1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. BackdoorHarden

Yea, NBA is all about star players. ELITE talent. That's why Rockets took Warriors to 7 games even with an injured CP3 because they have 2 of the Top 10 players in the League.

The history of the league is entirely won on superstars except for rare cases such as the Dream, Dirk, and those Billup Piston teams, but they had 5 All Stars players on that team, just not any All NBA MVP type

BigMaloe likes this.
  2. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Yeah this is a fist pump deal. My only concern is who would be our backup PF if this trade happens (would have to be Ennis or Chriss which really stinks), but this move makes our defense insane as CP3/Harden can take more plays off on offense and Butler is a stud on both ends.

D-rock, DonKnock and Reeko like this.
  3. munco

munco Member

EG and Tucker are valuable and an excellent fit but Butler is a great player. Complete no brainer to trade for him if it's for EG, Tucker, and a first. Hard to imagine that the Twolves can't get more for him tbh

D-rock likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I can see why Minny might actually want to do this. Butler is gone after this year they actually get players who will be under contract and contribute even though they are lesser players than Butler. Andrew Wiggins sucks but they just went all in on him so they move Wiggins to the starting 2 with EGo backing up. Then they have Tucker as their starting 3. I hate losing Tucker, but it's selling high on him. I still think it takes more to pry away Butler.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Your philosophy to team building is literally the antithesis to reality and you better believe that morey views it the same way. You win championships in this league w stars, not by stockpiling role players. I feel like a lot of folks here have a hard time grasping that concept.

We're trying to compete w one of the greatest teams ever assembled and some of y'all are worried about losing PJ f@cking Tucker.... smh

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Ennis, melo, butler, harden all play the 4 in this roster construction

Red Chocolate and DonKnock like this.
  7. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

with a harden-cp3-centric offense... jimmy butler becomes more of a catch and shoot guy a la trevor ariza but someone who can create better when defenses close out. d'antoni based offenses are always predicated on the point guard. and with the current team, there is a clear pecking order with harden, then cp3, and then the rest. pj tucker doesn't care if he doesn't get any shots whatsoever... he'll play at a 100mph on every possession, setting hard screens, boxing out, playing in your face defense. he knows his role to a T. eg knows hes mostly there to stretch the floor and also for some secondary playmaking and is a great teammate. on the other hand, is jimmy butler willing to play second fiddle in a contract year? is he willing to play significant portions of a game strictly being a catch and shoot player and fill in as a better version of ariza? who knows...

after gm1 of the wcf, eric gordon was complaining about all the isos that the rockets were running with cp3 and harden, and how players need to get in rhythm.. and eg has way less diva in him than jimmy butler. imagine what would happen if jimmy goes without touching the ball on 3 straight possessions - my guess is he probably wouldn't be as motivated to play 2nd-team all nba caliber defense on the other end without getting consistent touches on the offensive side. then again, d'antoni is an offensive genius so i'm sure he'll think of something.

i'm not here to say i'm against butler bc he really would put us over gsw if we just measure teams on paper. no other team in the nba would have a better top 5 than us. but chemistry is all too fleeting in sports and shouldn't be taken for granted either. i just don't see how we can maintain that same chemistry from last season's team (that we all know actually beat gsw in the wcf) if you take out not one, but two, of our most important glue guys. we'll see...

Y2JT, hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Tyus would be a great pickup but their FO has to know he’s good. They should look to dump Teague before dealing Jones.... but who knows, maybe we could squeeze him into a deal if their dumb enough.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

he’ll be doing more catch and shoot here, but I think he’ll also have plenty of opportunities to have the ball in his hands and do his thing

Butler isn’t really a high usage player to begin with...his career high in usage rate is only 26.5%...his career high in shot attempts is only 16.5 a game...last season he only took 15.6 shots a game which was slightly less than Wiggins and a little over 1 more shot a game than Towns despite being the best player on the team...last year his usage rate was barely higher than Ego’s, and it didn’t stop him from playing defense at an All-2nd Team level

he can get his 15-16 shots here and maintain a similar usage rate to what he’s had throughout his career playing next to Harden and CP3

Tuck knows his role and is great at what he does which is why I would definitely prefer not to lose him, and the chemistry won’t be the same as last year, but Butler just makes our team better and gives us a higher ceiling...I will take the chemistry risks and loss of a couple of role players all day

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Should I evacuate Katy?

ramotadab likes this.
  11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Why? Both are defensive players that can spell Tucker / Butler while they are out. That is all you can ask for.

12. psingh34

psingh34 Member

i can see someone like a Quincy Acy being a adequate replacement for tucker on a team that had Harden/Paul/Butler/Capela

Why not? likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

CP3
    Harden
    Butler
    Melo
    CC

...that has the potential to be one of the greatest starting 5's ever assembled... yeh i know most think Melo is washed, but I think he's reached a point where he will listen to MDA, he's gonna have Harden pulling the D, CP3 feeding him open looks - mark my words, the dude's gonna have a decent to good year...

"oh, but let's not be willing to give up PJ to make it happen..." .....lmfao...

Y2JT and hakeem94 like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

I cant argue with the numbers, those are great. What EG and Tuck do for us are very important. PJ prolly had the best on and off numbers after Paul and Harden. Eric Gordon works great as BOTH an on ball and off ball threat. He spaces the floor farther than most in the league. All I'm saying is that realistically he'll most likely match the output of both or makes us slightly better...maybe. And that wont push us past the Warriors with Cousins.

Also damn man, you got no love for E Gordon at all haha?(nothing to do with what we are talking about though)

Hmmm, brining up the CP trade you may have a point though. I could be underestimating his impact by a lot and be letting my attachments getting in the way, but I feel that Gordon and Tucker are alot better than what we traded for CP.

Ideally though, l would want it to be one or the other...and if I had to pick, yes Gordon like everyone else has been saying.

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. kjayp

plenty of teams could outbid us... the question is would they - if Butler says he has no intention on re-signing with them...?

Bobsputin and D-rock like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Are you assuming we dont give up Tucker in this trade? Cause if thats the scenario I'm fine with it, if you think one of those guys can REPLACE PJ's output there is where I have an issue.

clutchdabear likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

See its this right here, how can you be so disrespectful after seeing the kind of performance he had in the playoffs. Like him and EG are just some bums we can replace off the street.

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

How the **** do you think this man played in the playoffs, go check his freaking numbers(his advanced stats). What the hell is wrong with you people, PJ is not some bum, my god.

Edit: Alright I'm overreacting a little here, but I think its weird that yall are coming across like PJ is some bum.

hakeem94 and clutchdabear like this.
  19. kjayp

I never said either were bums... i like em both - but Butler is on another level... the goal of any trade is that you walk away with the best player involved - and this would most assuredly be the case if we acquired Butler....

Would I rather keep EG or PJ? Hell yeah.... but i wouldn't let adoration for either (or both) of them stand in the way of acquiring a marquee player like Butler.

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Funny, I got flamed a few weeks ago for hypothesizing that Butler could potentially use leverage to get to Houston.

I like and respect both Gordon's and PJ's games, but if we can get Jimmy we'll have to feel some pain.

However, Morey pulled a rabbit out of his ass with the Ryno deal, he usually has something else in mind. So in Morey I trust.