1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Have you suggested to him to cook more than just one? :D

Astrodome likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I might need to have a read through this thread.

But I'm heading to Texas next Summer.

Originally doing a Contiki trip down South, but going to be in Texas from 1st July for at least two weeks, hoping for three.

All I plan on doing is seeing where the road takes me. I want to experience small out of town places to get a true taste of Texas.

But speaking of taste, a few days or a week will be spent planning around driving to bbq places, a sort of bbq tour I guess.

I think I'll be at Franklins as part of the contiki, and if not I'll have that at the start of the trip and work my way from there.

What are y'all suggestions where I go from there!

4. Buck Turgidson

As much as I'd like him to be, he's not totally wrong. Not sure that it's any sort of widespread problem but there are places I've noticed around here that get way too happy with their spice rub, especially on the pork.

"milder flavors of...." is not something I'm going to ever touch or defend

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lockhart BBQ in Texas (started by family members of the Kreuz family) opened a few years ago in Dallas and people complained about the same thing. I think they broke down and gave in, too. Tragic. Probably due to Californians and wannabe BBQ people from Memphis. :D

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I typically don't like most BBQ sauces. I have to admit to a sacrilege though. When I run across a place with a white BBQ sauce I have been known to partake and really like them.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Roegels bbq in Houston is legit .
    It’s also great that it’s not in the burbs

basso, Blake and arif1127 like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Go around Alabama. I think they’re known for that.

9. Asian Sensation

White bbq sauce? Never knew such a thing existed. Is it like ranch?

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Texas pulled pork? There isn't such a thing. I don't go to NC expecting to get great brisket, and I don't expect great pulled pork in Texas.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If the pig was born/raised in Texas and the pulled pork was made from the same pig in Texas, then wouldn't it qualify as Texas pulled pork? :p

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes it is. Been many times. Some days they get a little too pepper happy but the ribs are fantastic.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

do you guys feel ripped off every time you order ribs by the lb? Sometime I feel like asking the cashier, can I get 1/2 of the money back if I return the bones back after I'm done? WIsh they just charge by the rack or 1/2 rack or something similar

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can also have taco bell in China.

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

No. Always get more food than I ask when I hit up a Texas Q joint.

17. Buck Turgidson

Mayo/mustard/vinegar/sometimes horseradish, and a few spices. It tastes like you think it would.

Dunno where the hell you're from, but slow cooking pork is a longstanding tradition here in Texas. Hell, the Germans around here often use(d) a vinegar/mustard base to sop the pork butts with, pretty much just like NC bbq. which I love.

When I was talking about overly rubbed pork, I was specifically talking about ribs, sorry if I didn't say that (given that it's hard to overspice an ~8 lb pork butt or a ham)

18. Asian Sensation

So basically a concoction of my least favorite condiments lol. I wonder if it magically becomes good when they’re all mixed together. Do you like it? What do you put it on?

19. Buck Turgidson

Only tried it once with bbq (I had no idea that white bbq sauce existed until then) and didn't care for that combo. Unbeknownst to me, I've been making something very similar (mayo/horseradish/whole grain dijon/black pepper) for years and using it as a dip for artichokes and asparagus, also not bad on a grilled chicken sammich.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Tried Kats in Santa Fe. Sausage and spades were great, brisket was ok but not as great as people had been saying it was.

Their homemade pickles were fantastic tho.

For those down south Pennies is still the best brisket I’ve had in a while.