT bass transducers that attach to your seat, that literally shake your ass, I immediately thought of a similar motorized contraption that would have multiple pistons extending out to each listening position. One attaches to your chest harness, the second to your chin strap. the third to the groin cage. Motor pulls and pushes each shaft in and out at the bass content's frequency. You are super sore the next day, after watching a movie with lots of high output content down into the single digit Hz, but you do feel those Hz.

Similarly way back when vibration video game controllers came out, was thinking why not have electric shock feedback plates on controllers. I seriously think those would have taken off.

#41 likestohypeguy, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Oh, youll definitely be sore with that concealable subwoofer and youll definitely feel the HERTZ.

Xerobull likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yep... and it's a tax write-off. :)

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

the last time i bought an apple product they were still using their spectrum apple logo. this might change now i've lost my patience with google/android products.

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I’ve been an Apple guy since 1992 doing graphic design and production back in the day it was the only thing to use. I’ve had so many of their products over the years and I have had very few problems with my personal products or the products I managed for the firms I worked for.

Now I work in marketing for a global pc manufacturer so I have to use windows but I still prefer the Mac OS.

Wife’s iMac is great. Love my new iPad Pro, my iPhone X and all the previous models i’ve owned since the OG iPhone have been great. Never had any problems with the apple TV’s we’ve owned and I finally broke down and bought ear pods and I LOVE them. Like most apple products they work so seamlessly I don’t know how I ever made it without them.

I always thought I’d be the first in line for the Apple Watch, and I did buy one for my daughter, but even though at my age and family history I could use an EKG I just can’t bring myself to buy one when I’m trying harder each day to unplug from the grid.

peleincubus likes this.
  6. MystikArkitect

I’ve been using the iPhone (6S Plus and X) for 4 years this November. This’ll probably be my last Apple product. Had the Apple Watch and swapped it for a Galaxy Gear S3 (Spotify). Will be picking up a Note when it releases in August to replace my X.

Apple’s Ecosystem is awful (imo) compared to Google’s. It strong arms you into using inferior apps (why can’t I set address links to open with Google Maps??) and when I had Apple Music for a bit it consistently would start without my permission any time it connected to a BT device or my vehicle. There was no way to stop this from happening. I looked online and everyone said to just turn my volume down. Wtf? I know why this would happen too. Apple wanted to make sure it’s stream count looked higher than it is. This is my issue with Apple as a company. They do these little underhanded things and hope you just don’t notice or don’t care.

Went to look at the new Galaxy phone and I could honestly say it’s the first time I felt a phone be superior to an Apple device both from a design standpoint and a usage standpoint.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya the address thing is irritating. I have to copy and paste it into google maps every time.

My car also automatically starts playing anything in my Music app if I hook it up via USB. I had to unpair it from bluetooth because it would do this:

1. audio playing through spotify
    2. call comes in and I answer via BT, and I end the call
    3. apple music starts playing. GRRR
    4. I have to go back to spotify and press play.

To stop the madness of it playing the same damn song every time I hooked it up to USB, I created a "blank" MP3 file and transferred it via iTunes to the phone. So even though it's playing, I won't hear it. Then I go to spotify and start playing what I want.

Why even have a file you ask? Well without any songs in my Music app...the car just says Unable to play and won't do anything else.

It's the little things about apple products that irritate the crap out of you. I have a 2015 macbook pro I let my sister have. The sharp edges, the weird trackpad...not my cup of tea. The reverse scrolling if you hook up a mouse vs the trackpad..like wtf.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You can reverse the scrolling on the track pad via settings.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

"In System Preferences > Mouse there's a setting "Scroll direction: natural", which I don't like, so I unset. The problem is that this also unsets the setting for Trackpad, which I do like.

How can you have different settings for mouse and trackpad?

(In case you can't understand the rationale for wanting them different, and think this is a ridiculous question, here is the reasoning. Mice have had scroll wheels for decades, and the direction of the wheel turning has always been in sync with the motion of the scrollbar. This is, in my opinion, the most natural way to do things, even though it is the opposite of what Apple calls "natural". On the other hand, I'm perfectly willing to use Apple's "natural" scrolling for trackpads, because the metaphor here is that you're moving your fingers across a page, just as if you were using an iOS device's touchscreen. The idea that Apple treats these as the same thing, when they are conceptually completely different is very odd to me. I don't want to change a decades-old habit with the mouse, just because Apple changed their idea of how a trackpad should work. I embrace the trackpad change because it makes sense to anyone who uses an iPhone or iPad (and I use both) but I'm not willing to rewire my brain's way of using the mouse.)"

The reason I can't get used it is because I use a windows computer at work 40 hrs a week..it's too much back and forth between the trackpad, the iphone, the external mouse a mac, the windows mouse.

I did use a scroll reverse app to separate out the two.

10. bobrek

I don't have a mouse to test with. Are you saying that if you set the mouse, it automatically sets the trackpad to mimic the mouse setting regardless of what you have settings->track pad set to?

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

There's no mouse vs trackpad setting in MacOS.

If you DISABLE "Scroll direction: natural" in System Preferences, then:
    • Mouse scroll direction is CORRECT (i.e. rotate wheel towards you = scroll DOWN)
    • Trackpad scroll direction is INCORRECT (i.e. drag the page up makes it move down = scroll UP)
    If you ENABLE "Scroll direction: natural" in System Preferences, then:
    • Mouse scroll direction is INCORRECT (i.e. rotate wheel towards you = scroll UP)
    • Trackpad scroll direction is CORRECT (i.e. drag the page up makes it move up = scroll DOWN)

Scroll Reverse app is the cure.

[​IMG]

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I hope you like Google tracking EVERYTHING you do. They don't care about you privacy. Android sucks. Unless you u root your phone, forget about timely updates. The malware in the play store is horrrible.

13. bobrek

I have the scrolling within Settings->trackpad

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 7.42.59 PM.jpg

Mr.Scarface likes this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

All that explanation and it still went over your head. You only have ONE setting. For both mouse AND trackpad.

I WANT TWO! One for external mouse. One for trackpad. Apple doesn't think so.

15. bobrek

Wow..just trying to help. As I said, I don't have a mouse to plug in to see what its settings show. Screw it..I'm out

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Everything is tracked now. You're not protected from Google and Amazon simply because you're using an iphone. Quite frankly, I dont care if Im being tracked.
    Its not going to be the end of the world if I get an update a couple months later.
    I have never had issues with malware. Thats not to say it doesnt exist. Just like anything, dont blindly accept something w/out knowing what it is.

Im not going to claim IOS/Apple sucks. Its a good product. Its just not for me. I like functionality and customization and open source. I also dont like being forced into an ecosystem or being forced into obsolesce.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First generation apple products usually have the worst support.
    I got the first generation watch. You can’t get any of the good features on the new watches plus the battery sucks.
    I can get like $25 credit if I traded it in to apple.

18. MystikArkitect

Apple probably cares less than Google does so that’s not really a concern. Another of my favorite iPhone features is the update system.

Hey we have an update for you! Wanna install?

Nah I’m good thanks.

Ok! Just put your pin in here so we can just install it anyway!

You have to go down and reject the update twice for them not to install it on your phone. Oh and going back to the maps thing, instead of giving you the option to just use Google Maps to open address links, it asks you if you want to go to the App Store to restore Apple Maps. Lordy.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I had seem some funny tweets about a Monitor Holder . . .thought that was going to be where this went

Rocket River

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You're probably one of those "smart" folks who refuse updates to windows lol. I bet you're an antivaxer too LMAO