1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The brewer hate case

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets4Life13, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Uniquely slender and fast despite his height. He is something intriguing for everybody.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

This thread is an insult to me; I hate Corey Brewer! If we keep this A hole, he is going to cost us an important game. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope he proves me wrong like Patrick Beverley did. But I doubt it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The game is too offensive oriented anyway but I think giving this nod to the defense makes the game more interesting without going back to the man's game eras of yesteryear.

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He's actually been decent this year. He's not playing many minutes and his defense has been very good so far. Brewer is a nice player to have on the bench. Dont take veteran leadership for granted either. He's one of our vocal leaders.

D'antoni World and DudeWah like this.
  5. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

While your language is a little harsh, I also kind of get this feeling that someday, in the biggest moment of the biggest game of the year, Brewer will make some bone headed play that costs us the game and maybe even a series. It's similar to how I used to feel about Lin...and then his two terrible decisions in crunch time in Portland likely cost us a game and thus, the series.

hakeem94 and thedude077 like this.
  6. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

The problem is, man. Who are you going to have in there in place of Brewer? I know Dekker is coming along well and stuff, but he seems to do better WHEN Brewer is on the floor with him. It's basically a choice between Brewer or KJ McDonalds, and I think KJ is like not ready yet or may never be ready. He hasn't looked very sharp in the brief time he's been awarded, recently. Things COULD change here, and dude hopes it does. But, currently I think Brewer is the better option.

7. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I actually see KJ a little differently. I think that, if given Brewer's job outright (Brew traded/released) KJ would have about a 20-30 game adjustment period where he was inconsistent, but I think he has all the talent and would eventually become a fantastic bench player with future starter potential.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I rather trade/cut KJ to find another player. Brewer with his limited mins is fine, the team is winning and for some reason KJ the only one not that happy. Chemistry is key for this team, people say star power is good and all, but I will point back to last year. Plus he's sitting on the bench most the time, coach doesn't trust him.

9. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

He's had chances though, man. He's played for several teams now and gotten some burn and hasn't really lit the world on fire and often been relegated to the back of the bench for every coach he's played for. He's made some very Brewer like mistakes at times too. Obviously, he has a ton of physical talent but his game just hasn't like turned any corners or anything, man.

I trust Mike D in this situation, because Mike D is all about giving the young guys a fair shot. Brewer, for whatever unknown and Ancient Aliens like reason, just continues to impress coaches enough to put him out there and dude is fine with that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. PeppermintCandy

Brewer plays the Ariza role for the second unit: a wing who can take some of the defensive burden off the scoring guard (EG) and play a complementary role on offense. His three point shot isn't as good as Ariza's but still he's enough of a threat, and when Dekker's on the court, he's asked to do even less offensively anyways.

In other words, he's fine for what his role is on the team, not considering his contract. And who knows, he might provide the team with a few breakout performances during the playoffs.

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

You can get a player that brings the same atmosphere to the lockerroom for a vet minimum. You dont pay people 8m per to be the lockerroom DJ

RudyTBag and hakeem94 like this.
  12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

KJ's athleticism makes up for it. But he has been playing better, and has improved. I trust him and Dekker over Brewer.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Brewer is a solid backup when he's hitting shots. He runs that curl play better than anyone, sprints the floor on breaks, and he finishes most plays with dunks. He just has to find his 3pt shot. He hasn't physically digressed since the year we traded for him (when he was awesome). He just needs to hit that corner 3 and he fills out that position. If not, you slide Dekker to his minutes at 3 when/if D-Mo arrives.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Don't forget that Brew was in a really bad shooting slump to begin the year, culminating in those three putrid performances when MDA decided to start him for some reason. Since then he's shooting 48.3% from the field, and his 3P% has gone from an unbelievably horrible 12.5% to his normal, crappy (but playable) 26.1%.

He's still overpaid. He's still by no means anything more than an average backup wing. But given all that, if KJ can't clearly demonstrate to the coaches that he deserves more minutes, that's on KJ. It's not like coach has been gun-shy about playing young guys like Harrell or Dekker (hell, he gave ENNIS a shot).

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KJ was playing better than Dekker and Trez for the majority of the preseason. His bizarre benching for Brewer has me thinking that there is some off court maturity issues happening that we don't know about.

16. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I think you are on to something, with Beverly back the team gets off to running and takes advantage of Brewers play style, he should never be on the court with Harden since we play slower with him as PG.

I like him this year more than last, but that might be usage, i just have a really hard time not seeing this everyime he gets ahead of himself.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Brewer shoots 18% from three, the Rockets need to make threes to win its their offense. This should be end of discussion but hey, people wanted to keep Howard when he was clearly a liability and people wanted to keep Mchale when he was clearly not a real coach. Same goes for Brewer I guess. I will say I would say I respect the loyalty but the same guys defending Brewer were throwing Harden under the bus last year, lol

#77 SF3isBack!!, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

As we saw tonight Brewer missing wide open threes in a close game, this will happen in a much more important game in the future.

Mazulis likes this.
  19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Dude had like 0's across the board

How he continues to get minutes is one of the most baffling NBA storylines

Mazulis likes this.