1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mollie Tibbetts murder suspect ID’d as Cristhian Rivera, 24, living in US illegally

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Aceshigh7, Aug 21, 2018.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm curious about his employment. They said he passed through the E-Verify system, which would mean several possibilities:

1) The system is garbage (since it is matching name and SSN/ITIN, it seems unlikely).
    2) He had the documents of somebody who was legal
    3) He was formerly legal
    4) They are lying

It is interesting because E-Verify stands as one of the most cost effective ways to curb illegal aliens.

CometsWin and Nook like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

White lives matter.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, who told you that lie?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Should the man who had the killer working on his farm for the better part of a decade face charges?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see why if the guy really did pass an E-Verify check.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

You do know that there is no way you can fully secure the border right.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

But id he still allowed him to work for him he to should be held accountable.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I talked to my dad who lives in Iowa about thirty minutes from Brooklyn, Iowa; he wonders if the business owner is lying about the background check thing. Although it could be checked in two seconds.

All of this debate. The whole thing is just sad. A bright, lovely, decent woman with a long life ahead of her, snuffed out because of some stalker. Sounds like he freaked out when she threatened to call the cops (he was following her in his vehicle, then got out and ran alongside her). The poor family.

Having also attended the University of Iowa (ROX = Rockets, TX = Texas, IA = Iowa) and knowing very well those rural areas and small towns, it strikes a little close to home for me.

TheFreak and CometsWin like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not really true, it could be done, it's just that neither party really wants to do it. One is too pro-illegal immigration to want it and the other is too pro-business to want it.

Do we hold all companies accountable for crimes committed by those who work for them? If the guy really passed the E-Verify check and a background check, there's no grounds whatsoever to go after his employer.

jcf likes this.
  11. edwardc

edwardc Member

Come on BTG all Lives Matter

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He very well could be, for all we know the E-Verify check never happened, or he used a different name in order to pass.

It's absolutely a tragedy and people will be rightfully angry when someone who allegedly shouldn't have been in the country to begin with commits a crime like this. It's adding insult to injury. Either way though, there's nothing that will bring the woman back.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

So should the same apply to the store worker that supposedly sold liquor to the young man that crashed and killed those two young girls .

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's close to it, but in reality No Lives Matter. We just feel like some do sometimes if they happen to have some connection to us or if it is politically beneficial to. That's not a criticism BTW, it's just how it is.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know the specific story you are talking about so I can't say for certain, but there are circumstances where a store worker should face charges such as if they didn't check an ID before selling alcohol to a minor who then went on to have some kind of drunken mishap. It has to be negligence though, if they checked ID then that would change things.

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

I can see where your coming from on that if it was verified and a mishap happens it's not on the owner.

17. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

Few things are 100% effective. However, the fact remains that admittance to this country is the federal governments responsibility, and therefore any failure in the system is its responsibility. Someone earlier mentioned visa overstays are the largest violation. Not relevant as illegal is illegal. The visas should be electronically logged and raise an alert if it is overstayed. Then immediately hunt the person down and get them out. There is so much more that could be done, and it isn't being done. Since this is D&D I'll make the closing incendiary opinion: Every single crime committed by someone illegally in this country is the responsibility of the federal government, and the victims of such crimes should be suing for negligence.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately that's where "sovereign immunity" comes into play, you can't sue the government for negligence when it comes to "discretionary function or duty"....meaning they are off the hook for failing to secure the border and protect the people from those who have no business being here in the first place.

If not for that, you might actually get people in the government to care a little bit and do the right thing.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

I have a question are you and others willing to pay the taxes to have the number of people it will take to as you say hunt them down and get them out.

CometsWin likes this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

They so obviously need to address the immigration issue but I don't know if either side is doing so, really doing so. Kasich was at least proposing a guest worker program, something like that. There are a lot of jobs in this country that Joe American just won't do; take scores of ICE agents there into farm country and see how many illegals you round up. Tough back-breaking work. But it has to be done.

Get a real system and stick with it. Easy to say, I guess. Probably won't solve the problem overall. The extremist wing is talking about building a wall that either can't be built in its entirety (the terrain along part of the border prohibits a complete wall) or would be so cost-prohibitive, and funded by us (certainly not by Mexico).

That poor girl's family. Just a random, stupid moment, ending with a dead young woman and a political soccer ball that will never make it into the goal.

CometsWin likes this.