1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. body slam

body slam Member

Anyone try Tejas Chocolate and BBQ in Tomball. Caught the end of it on Texas Bucket List and of course they said its good.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I believe it's in the top ten of TX monthly.

3. Buck Turgidson

Hey, I saw the same last 5 minutes or so of it this morning as well. The pastrami cured beef rib looked quite interesting.

And yeah, TX Monthly had them rated quite well, iirc.

4. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

that's a bit of blanket statement... not many places will just "give" you extra or more free of charge.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tried these dudes out at the TMBBQF
    definitely worth it

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

They charge for that "extra" food. So if you get a 1/2 lb of ribs, and it ends up at .6, they charge you for .6, not .5.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just learned of a place not too far from me up here in the DFW area that uses prime and wagyu briskets... may have to try that soon.

8. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Name?

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Hunted likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you know of any Butchers in DFW that sell Wagyu (or Prime) brisket? There's one in Cleveland, and I did a brisket with my brother-in-law for a visit in August. very good.

11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Some Costcos in the DFW area carry Prime briskets.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Costco actually sells A5 wagyu imported from Japan (frozen) on their website. It'll cost you, though.

I've seen American wagyu being sold at various farmers markets (mostly steaks). Honestly, the ones I've seen didn't seem to have marbling much better than a prime cut, to be honest. I've had a friend buy some wagyu ribeyes from Hirsch's Meats in Plano, and they've got a good reputation and been around for a long time, but again, when I saw the cut, it didn't look like something I'd pay extra for, but he did say it tasted good.

If you want to try another route, or buy "sight unseen", you could always have Creekstone Farms ship a prime brisket to you. It'll cost about $120 for a 12-14 pounder (includes shipping, I believe). It's where Franklin BBQ used to (and may still) get their briskets.

The BBQ place I mention above, Tender Smokehouse, gets their wagyu briskets from the same town (Celina -- a far north suburb of Dallas) at a ranch called the A Bar N Ranch. They have a website you can buy from : https://www.abarnmeats.com/

Outside of that, there may be some butchers that carry it, but I'm not sure about who to recommend.

heypartner likes this.
  13. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Never said they give me a anything free of charge. When I order at a Texas Q joint, I don’t leave not full. And most sides are a heap of awesomeness. Pinkertons is a perfect example of a big, great meal.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

not sure if you missed my point or not, but when it comes to ribs, not sure why places charge by the lb knowing most of the ribs are BONE.

15. Buck Turgidson

When you buy a rack of ribs at the grocery store, do you pay by the lb?

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not going to scroll through 72 pages. Can someone tell me the hours of the Truth BBQ Waugh location? Same as Brenham?

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The 72 pages of this thread would be the best place to find that information.

18. Buck Turgidson

Have they even opened yet?

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

Actually, maybe not. I read a Chron article that said they were opening a year ago (from 1 1/2 years ago), but I just went on their Twit account and that obviously wasn't the case.

Started hiring on Nov. 13 for Houston location and closed their Brenham location on Dec. 8th to work on the Houston location.

Looks like it should be any day now.

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

from the meat dept yes, but that's apple and orange comparing groceries and restaurants. Actually if you go to many non-bbq restaurants like chili's, TGI Fri, Applebee's they charge by 1/2 or full racks.