1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerry Jones: Cowboys will bench any player who 'disrespects' flag

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Texanasiafan, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said emphatically his players will stand for the national anthem and not disrespect the flag, and if they do, then the player or players will not play.

"If there's anything that is disrespectful to the flag, then we will not play," Jones said after the Cowboys' 35-31 loss to the Green Bay Packers. "Understand? We will not ... if we are disrespecting the flag, then we will not play. Period."

[​IMG]
    Pence bails on 49ers-Colts over anthem actions
    Vice President Mike Pence says he left Sunday's 49ers-Colts game in Indianapolis over protesting that took place during the national anthem.

The topic was raised after Vice President Mike Pence left Sunday's game between the Indianapolis Coltsand San Francisco 49ers after more than 20 Niners knelt during the national anthem with their hands over their hearts, as was the case the previous week.

Pence tweeted a statement in which he said he would not dignify any event that disrespects soldiers, the flag or the anthem.

At the Cowboys' Sept. 25 meeting against the Arizona Cardinals, Jones, his sons Stephen and Jerry Jr. and daughter Charlotte Anderson joined the team's players, coaches and staff on the field prior to the anthem in taking a knee and locking arms. During the anthem, the Jones family stood arm-in-arm with the players.

Damontre Moore and David Irving raised their fists at the end of the anthem before Sunday's game against the Packers. Jones was unaware of their actions when asked after the game.

"We as a team are very much on the page together," Jones said. "We made our expression. I'm very supportive of the team, but under no circumstances will the Dallas Cowboys -- I don't care what happens -- under no circumstances will we as an organization, coaches, players, not support and stand and recognize and honor the flag. Period."

George Atallah, assistant executive director of external affairs at the NFL Players Association, tweeted a statement from the union on players' constitutional rights Sunday night.

[​IMG]

Jones, one of seven NFL owners who donated to Trump's inaugural committee, spoke with the president after the Cowboys played the Cardinals. According to Jones, Trump said the entire issue could have been avoided if the NFL enforced a rule stating players must stand for the national anthem; however, that requirement is not included in the NFL's game operations manual.

According to the manual, "During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking."

NFL players who have demonstrated during the national anthem over the past year have said that they are protesting police brutality and racism -- not the flag or the anthem itself.

"If it comes between the impression or the perception that we're not standing together, supporting each other, or the perception that we're disrespecting the flag, the perception that we're not together will be secondary to not respecting the flag," Jones said. "Respecting the flag is first."

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This explained why Jerry Jones arm locking with his players in week 3 because he did not want any of his players took a knee.

Same action also was taken by the Texans.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You can't make rules like that if it's not part of the CBA. The CBA protects players and lays out what actions are punishable and what actions aren't. Jones overstepping his bounds although that's nothing new from him.

edwardc likes this.
  4. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Much more patriotic to respect the sanctity of life of its citizens over some damn inanimate object. Brainwashed much?

sew, el gnomo and B-Bob like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Same a-hole that signed Greg Hardy.

Fulgore, JeffB, sew and 3 others like this.
  6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

HAHA, really sounds like land of the free...

The US is really messed up.

el gnomo and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Freedom of speech from government but no freedom from consequences yadda yadda.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I would actually root for the Cowboys if every single one (or at least the majority of the starters) would kneel next week.

Rashmon and el gnomo like this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The arm locking was also protesting during the anthem. So...I am not sure what the difference is.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Would he bench Dak?

11. conquistador#11

i wished prescott and zeke rebelled . I doubt he would follow through on that.

give me some glory holes.

el gnomo likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This just a huge win for Trump.

Tremendous job.

Roc Paint likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Cowboys fans are far more forgiving about abusing women than protesting police brutality. Jerry is making a rational decision based on his clients.

Canadiandude likes this.
  14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Jerry opened up his big mouth. Not sure how many players will, but somebody HAS to do it now.

I hope it's somebody important and just destroys their team. I want maximum, irreparable damage.

When the kneeling first started, I was totally against it in a passionate way. But with Trump making himself the main issue and creating a litmus test, I no longer have a problem with it because the issues are no longer respecting the troops and policy brutality.

16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Rashmon, arno_ed and conquistador#11 like this.
  17. hooroo

hooroo Member

People like Jones are no different to those islam extremists losing it over Muhammad cartoons.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This is the kind of thing that would honestly make me want to take a knee if I wasn't already. It just has to be a big enough fish, or several big fish, to do it to call Jerry's bluff.

el gnomo likes this.
  19. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Comparing Jones firing/benching his employee's for being outraged to Islamics killing others for being outraged

Is like me

Comparing your stupid choice of posting that comment to the stupid choices of Hitler.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Just Jerry being Jerry, and protecting his franchise revenue. Cowboys haven't had anyone kneel during the anthem. BUT, he sees this is becoming an issue, and wanted to get out in front of it. That was mostly a message to advertisers, etc I think.