1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saints @ Texans (preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Win, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm not saying he has great hands, just saying that he wasn't as bad in college as some people are saying and that he'll still be effective even in a worst case scenario where he has mediocre hands.

Drops may be an issue from time to time but I think he'll still be a solid pick. He probably wouldn't have been available otherwise. At that point you're taking the best guy available because no prospect is without weaknesses that far down.

If he ends up being a #2 WR who runs mainly vertical routes I don't see a problem with the pick.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Again he caught most of his receptions at Notre Dame with his hands. Did you even watch Notre Dame football or are you going off of what someone else stated.

Even Andre Johnson caught passes at a high rate with his body.

So I know Fuller can be very productive at this level. My thing is why are you guys bringing up the body catches like it's a problem after one preseason game.

Shoots he made that catch and that's all that mattets.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't watch every game, but this isn't anywhere close to accurate in any game I did. I ended up with like 7 or 8 games, and I watched each game at least 3 times. At one point, I sat through 2 games, only counting hand catches by Fuller. There was 1 total over those two games (out of something like 12 total receptions).

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The one that was low...98% of receivers in the NFL are capable of dropping that one. That has less to do with hands than it just being an incredibly difficult ball to catch. As far as the one in the end zone...he should have caught it, but it was definitely not a routine catch...it was an absolute laser. Only Hopkins on the team would have been capable of catching that one. Nobody is saying Fuller is a top 5 receiver in the NFL...therefore, judging him up to those standards is silly.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Are we going to be having this argument after every game he has a reception?

6. rezdawg

Probably after every incompletion.

It's the new hot topic of the season.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

So how long before it becomes about Brock? Or Clowney? or Rick Smith? There's a lot of hot topics to choose from.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Those will be popular topics as well.

9. rezdawg

After every poor read, every limp, and every misplay by a rookie, respectively.

It's going to be an action packed season. :grin:

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He's a rookie. It's the preseason. He's not our only weapon. Let's just be thankful we have someone who can potentially score in like 3-5 seconds if we need to.

Those two other fade throws to the endzone which Brock-Fuller couldn't connect on, the Saints defender was beating him to that spot. That can be remedied by running other routes, like throwing short of the endzone or throwing inside and Fuller using his speed to maneuver around his defender.

It just seemed that we went to that play too often that the Saints defenders were wise to it.

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Words cannot express how much I despise Jayson Braddock for making "tiny hands" a thing with Fuller.

Not a damn soul in this thread would be talking about it if he hadn't made such a big deal.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

You give that man too much credit.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

PFF- PRESEASON WEEK 2: ANALYSIS AND KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM EVERY GAME

Texans 16, Saints 9

Osweiler grades just average for Houston, while Clowney has a big game; Saints DT Fairley grades well

The Houston Texans picked up their second win of the preseason as they beat the winless New Orleans Saints 16-9 on Saturday night.

In his second preseason game with the team, QB Brock Osweiler earned an average grade while playing most of the first half. Osweiler got his first touchdown of the preseason on a well-thrown ball to rookie Will Fuller in the first quarter. But he underthrew Fuller later in the half in the end zone, leading to a P.J. Williams interception. In all, he was under pressure on just three of 20 dropbacks, going 0-for-2. He also was 9-for-10 on passes targeted under 10 yards downfield, but just 3-for-10 on passes 10-plus yards downfield.

[​IMG]
    Former No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney was the most productive player on the Houston defense. As a pass-rusher, Clowney had a hit against Zack Strief, a sack against Andrus Peat, and another pressure against Peat that resulted in a holding call on Peat. He was also quite disruptive versus the run, as he forced runs away from the intended point of attack and picked up a run stop. It was an impressive debut, as the Texans hope he can build upon a good 2015 season.

Texans DE Christian Covington also had a solid game, as he tallied a sack, a hit, and a hurry on just 12 pass rushes. CB Kevin Johnson allowed receptions on all four targets in coverage, but they combined for just 15 yards and none went for longer than six yards. He did miss a tackle, but also forced an incompletion when not the primary man in coverage against Saints WR Brandon Coleman with a hit that jarred the ball loose.

The Saints had several offensive linemen who finished the game with below-average grades, none lower than starting LG Tim Lelito. He allowed a sack, a hit, and a hurry, which led to the lowest pass-blocking grade of the game, and was beaten as a run-blocker multiple times to earn the lowest run-blocking grade as well. After an impressive first preseason game, rookie WR Michael Thomas was far less effective against the Texans. On 30 routes ran, he caught just one five yard pass and his other target led to an interception.

The Saints lost rookie first-round pick DT Sheldon Rankins earlier this week to injury for an extended period of time, but if free agent signee Nick Fairley performs like he did on Saturday night, the Saints will be fine at defensive tackle. Fairley had two run stops on just four snaps in run defense, and caused a holding penalty. As a pass-rusher, he had a sack and a pressure on 14 pass rush snaps. CB P.J. Williams was beaten by Fuller for the 19-yard touchdown early in the game, but he bounced back well with a pass defense and an interception later in the game. With Keenan Lewis released on Friday, Williams is (so far, at least) looking like he could be a solid starter opposite Delvin Breaux.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

His small hands still catch infinitely better than the garbage that is Cecil Shorts.

15. Mr. Clutch

There's a certain troll who took his cue from him

#315 Mr. Clutch, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

His "baby midget hands" draft night rant was one of the most cringe worthy over-reactions I've ever witnessed. I'm not sure how anyone took him seriously.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You're giving him credit he doesn't deserve, people were going to talk about it after the combine when his hands came up short. That said, the talk of him being a body catcher has nothing at all to do with the size of his hands, it has to do with the quality of his hands. If he starts making catches with his hands away from his body, the talk will stop because he'll have proven himself. If he struggles to make those catches and only successfully makes body catches, it'll continue.....and it'll still have nothing to do with Jayson Braddock.

8 1/4 inch hands are super small so it was always going to be brought up especially when you factor in that he dropped 21 passes in his last 2 years of college.

That said, we shouldn't be freaking out about it, or freaking out about people bringing up a valid criticism.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You're the only troll on this board kiddo.

19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I just hate that instead of "maybe Brock should have taken a little off that ball" or "that was a tough catch for anyone" we are having a philosophical discussion on if whether or not Will Fuller can be an impactful NFL player, on a night that he caught the only TD pass of the game nonetheless.

Every single time he doesn't catch a ball it will be brought up, which is ludicrous. And I know that Braddock wasn't the only one who noted it, but he sure as hell was the most vocal about it.

20. Mr. Clutch

Well some thought shorts and Washington were the best WR backups in the league last year