1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. KeuchelForPresident

He has been getting a little bit of attention this week

https://houseofhouston.com/2017/07/14/houston-astros-lance-lynn-trade-option/

I worry about his HR rate, which might actually go up if he pitches at MMP, but haven't really looked deeply into his stats. If I were Luhnow, I'd go for deGrom and, if the price is too steep, get two strong multi-innings relievers instead.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yup, just heard that on MLB radio. That means everyone can pretty much take Archer off of their wish list. They were going after Doolittle too to help shore up their bullpen since they're leading the wildcard race.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think McHugh is much more valuable than Fiers, although the current injury complicates things.

5. KeuchelForPresident

Here's an updated chart of key stats on potential relief pitchers the Astros might trade for this month.

The eight criteria I've rather arbitrarily come up with to assess a candidate's readiness to pitch for the Astros in the postseason are:

1. IP should exceed G by at least 10%, i.e., can get 4 to 6 outs if needed

2. WHIP should be <1.10, i.e., limits traffic on the bases

3. xFIP should be <4.00, i.e., projects to have above-average pitching overall – acts as a check on deceptively low ERA

4. GB% should be at least 40% - esp. important in MMP

5. HR/9 should be <1.00, i.e., limits the long ball

6. LOB% should be >70%, i.e., generally succeeds at preventing inherited runners from scoring

7. SwStr% should be at least 12%, i.e. the pitcher has deceptive ‘stuff’

8. Should have playoff experience

For purposes of comparison, I have also included the same stats for the lower-ranking current Astros relievers, i.e. the guys who stand to be cut from the active roster if new relievers are acquired.

[​IMG]

Houstunna likes this.
  6. KeuchelForPresident

Personally, I'd be OK with the Astros acquiring any of the guys on that list, except for Smith (due to injury concerns and no real public information on his prospects for returning). A few of the pitchers on the list may well not be available (Iglesias, Rivero, Minor) but their names do come up in trade discussions from time to time and their teams are not currently very competitive, so I've included them anyway.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

790 just reported the Astros are the front runner for Gray.

Musgrove, Teoscar, and Whitley

Hard to believe that's enough.

HTM and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Huge win for Houston if that gets it done.

9. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Usually there is one more guy included that makes us all go..."oh, wait that's more than I thought." I remember feeling that way when Phillips was involved in the brewers trade. Original rumors and such didn't include him. I would imagine it would take one more top 10 in our organization type.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Whitley is about to be a top 10-15 prospect in baseball.

The lists you see are outdated.

Whitley is likely the Astros first or second most valuable asset.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Whitely's value is probably sky rocketing. Definitely an argument that he is our best prospect.

raining threes likes this.
  12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whitley is a big piece to lose for Gray. He's pitched better lately, but you have to believe his arm is ok after that absymal 2016.

13. Nook

Nook Member

You would be correct.

raining threes likes this.
  14. raining threes

I wouldn't give up Whitley.

Martes and Fisher yes

15. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Where did they hear that?

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sure, but to get a guy with Grays pedigree with 2 years of control remaining without giving up Tucker or Martes has to be considered a win. I agree that Whitley is in the conversation for Houstons 2nd best prospect (no way he's more valuable than Tucker), but that is based on ~60 innings pitched in A ball. Dealing guys with skyrocketing stock is risky but the rule of prospects still applies (they bust more often than not, especially pitchers who are far from the majors).

17. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Whitley is light years ahead of martes as a prospect at this point.
    I'd rather give up martes and another guy instead of whitley.

You can't scout the stat line, I realize, but whitley having a year unlike any I have ever seen as a 19 year old in A ball and A+ ball.
    Kershaw is the only guy in the last 25 years that has been this dominating as a 19 year old at that level.

18. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Also, I think Bregman is still our best trade asset. So that puts Whitley as our 3rd biggest chip. I'd do that for gray. But hold tight to see if mets might really want to deal deGrom.

19. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I really hope we get Zach Britton. Adding another elite option, who happens to be a lefty (although Sipp has had a nice turnaround, we still lack depth and talent when it comes to lefty relievers).

A bullpen of Devenski, Luke Greg, Will Harris, Ken Giles, and Zach Britton would be really nice to have in the playoffs, if we are fortunate enough to make it there.

20. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I keep going back and forth.i just got through convincing myself I'd do it. But you are right...I have seen reports saying we have a "gem" in Whitley. It's tough. I want to win a World Series though. Gray as our number 3 this year and next sounds real good.