1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

U think he should have been banned for life?

He served a very lengthy suspension.

2. MystikArkitect

That’s a really good question that I don’t have the answer to. I do believe if men like him were to be banned for life it would probably prevent domestic violence from occurring in the future.

Wether he should be banned for life or not doesn’t stop it from sending a bad message.

3. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Negative. It would no more stop the atrocious act of domestic violence as the death penalty stops murder.

If Osuna was no more than a janitor at a high school should he never work again? Put him out on the streets? No of course not. Is playing in MLB a privilege, yea probably but again the facts are we will never have all the facts of this case so he has served his suspension and is on a thin line from going forward. I’m of the belief that the message it sends will sit in purgatory. This was a very tight case in that there was no leaks and the victim didn’t want to testify against Osuna, we’ll just not ever get any details

CometsWin likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not allowing 2nd chances after time served also serves a bad message.

Rock Block likes this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Why do you think it would prevent it? Jail/prison doesn’t. People do what they do in the heat of the moment, unfortunately.

I take this topic very seriously, but we still don’t know what happened. Not sure it sends a bad message without real answers.

Hard for me to talk about this here only because I never want to come off as someone that is or would be ok with domestic abuse. Never will be.

whiskeyred and Rock Block like this.
  6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

7. MystikArkitect

The threat of jail/prison prevents a lot of stuff. It’s not going to eliminate it, but reduce it drastically? Of course it would. Abusers and law breakers feast on the leniency of these systems.

The thought of a baseball player facing a 5 year suspension from domestic abuse would definitely make him think twice. 40-60 games is a joke.

mikol13 likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

At the end of the day he was presumed innocent as he wasn’t proven guilty.

9. Malaya

Malaya Member

Is Osuna responsible for all the DV cases in North America? Nah, he is responsible only for his particular incident with his girlfriend/wife.

Will removing him, Chapman, Addison et al stop future cases? Nah, DV dynamics are fed by childhood upbringing, current stress levels, alcohol, anger issues, etc. It happens to celebrities and non-celebrities.

The best thing that can happen is more public awareness of how it can happen and how escalation can be avoided. Luhnow had already intimated that they could ask Osuna to talk to minor league players about the excesses to avoid.

Is Mexican/Latin culture similar to Asian where saving face is very important? Some want Osuna to relate everything that happened like what Chapman did. You don't know the implications to the girlfriend, their families, their child if it becomes public. What is important is he underwent counseling, he is still undergoing counseling, he is abiding by the peace bond. In any profession, anyone with a superior talent, you are willing to give them a second chance.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'll admit in advance this is total message board/twitter fodder, but the @RogueAstros twitter account who claims to know the law had some interesting tweets about the case a couple of weeks ago.

Basically that assault is not a physical act, and he was not charged with battery which would be any variety of physical acts that I think everyone assumes happened.

"

"