1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. raining threes

We know how you feel.

You've already written a small novel about your feelings.

LOL

Plowman likes this.
  2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Sure, but it seems you are arbitrarily deciding what is considered a "small trade." I'm not trying to argue with you, I just think off the top of my head, I can name as many good, if not great trades, as poor trades (losing Hader being the big one). To each their own.

raining threes likes this.
  3. raining threes

I recall this.

I also recall the hysteria and people calling me crazy when I said I was on board with adding Osuna. People are quite funny when it comes to being hypocritical sometimes.

houstonstime and bigdaddy like this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Luhnow has had a spotty record in terms of trades over the years, notably the Carlos Gomez fiasco, but I'd say Verlander trade alone makes up for any failures in the past. Verlander has provided the value of a Chris Sale at essentially half price if not less.

5. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

Well we addressed the bullpen like I hope we would. Just need our damn bats to wake the **** up

Uprising and raining threes like this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Just seeing this after getting off work. From my perspectives...
    - Positives: Giles gone and young stud closer inbound with team control for 2+ years.
    - Cons: Osuna has been accused of DV, but pled Not Guilty. I didn't follow this issue, but seems odd he was suspended 75 games before he's actually been found guilty by a court.

This is clearly a calculated gamble by the team. Luhnow has proven himself by being the GM that guided us to a championship. If we've done our due diligence, we have a good idea he won't be charged and he's learned a lesson no matter what occurred between him and his girlfriend.

I'm so happy Giles is gone. I couldn't stand that guy and I just never trusted him in a game. His body language and facial expressions screamed "I'm a prick". Maybe I'm wrong and he's a really nice guy, but I'm glad his 5 ERA is off to Canada. Paulino is 24 and Perez is 23. They may still develop into something, but it doesn't bother me that either one was traded away.

With our fan base and proximity to Mexico, I'm also happy to have one of our border brothers on the team. Let's hope he is squeaky clean and a model citizen in Houston.

Marteen, Plowman and raining threes like this.
  7. HookemHorns1250

I will wait to hear more about the situation, trial, etc to actually make a judgement on the trade.

I just don’t see Lunhow making his trade with out knowing something... and I’m certainly not going to be “that guy” that just bashed the guy just because he saw the word “Abuse.” Yes it’s a horrible thing, but let’s just wait until after the trial before we crucify the guy as the worst human being on the planet.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I agree and everything is roses in retrospect but Verlander is kind of a grey area for me. He was traded after the non-waiver deadline, many teams passed on him and he was having consecutive down years. Luhnow struck out on everything last year at the non-waiver deadline and had to do something and Verlander was the only 'impactful' pitcher still out there that was on the trade wire. Tigers were sucking and needed to shed salary. It was kind of a perfect mixture of things to come for both sides. We were lucky he turned out great (not without a lot of griping on our fanbase's side) since he was having those down years, and the Tigers were extremely happy to get out from under his contract. I think thats a wash.

Cole on the other hand.....

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did you care when Yuli did this after hitting the home run off Keyshawn?

76AFDCCC-8958-41A0-9F4B-426B0B8DF5CA.jpeg

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There is another plus side to this that I haven't seen mentioned. If Giles can get it together, guess what division he will pitch against most?

#171 jim1961, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  12. Major

Major Member

Marisnick, Gattis, Giles, Fiers and even Gomez were all part of winning our World Series in their own ways. If the regular season plays out differently, who knows if we win or not. If we blow more saves during the season or Fiers doesn't hold the pitching staff together midseason, maybe things tailspin earlier and other pieces don't fall into place. If Gomez and Fiers don't come in 2015, maybe we don't make the playoffs, and last year's team doesn't have that experience, or the front office thinks we're farther away from contention and 2017 is just about hoping to make the playoffs.

All that said, even if you don't think much of any of those guys, it's fascinating that you don't think trading for Verlander was a successful trade.

And beyond that, trades can also have future benefits even if the players don't work out here in Houston. Giles got us Osuna. Happ got us Musgrove, who got us Cole.

crose and RocketJedi like this.
  13. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

LOFL at listing Happ being an All-Star as some sort of evidence against Luhnow. Dude wouldn’t even be in our rotation.

DoitDickau and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The fact that you think I’m a social justice warrior is funny. Nothing could be further from the truth. I should post this on my longhorn site for the Lulz as I’m roundly mocked for being a reactionary conservative. You do you (I’m not trying to stop you or anyone who likes this deal) and I will do me and be concerned with what I’m concerned with.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Verlander's reaction:

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Any trade that netted a player who contributed to the World Series Championship was a good trade. I'm sure we'd all take the Gomez trade back if we could but even that one was worth it since Fiers held the rotation together for a month last season. No other trade turned out lopsided.

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. HookemHorns1250

We had a solid run as baby faces last year, we were due for a heel turn.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Passan is a "douche" because he's not root, root, rootin' for your team's new player who was suspended for 75 games for domestic abuse? What's wrong with you?

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Defer down and in. Aloof on outside corner. Deflection down the middle. JV is such a strategist :)

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

My apologies. I responded to this post thinking you were the one calling out people for being SJW and that wasn’t you. My bad and I’m sorry. Misread the poster on my phone.

raining threes likes this.