1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Speaking of Garret Gilbert, I hope Auburn losing their QB1 in the Sugar Bowl doesn't take too much shine off of OU's glorious victory. I'll go back to hating the Sooners tomorrow, but way to rep the Big 12 after another snub!

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Edit: Herman completed his staff today adding Tim Back (Co-OC at OSU) and Stan Drayton (RB coach for Chicago Bears) to the same position. Really excited about Drayton, ace recruiter who recruited and coached Ezekiel Elliott and just got Jordan Howard over 1300 yards, 2 of the leading rushers in the NFL last season.

Beck will be a wait and see guy for most since the OSU's offense was mediocre at best under him and Warriner. Obviously capped by a stunning shut out versus Clemson a few days ago. Beck was OSU's lead recruiter for some of the best prospects from Texas.

#9162 gucci888, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But we also have the OC who was responsible for the Ohio State championship .

4. gucci888

Ya that's why I'm not worried as some are. Applewhite was a very mediocre OC at his multiple stops before Herman and then it was boom all of a sudden. Hoping the same for Beck.

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I like the optimism but it's a faith hire. Charlie Strong was a good defensive coach but had a mediocre coordinator too but there are a lot of differences between Charlie and Herman. I guess a plus is that Herman probably won't have a hard time overriding his offensive coordinator.

USC has been very impressive since making their QB switch earlier this year so playing them on the road will be a pretty huge undertaking. I guess the hope is that Herman can make a lot of progress by whipping these guys into shape this spring.

Also, current Texas TE Blake Whiteley is doing a graduate transfer. I guess he sees the writing on the wall. No big.

Via 247: Quotes from recruits about Tim Beck:

QB Tate Martell, Bishop Gorman (NV)

“I love Tim Beck. He’s one of the reasons I committed to Ohio State. He’s a great dude. I wish him the best in everything he does. Sam (Ehlinger) is lucky to get a great guy and a great coach. With Coach (Tom) Herman and that offense, I think Sam is going to play early if not as a freshman. He has such a good skillset for that offense. He’s a bigger sized kid. He’s going to be able to take a beating in the run game, and he has a great arm.”

WR Omar Manning, Lancaster

“Coach Beck showed me a lot of love when he was recruiting me at Ohio State. I still keep up with him. He showed a lot of interest and came up to my school a lot. He came like four times to talk to me. He’s a really cool guy. I like him a lot.”

OLB Baron Browning, Kennedale

“He’s a good recruiter. He’s a really good man. He was my area recruiter, and I have nothing but respect for him as a man. He was a coach in the DFW not too long ago. I like him overall. You can crack jokes with him. He’s a good guy.”

CB Jeffrey Okudah, South Grand Prairie

“He’s a great recruiter. He recruited me really hard and did a great job building a relationship with me. I think he’s going to pull in a lot of big-time guys.”

#9165 Brando2101, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This would make me sad. Kid is a legit 4 star and decomitted from Iowa when Herman was announced as coach. He's a Texan and wants to be a Longhorn.

7. gucci888

Higdon from Scout posted that he would've been a Longhorn if he wanted to. Had an offer but decided to wait, possibly to announce at the AA Game.

8. Brando2101

some small notes via 247

-Current four star DE commit Taquon Graham could flip to OU by signing day. He visits normal at the end of the month. I'd go to OU if I were him. Mayfield is a senior next year but they have Kyler Murray waiting to take over. They finished 11-2 and could be a top 5 ranked team at the start of the year.
    -Texas will likely pickup a juco LB Gary Johnson
    -"Expect good news tomorrow afternoon on the defensive side of the ball." It could be former UH commit 3 star LB Marquez Bimage

#9168 Brando2101, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Things never said about Norman in the history of Earth, Alex?

Punch your phone. That was a cruel prank.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Also tweeted that Baylor is back in the mix

11. gucci888

Losing Graham would be a big loss. Bimage would be a nice consolation prize but Chaisson is a must get for Herman and Co.

12. Brando2101

We should start to see some facility upgrades soon. http://www.hookem.com/story/texas-ceo-tom-herman-wants-upgrade-facilities-expand-football-staff/

13. gucci888

I was not one to make excuses for Strong because I think he made his own bed when it was all said and done. But it sounds like Herman has been given a blank check for whatever he needs when it is relatively well known that Strong wasn't afforded the same. With that said, I think Herman could get backing for it much better than Charlie could.

For the facilities itself, I still think you need to bring in a permanent AD to really get the wheels moving. Perrin has done a good job cleaning up Patteron's mess but really feels like athletics have been stuck in the mud.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LMFAO - certainly no coded messages or dogwhistling in that lede, right?

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eh, Charlie was never good at press conferences and that's feedback akin to what Herman received at UH. It isn't a new or interesting take. I'd chalk it up to a bad writer, not Red McCombs in disguise.

16. gucci888

Texas lands another 2017 commitment in three-star outside linebacker Marqez Bimage.

Outside linebacker Marqez Bimage checks in from Brenham (Texas) at 6-foot-3, 220-pounds. The three-star defender has found a home with the Texas Longhorns.

A three-star defender, Bimage is now part of the Texas Longhorns Nation as moments ago he informed the coaching staff of his decision. The day head coach Tom Herman was named the future Texas coach, this one became academic. Bimage can play outside linebacker or defensive end. He is one of the more physical high school defensive players you will find in the state of Texas.
    Inside the Numbers

Three-Star
    Outside Linebacker
    6-foot-3, 220-pounds
    Brenham (Texas)
    Brenham High School
    Position Rank No 43
    Midland OLB Rank No 8
    Texas OLB Rank No 8

Offer Sheet
    Houston
    Texas Tech
    California
    Cincinnati
    Kansas State
    SMU

Scout.com Take
    Bimage is one of those guys who will wreck shop as a hybrid DE/OLB. He already has experience playing with his hand in the dirt and standing up. One of the first things that jumps out on his tape is his explosion. He is quick with the first step, and that presses the actions. He is a solid tackler because he delivers hits with a lot of force and violence. - Greg Powers

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure, no relation at all between the two forms of lazy stereotyping.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eh, take it for what you will. I won't get into that in a good UT football thread.

19. Brando2101

I don't believe Charlie was ever interested or pushed for any of that. He was brought in as a reaction to Mack Brown to just be a coach and Steve Patterson was the CEO. That didn't really work out. I really doubt that the admin would have said to if Strong submitted a list of needs. He was of the mindset that things like that make players lazy. I don't believe the "We are the Jones's" mentality went away with Deloss Dodds. They just didn't have anyone who was looking into upgrading facilities. Patterson was just concerned with increasing profits which is a part of why he became so unpopular along with a lot of other things.

I don't think there is any doubt that UT wants to bring in a permanent AD. Considering they haven't (at least as far as we know) started interviewing candidates, I feel like it's very very likely that Oliver Luck will get the job. The might have to wait until he can wrap up his department at the NCAA. He HAS to be the guy for the chief reason that UT is in dire need to replace the Erwin Center and he has experience getting things built. The arena might hold up additional facilities slated for that land by the Medical Center.

Steve Patterson had a disastrous message for the city of Austin when it came to seeking co-funding for a new arena. You need to take a 180 and get someone that knows how to communicate with city government. For those of you who don't know: In 2001 Luck was sworn in as Chief Executive Officer of the Houston Sports Authority. In this role he oversaw the operations of the Harris County Houston Sports Authority, the governmental entity created in 1997 to provide the financing, construction and management oversight of the three large sports and entertainment venues in Houston: Minute Maid Park (home of the Houston Astros), Reliant Stadium, (home of the Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo), and the new Downtown multi-purpose arena (home of the Houston Rockets and Comets). Prior to joining the Sports Authority, Luck was a top-ranking executive with the National Football League for more than ten years, where he served as Vice President of Business Development and President and CEO of NFL Europe. In 2005 he was named president of the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer. Luck worked with the City and County to create a publicly funded downtown soccer stadium, BBVA Compass Stadium, which opened to much fanfare in March 2012.

The biggest thing is that he worked with the city of Houston years later as a part of the MLS Houston Dynamo to get a new stadium built. UT needs to seek co-funding for a new arena if the city wants to keep a standard high capacity (18,000 seat) arena to continue to host concerts and other events like the WWF. He's worked for the NCAA for the last 3 years as executive vice president for regulatory affairs. That's enough of a tenure to start something and build it but I feel like he would absolutely leave that job for UT. He would have the chance to shape a major university for the next 30 years and have a big hand in shaping the college football landscape in the next round of re-allignment.

He would also add a very strong and respected voice to the big 12 that is sorely needed since OU's Boren has taken it over. UT has taken a complete backseat to the conference waiting for that new voice.

EDIT: Just found this blurb from the statesman. It's all speculation but worth the quick read.
    http://www.hookem.com/2017/01/04/bo...rdinator-tim-beck-not-gods-gift-play-callers/

I really like John Currie. He's had some great thoughts about college football and the big 12. We'll see.

LonghornFan likes this.
  20. gucci888

Don't think Charlie pushed for it either but there were a few notable things that were pulled from him as part of Patterson's cost cutting plan (meal plans for staff, band travel, heard Strong even had to put his foot in the ground to keep suits for gameday). I also think Patterson would have absolutely said no to Strong if he submitted a request for a "Creative Media Director." Don't think it had anything to do with Strong versus what Patterson's priorities were.

Ya Luck would have to be the favorite. We f*cked up royally the last go around so do whatever it takes. Has the experience from a facilities/program standpoint and don't see how he wouldn't be of great value to the UT's expansion into Houston.