1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

It just strikes me that that's the kind of large deal that usually happens in the offseason, but I am probably wrong.

I would hate to give up both Fisher and Tucker (and at this point I'm not sure I love Tucker that much more, depending on the return), that leaves a huge OF hole that would have to be filled via FA.

2. htownbball

htownbball Member

Why is Lance Lynn not being discussed? 30 years old, pending free agent at the end of the season, Cards are probably not going to contend this season, Lynn has said he wants to be a Card for life, leaving the chance that he'd actually return to the Cards a possibility, which means the Cards may be more willing to deal him.

He doesn't seem to be suffering from any ill effects from his Tommy John in 2016, although he has given up 20 bombs so far this year. Historically he hasn't allowed more than 16 in a season, so it may be an anomaly. He has a 3HR game and a 4HR game which may be skewing the numbers a bit.

Anyway, I don't think he'll cost nearly as much as some of the other guys, maybe a package around Yordan, Moran, and Teoscar? The good thing is they need bats more than they need pitching prospects

3. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I definitely wouldn't give up Yordan for Lynn. He has a 5.01 FIP and a 4.54 xFIP along with a SIERA of 4.44.

CometsWin likes this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Reading a Mets fan site they'd want Tucker, Martes. and McHugh or Fiers for DeGrom. The earliest DeGrom could be a free agent is 2021. With the emergence of Fisher, the loss of Tucker doesn't hurt as much. I'd rather trade Fisher than Tucker but I'd do either deal. DeGrom is legit.

texans1095, mikol13 and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'd do that for DeGrom, and wouldn't hesitate. Unlike Gray, Quintana or Cole, he has no huge red flags. He's also playoff proven and team controlled. That's the kind of guy you give up a huge package for.

Given what the Cubs gave up for Quintana, I doubt that package would be enough. Good oufielders can be acquired a multitude of ways if we need one.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

DeGrom had elbow surgery last year and hasn't yet pitched 200 innings (not that 191 is far off).

And yes, you'd have to take that deal if you were Luhnow, but the Mets would look stupid.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Saw that. He'd certainly be cheaper now...but probably not a good addition this season.

8. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Yeah, I don't see the Astros trading for Jeff Samardizja or Johnny Cueto. Since Luhnow has taken over, they haven't taken on large, multiyear contracts.

Really hope they can get Degrom or Stroman. Since everyone in the AL is still in the wildcard race, except for the A's, I doubt we see a move until the trade deadline.

9. Buck Turgidson

Luhnow would be on the next flight to NY to help him pack.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

At this point between the injury and contract, I'd be shocked if Cueto was traded. This may be part of the reason we are seeing more Samardzija rumors, as if San Fran wants to add some young pieces trading Shark is probably the best way to do it since Cuetos value is so low.

11. Buck Turgidson

Stupid baseballs, it's been a league-wide problem this year.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I've long thought that if Luhnow could find a team that values McHugh appropriately, he could be used as part of a deal for a ToR SP. McHugh was one of the most valuable pitchers in baseball from 2014-2016 (22nd among all pitchers in fWAR). If the Mets have a lot of faith in Synergaard, Gsellman, Wheeler, and Matz, McHugh would be a fantastic 5th starter. If I were the Mets GM, a package of Tucker, Martes, McHugh, and Moran for DeGrom would be hard for me to pass up.

13. conquistador#11

My good friend, wonderful people's, told me peeing over your hands does wonders for blisters. Preferably your own urine otherwise it's just weird unless you're into that.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Seams must be made out of Friendly jellyfish.

15. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I haven't looked up any numbers on a per pitcher basis...but I wonder if all the blisters have anything to do with the increase in breaking ball usage league wide.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So if that was the package, we would want to give up McHugh and not Fiers? Just wondering who everyone here values more.

17. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

DeGrom is good but he has durability concerns and he is already 29. I'm not sure I am giving up all of that to bring him on. Seems like we would be overpaying. The market might dictate that at the current moment, but there is just no way I would give up that much for a guy that can't eat innings.

18. KeuchelForPresident

If I understood the Dodgers broadcasters correctly, they blamed these blister issues on the new ball seams that are said to be lower and perhaps made from a different, harder type of fiber than before. Nice that none of our guys have been complaining of blisters. But I do have to wonder if MLB will change the balls once again to respond to the criticisms of causing these slight injuries to pitchers and also increasing the HR rate to historic levels. The current balls were introduced right after the the 2015 All-Star Game, so they wouldn't necessarily wait till the off-season to change again.

19. raining threes

DeGrom was originally a SS so he doesn't have as much wear and tear on his arm as most pitchers his age.

texans1095 likes this.
  20. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Didn't know that, but the durability concerns still remain for me.

Just took a quick look at his history and he has been injured in almost every season including the minors. That scares the hell out of me. Hard pass if we are giving up Tucker/Fisher, Martes, McCugh + fillers.