1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Not only that, but their sides and sauces are amazing as well... and one of the best quesos in Houston.

FYI - If The Pit Room is packed, the owner also owns "The Patio on Richmond" (used to be Jackson's Watering Hole) right next door. You can order BBQ at the Patio Bar or you can go through the Pit Room line and take it to The Patio bar to eat.

2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'd do this for people in Houston.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

texanskan, B-Bob, basso and 1 other person like this.
  5. what

what Member

Texas BBQ is starting to seem over spiced to me. All you can taste is the rub. I miss the milder flavor of Memphis pulled pork.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Have not tried the pit room yet

Had Roegels brisket for dinner. Still my favorite in town. Ribs were damn good as well

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Pennies in Galveston is legit.

Also Pappas Delta Blues is fantastic.

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has anyone made it to Loro in Austin, Franklin’s new venture?

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I did something really dumb yesterday. I had a grandiose vision of nachos with bbq brisket on top with some taters, onion, and cheese. I wanted a quick option on the bbq brisket...so I went for a small pre-made tub of it at the grocery store. And, it was on sale. I f-ed up and didn't check the date on it. Turns out it was 2 months beyond the "Use By" date. So, I start thinking..."umm...it seems okay. I don't see any mold. But, it's only been refrigerated the whole time. I think I may gamble with my life and eat this anyway". So, I peel back the non-pressure seal and take a whiff. It smells okay. It smells like BBQ. I'm actually thinking I'm going to eat this. Surely, the BBQ sauce and sugar in it preserved the meat okay. It probably wouldn't taste very good at this point, I finally wised up, and I decided against it. Now, I'm going to take it back and get a refund on this cheap ass BBQ.

I was then tempted to just go get some freshly made BBQ but I decided against it. Instead, I decided to pull a frozen ribeye out of the freezer, thaw it, grill it, and use that. The nachos turned out pretty good anyway.

I can't believe I almost ate that tub of 2 month old cheap-ass BBQ. It was cooked and I probably would have survived but LOL. I might have got me a good case of food poisoning, though.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I have. It's really good. Don't go there expecting great BBQ or Japanese(Uchi owner is the partner). It's also semi counter service, so don't go expecting great service either. It's just well executed food with a neat ambiance.

#1391 rockbox, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    basso likes this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Tried Pinkerton's for the first time on Saturday. Got there right at 11 and were the first ones there.

- Pork ribs were the best I've had in Houston. Got them glazed (can also get them with dry rub), I'd go back just for these.
    - Moist brisket was good, a little fattier than most but still very good.
    - Heard a lot about their beef ribs and even got there early in case they sold out. Overall they were okay but nothing spectacular, thought the pork ribs and brisket were better. Same with the jalapeno cheese sausage.
    - Their duck jambalaya was amazing. Also got potato salad, mac and cheese, and jalapeno cheese rice, all pretty good. But the jambalaya is the way to go.

Need to give Pit Room another shot. Remember the BBQ being good but the dining room was infested with horse flies that day for some reason and really took away from it.

13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

go boil some pork then, natural flavor right there :)

likestohypeguy likes this.
  14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

pit room is awesome... i don't get bbq very often but their brisket and sausages are some of the best i've had. brisket taco in a brisket fat tortilla and a side of charred okra... next level amazing.

Svpernaut likes this.
  15. Svpernaut

I know I had mentioned beef ribs elsewhere in the thread, and I just wanted to let those interested know that the various Spring Creek BBQs in the area have beef ribs Fridays and Saturdays for about $16 a pound. It is a pretty great mid-grade rib on my beef rib "scale of awesome," so if you dig beef ribs and want a decent beef rib at a good price, check out Spring Creek. It is certainly worth the extra mileage over Pappas BBQ, with the only stipulation needed is that it is the weekend.

I've passed by the Katy Freeway location the past two Fridays on my way home from the office and got some to go.

16. Svpernaut

If the dining room is crowded at the Pit Room, take your order next door to The Patio on Richmond bar - it is owned by the same people. I've been there about 10 times at lunch rush, and about half the time I eat over at The Patio.

gucci888 likes this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:eek:

Heard on Texas Standard on KUHF

Kreuz Market added BBQ sauce to the menu and forks are now available.

Riots in Lockheart.

Film at eleven.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Tried Pinkerton’s while I was in town for thanksgiving. Porks ribs were great, best in the city. Moist brisket was also the best I have had, comparable to franklins. Pulled pork and boudin were fine, not in the same class as the other 2. Beef ribs and chicken were sold out. Cheesy rice was amazing, good potato salad, good jambalaya, good Mac and cheese

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Every time I see this post, I picture some little old man in a rest home complaining that his jello is too cold.

Rashmon and arkoe like this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

For any folks south of houston, my buddy has a spot open on just Saturdays in manvel called Old Bucs. He cooks a prime brisket and they usually sell out around 2 PM. It is on hwy 6 past the high school on the left if you are coming from 288.

It is worth the drive.

713 likes this.