1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saints @ Texans (preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Win, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you misunderstand, when people talk about him as a body catcher, it's not to complain about his production, it's merely pointing out the limitations of his game. Plays where he takes the top off the defense and catches a long TD are awesome and IMO just the kind of plays you want him to make.....that said, you can't expect him to make "hands" catches and he sure as hell isn't a target for a fade in the end zone. that interception was almost 100% on Fuller. If that same ball is thrown to Nuk, Strong, Anderson, or maybe even Braxton Miller, it's a TD.

The correct analogy is like pointing out a HR hitter has a super low OBP. You'll still love the homeruns, but you might not want to have him at the top of the lineup.

I'm really happy overall about the receiver situation

Nuk is Nuk

Braxton Miller is looking like he'll be very good

Strong has shown improvements

Anderson shows that he can just always get open and he catches anything in sight.

Fiedorowicz has shown that he can be a receiving threat too.

Fuller has shown an ability to take the top off of a defense which makes a lot of other things work.

Lenz is a guy making a strong argument that he should make the team as a slot option.

All of that before even mentioning Shorts, who was the 3rd leading receiver on the team last year.

The offense is loaded.

2. AFS

AFS Member

3. Win

Win Contributing Member

Haven't seen much if any mention of Kevin Johnson. To be honest, I had kinda forgotten about him too, but he had some really nice plays and a couple hard hits in the game.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

yea he had a perfect open field tackle done the right way in open space. considering preseason game 1 tackling, it was awesome to see.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IR stash?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill O'Brien says kicker Ka'imi Fairbairn has a quad issue</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/767440906819469312">August 21, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nick Martin ankle injury still being evaluated, Bill O'Brien says it's possible he might need surgery. Nick Novak in NFL concussion protocol</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/767440574664224768">August 21, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

There are plenty of catches within a very high number of route trees that Fuller can be effective with...it's not only over the top. And that's my point, he gets labeled purely as a deep threat (because of his lack of "hands"), when he is much more than that. He showed it on a few of catches last night.

If he cant do fade routes, then fine...but he can do the deep ball, he can do the curl route, he can do the slant, he can do the screen, he can do the comeback, he can do the flat, he can do the dig, and he can do the out route. Not sure how he can be labeled as "limited"...

And you cant teach speed, but you can improve on hands...so even that small portion of his game that needs help can be worked on.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"Limited" means that his game has limits, there are things he can't do as a receiver. Any route where a body catch would be okay is within his abilities but he showed last night that catches with his hands only is something he can't be counted on for right now. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it is something that should be understood.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

The possibility of surgery on a sprained means at least 8 weeks from now (I'm guessing), and probably more. Hope it's shorter than that somehow

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Makes him a good candidate for the IR with an option to return if he's gonna be out that long.

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

"he doesn't believe it's life-threatening"

**** you OB

12. Buck Turgidson

That really sucks. Who do/can they turn to if he's out?

Bergstrom (sp?) looked terrible at G. Who is the backup C?

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Fuller showed he can catch the ball with his hands and body in college as well. I don't know what Bobby is talking about. And besides who look at one game to determine what a player can and can not do.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Right, it's a silly thing to point out when it affects one real route out of everything he runs out there. I pointed out, in my previous post, all the different routes that he can run and still body catch with.

DHop is limited because he cant run a 4.3. Kind of silly to point that out, since he's not really limited in any other fashion.

And it's not that Fuller cant catch with his hands, its just that when he has the option of either/or, he chooses to catch with his body...which results in a completion either way.

15. conquistador#11

with defenseless receiver rules, as long as he masters and perfects the body catch to an art form, I don't care if he has hooks for hands.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it's really more like it's not saying that he can't catch with his hands, it's that he can't be relied on to catch balls with his hands. On plays where he will have the option of catching it with his body, he's good to go, but plays where he'll have to catch it with his hands out away from his body, he can't be counted on to be reliable. It's why I'm glad they were targeting the new guys so much rather than just throwing it to Nuk. I think we know a lot more about how Fuller can be used effectively now.

Also, this is just right now, in time he might develop more consistent hands.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Why not I mean he was heavily relied upon in Notre Damn. And Bobby that young man delivered. He was mister clutch for them.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If the hands were that much of an issue, he wouldn't have been a consensus first round pick.

Simple case of someone not being able to admit they're wrong.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why not what? Why can't he be counted on to make catches with his hands away from his body? Because he's not good at it. It's not the end of the world, and he can still be a very productive player, but that's just not something you can count on him to do.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fuller had two significant drops last night because he couldn't catch with his hands. One bounced off his shoulder in the end zone, and he dropped one down low on a little crossing route on third down that he bobbled. If he doesn't get separation (which of course, he is really good at) he's going to have trouble. That doesn't include the interception (also in the end zone) which a really good vet WR would have at least contested and hopefully knocked down.

Did you guys actually watch the game? I'm sure if you only watched the highlights he looked awesome and clutch, because you would only see the touchdown, and the 15 yard comeback down the left sideline where he'd intimated the CB into giving him a 20 yard cushion. I bet both looked really awesome on SportsCenter.

Maybe if it is so easy to learn how to catch with your hands once you get to the NFL, you guys can list everybody who has done it. Because I can't really find anybody, outside of Calvin Johnson who was horrible in college. You have about as much chance of learning how to improve your 4.6 40 to a 4.4 40. Neither thing really happens in the real world with any regularity.

#300 Ottomaton, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016