1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is your take? Seriously?

2. Major

Major Member

I can see the value of the extra football staff, but the facilities thing is silly. Long-term is it an issue? Sure. But recruiting wasn't Charlie's problem, so the facilities weren't holding 17 year olds back from committing or anything like that. The problem was that the recruits weren't translating to on-the-field successes. Fixing hallway graphics and the like wouldn't have changed that stuff.

SamFisher likes this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. Charlie made his own bed like I said.

4. Buck Turgidson

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. It's all part of the game.

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Agreed. From what I've seen on Texas blogs/boards, most kids still point to Texas' facilities as a plus in interviews. I literally can't remember a recruit mentioning Texas' facilities as a negative.

I do think it speaks to Herman having a more detail-oriented approach than Strong did/does. Sending handwritten notes to former players, putting a huge emphasis on Texas high school football coaches, being on the leading edge in regards to social media...I don't think these things make a program, but sometimes the little things add up. I think the current crop of elite coaches (Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer, Swinney, etc...) includes both detail-oriented and big picture guys, so I'm not even saying that one approach is better or worse. A change in approach may be just what we need though.

6. Major

Major Member

It may all be part of the bigger picture. But Charlie had better recruiting classes than anyone else in the Big12, I believe, and didn't get results near as well as those other schools. I really doubt UT's facilities or wall graphics are what's holding them back when compared to TCU or Okie State or K-State or whomever else. Maybe a different case could be made as far the national title picture, but they shouldn't be behind all these other schools in the Big12.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Why Texas could be a playoff contender in 2017

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...challenge-college-football-playoff-berth-2017

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Finally, the UT got a good coach, there is a hope.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

11. Buck Turgidson

You don't see how, in this day and age of constant selfies and instagrams and whatthe****evers, how a pimped-out bunch of facilities makes a difference to a kid who can literally go to any school he wants to?

Kids talk about it every year: "I loved the blah blah blah...". It's silly to ignore the importance, even if it's relatively (to the coaching staff, etc) minor.

12. Major

Major Member

I'm not saying that it wouldn't improve recruiting. I'm saying Charlie Strong was already getting top-tier recruiting classes. Better than Baylor, TCU, etc. And he's still not doing as well as them. I believe Texas over the last 3 years has the best combined recruiting classes in the B12. Could they be better? Sure. But they shouldn't need to be - you can't say they don't recruit well enough to compete when they are still recruiting better than anyone else. Other coaches are simply doing more with less, so Charlie's failures can't be blamed on facilities or wall graphics or whatever.

13. Buck Turgidson

Gotcha. I wasn't comparing UT to the other B12 schools, I was comparing them to the big boys nationally. I'm ready for us to get back in that conversation.

raining threes likes this.
  14. gucci888

When you look at Bama's facilities, what Clemson is building for their program, and even what A&M just completed a few seasons back, UT is in need of a pretty big face lift. Grant it a lot of it is over the top stuff like arcades, barbershops, nap rooms, and shiny lights, but even our weight room looks like Gold's Gym vs. Bama's. Do you need any of this stuff to win games? Probably not but doesn't hurt either.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/1/4578810/alabama-football-building-pictures

http://www.rolltide.com/galleries/?gallery=1286

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/08/clemsons_football_facility_to.html

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. gucci888

sammy likes this.
  16. raining threes

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Because it's super hypocritical for Texas to hire him since he signed the letter defending Art Briles.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And because of his name - how ****ing terrible are the optics to hire Horny, former Baylor Assistant, also rabidly pro-Briles.

Nook likes this.
  19. gucci888

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

This is bullshit. I hope the student body stages a protest and the boosters complain. This is another problem caused by not having an AD. I can't believe the president approved this hire.

I would give up my season tickets if I could afford them to begin with.

I don't know if it's necessarily hypocritical for the school to hire him since they never came out bashing Baylor but it would be hypocritical for UT fans to defend this hire.