1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Came here to post this. He looks concerned and/or bothered. Hopefully this doesn’t damage what is a very strong clubhouse.

UTSA2step and The Beard like this.
  2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

What's with the ' ' around impactful? Verlander had a 2.31 ERA in his last 11 starts with the Tigers, so it's not like Luhnow simply prayed that he would return to his old days. He was already pitching like an ace when we got him, so I'd say he was a clear impactful pitcher

crose likes this.
  3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

More likely the downside happens and he continues getting lit up by the Yankees...

4. Houston_Rockets

You know the Astros just made a trade that 100% makes us better going forward, that is how cold Osuna is as a closer ( and how young with 2 and a half seasons of control), and how much of a mental midget Guiles is plus depth prospects, and Astros fans will waist their time talking about how bad of a citizen Mr Osuna is.

Some won't support Osuna, even tho he is an Astro, which these people claim to be fans of. People live in this world where Verlander and Altuve and all of these guys are role models as human beings, when most of them are just good at baseball. Guriel before last season incident was a great human, then one gesture and he is done, some will never cheer for him when playing the game of baseball, because they don't even understand his background and why the gesture was made. Why bother when you can just label him racist.

Here are the facts, we just got our closer for 3 WS runs ateast, for peanuts because you have a gm that did his homework on his personality, what and why it happened, and decided that people that make a mistake, in the heat of the moment, should not be labeled and ostracised by society without bothering to understand how the guy that did it feels about it.

The other fact is that our bullpen now has the personal to be elite, but most importantly dependable in high leverage situations, but we still need a bat to energize the bottom of our lineup, that has been consistently bad and unproductive for a long time IMO.

Nippystix, crose and raining threes like this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

They didn't have to carry us to contribute. The point is it's hard to argue about a championship roster. Whose to say folty or however else you think we should have kept would have helped us win a championship. You can't assume that. But you do know that the roster constructed as it was last year won a title. So why argue that our gm looses trades?

6. raining threes

Care to pint out anywhere in my post where I referred to you as a SJW?

Or are you trying to put words in my mouth?

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Read my post 180. I already said my bad and apologized. I had you and a poster immediately above you confused reading on my cell phone. Again, my bad

Nas likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Perhaps, but we benefit either way.

Giles
    1) Does well - He can stick it to the Yanks and Red Sox. Maybe cost them a game or two.
    2) He Doesn't - Then we are vindicated for getting rid of him and getting something in return.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It wasnt a negative on him, it was to show that there werent many impactful players that were available to be dealt by other teams, but to go by your assumption of Verlander's good stretch, I could also say Mike Fiers is an Ace with the stretch he put on for us.

10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

****... we actually have the best bullpen in the majors now?

Nook likes this.
  11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Osuna has served his time, paid his debt to society, and now it's time to bring us another World Series Championship! Now it's time to assault the Yankees, Red Sox, and any other playoff foes!

Loving the fact that we've got a Mexican national on the team!!

UTSA2step and Trackwell like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. raining threes

Not a thing at all,

Sometimes I come off as harsh.

You have every right to feel the way you do.

I just look at giving/being given second chances in life as a blessing.

# Different life experiences

bigdaddy likes this.
  14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

When Luhnow sent Giles down the day after his tirade I commended him for taking a stand.

This one hurts.

15. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Doesn’t seem like basic assault. In one of the post they had a link to the news that stated
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4196728/roberto-osuna-holding-cell/amp/

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Osuna is really really good.

18. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

You have no problem with his wording and only see one absolute side to it? Ok.

19. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

At hitting women.

20. Marteen

Marteen Member

From a talent perspective: I'm on board. Jeff Luhnow's job is to field the best team possible.

From a human perspective: I don't blame anyone not liking this move.