1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The brewer hate case

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets4Life13, Dec 10, 2016.

1. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I like CB33, I just hate his game.

Mazulis, bobloblaw and ramotadab like this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I started a thread that got a pretty decent run going. Brewer was deserving of every ounce of criticism.

Whatever switch got flipped like 2 weeks ago, if it was Beverley coming back then great...but whatever limits his minutes and whatever is causing him to play smarter, I'm down with it. I love hustle, teamwork and defense. He's exemplified those qualities as of late. He's been focused. I can live with that.

Doesn't mean the thread I started was at all wrong...

This is pretty chicken **** though. Strike while the iron is Luke warm I guess lol

hakeem94 and ramotadab like this.
  3. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

He may bring energy, but it comes at a price. He loses his man frequently, misses half of his layups, can't hit threes with ANY consistency, he commits dumb fouls, stumbles over his own feet, and generally looks like a high schooler in terms of talent who is giving maximum effort on the court. I wouldn't think Brewer should get minutes no matter if we were 23-1 or 1-23. I completely agree that he's great in terms of team chemistry and a locker room presence...but that shouldn't necessarily lead to much, if any, playing time.

ramotadab likes this.
  4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

(Note: hey @heypartner, am I allowed to claim the title of "the most condescending poster on the bbs" again just for this one post?)

@SF3isBack!!, You should tone down the aggressiveness and insults a little bit there. It's in poor taste, especially when you're not able to string together a coherent sentence.

I'll play along though and address what I assume to be (since that first quoted post looks like a 6th grader wrote it) your points.

1) I didn't call Brewer garbage. I said he had a completely garbage year last year. That's not saying much, as the entire team had a completely garbage team last year. I think it was worse for Brewer than other players for reasons I already mentioned. But, it's fairly obvious Ariza, Beverley, Motiejunas, and anyone not named James Harden (and even him to some) looked very bad last year.

2) The entire team was just in a bad spot last year. There's no bs about that. I'm not sure what you're on about.

3) It's also a fact that we were all infatuated with Brewer and Smith for carrying us against the Clippers. It was not just one quarter. Both of those guys played consistently well the entire playoffs. Now, of course, that's fine to not still hold on to that, as that was nearly two years ago. It's very odd to discount what they did because James Harden carried the team. Of course he carried the team. Brewer playing well in 2014-2015 and Harden carrying the team aren't disjoint events. Weird position to take.

4) Again, for reasons I previously outlined, Brewer is playing well lately, especially in the last 10 games or so. I think the team has a nice dynamic when Dekker and him both attack on the break. It's very nice to see. He hasn't been missing lay-ups lately and he's actually been hitting 3's again too.

5) It seems unfair to say that Brewer is taking up a roster spot that someone more useful could use. KJ hasn't shown much. Maybe he could be a baller, but two different coaching staffs have glued him to the bench in favor of Brewer. I'm inclined to trust them (even as incompetent as McHale was) over Joe Schmo bbs user. Furthermore, Brewer plays less than 15 mins a game. If we acquired another SF/SG, they'd likely take minutes from Dekker. At this point, I think Dekker has a ton of potential and don't want anyone taking minutes from him unless they're a star player.

6) From various reports it seems like Brewer is a great locker room guy and has really provided an awesome veteran presence along with Ariza. I believe that's one of the reasons the coaching staff trust him so much. We as regular fans don't have all the info they do. I trust D'Antoni.

For these reasons, I completely fail to see your point. The guy has had a career filled with success and has been a good contributing player at the NBA level. He's playing well for us again. Stop b****ing about nothing.

Also, before you start on a rampage of inane insults, you should check yourself and perhaps at least properly write a a coherent paragraph. It's not classy and doesn't lead to a useful discussion.

#44 DudeWah, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    gotsis, Os Trigonum, Tha_Dude and 2 others like this.
  5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

He is needed because KJ is much worse than him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This post is totally unnecessary, I didnt insult you but your post in which you said smith and brewer carried us to the wcf's Im sorry thats just an awful post dude its the truth. Its like me saying chucky brown carried the Rockets to their first ring, lol. Brewer has hardly had a career filled with success or I guess it depends on what you call a success his career has been ok. His one year he won the title with Dallas he barely played with low minutes (We are winning more since his minutes have decreased) I think that should tell you something about Brewer and I dont think its unreasonable to want to replace someone who is a below average shooter and defender with someone who can shoot threes on a team that is setting records at shooting threes. Maybe you should learn something about the player you are defending. Your problem is you are taking it personally where Im just looking at it from a basketball stand point.

Corey Brewer shoots 28% career and an even worse 18% this year from 3 on a team that leads the league in 3 pointers. Wanting him gone is not hate it makes pure basketball sense.

#46 SF3isBack!!, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    hakeem94 likes this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

MDmA flipped that switch. http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...h-D-Antoni-supports-Corey-Brewer-10619541.php

That change came after a solid piece of coaching.

hakeem94 and DudeWah like this.
  8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Brewer's surprising flaw no one talks about is his lack of REBOUNDING. For a guy his height and length he gets VERY FEW boards. He is not a "small ball 4". Its cuz instead of staying back for the boards he'll take off up the court "snowbirding". Still Sam Dekker is Dennis Rodman compared to Brewer. Just to pile on the bashing.

However I don't have much problem with Brewer this year. He's in reduced minutes 9th man role. He's held his own, he's shooting like 60% on 2 pters and doesnt gamble AS much. If the team wants to upgrade he's primest of candidates to be moved, but he hasn't been a total stain either.

9. ilias

ilias Member

Not sure what the debate is all about. Brewer is a pretty poor player, he is simply not worthy of a rotation spot on a team hoping for a deep playoff run. Yes, he brings energy and hustle, and he may be the nicest guy in the world. However he is a net negative on the court and unlikely to improve. We need to replace him in the rotation, either organically (Dekker, KJ) or via trade.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  10. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Brewer is fine. In his limited mins he has brought us out of slumps by his hustle. From an ESPN article, When harden is on the floor our game pace is slightly above average but when he is off the floor our pace is right at 2-3 in the league. Brewer is part of that, we need brewer to increase the pace. Our bench is good in part because of pace. Now how much of our pace is attributed to brewer is a question that we could quantify.

hakeem94 and ramotadab like this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

How is it that he has never played for Milwaukee...that is tragic right there.

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yes, and he is a chaos sandwich baiting other teams to run and gun and we flourish at that.

13. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I just want the dude to stay in front of his man as a defender... Enough of doing the 'James harden let my man go by me so I can poke at the ball and maybe get a turnover' defense...

RocketWalta and SF3isBack!! like this.
  15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

A guy who shoots 18% from 3 is one injury (Because D'antoni does not want to start Gordon so that he can lead the bench) away from being a starter. Again its not hate, its just the truth. People called me a hater when I wanted Mchale gone and when I wanted Dwight gone and not to toot my own horn too much but I think I was right about both.

ilias likes this.
  16. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

I love how eric gordon never want to pass to brewer when he's outside in the 3s...Love gordon, he know **** he sees it.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's another example of Brewer playing perfect team defense. First he covers the backdoor pass to a cutting Mejri as Capela stays strong-side. Then he still closes out to block a corner three.

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum and Dankstronaut like this.
  18. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

I didn't like Brewer's game, and he is really a terrible 3rd, 4th, or 5th option on the team because he sucks at shooting and gambles too much on defense. But this year, he suddenly doesn't look that bad as the 9th option. I don't know if it's because the coach has learned how to use him effectively or what, but when other players can cover the O and D, he seems to be able to add some other positive things to the team.

#58 HighlightReel, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    ksny15 likes this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That's a nice play. Side note, illegal defense doesn't exist anymore right? Lol...

Why don't they just get rid of three seconds and allow teams to really play zone?

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Teams won't really play zone regardless. It's not a good defense for the NBA with a plethora of zone busters. They will still play mainly man, but just not have the big come out and guard the high PnR. I wouldn't like that.

Also, are you referring to what Capela is doing? That's a very good example of how eradication of illegal defense rules make it easier for defenses. Capela is not in a zone, but he's still strong side, not really guarding anyone except to prevent a drive by the ballhandler. This is what teams do to Harden and Westbrook and why MDA uses heavy picks to force that Big to move away.

Yes, in the illegal defense days he needs to follow Mejri or double someone, but back then there was no defensive 3 seconds, so he just needed to stay a zone away from Mejri. Also, Mejri didn't continue thru, so Capela still would have been good....probably.

Dankstronaut likes this.