1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Cut the season by 22 games. Ditch the All Star game and replace it with the "Mid-Season Classic". Take two weeks, around when All Star Game would've normally been held. One tournament for each conference all in the same city and arena.

As for the stakes for the winning teams from each conference... Large cash payout to the winning team. Guaranteed top seed in their conference with applicable home court advantage and first round bye for the playoffs.

Come the end of the season. 7th and 8th seeds play a single game elimination play-in to get to the playoffs. Then switch the first round of the playoffs back to five games. Second round on stays as seven game series.

Single Game Elimination Play-In:
    7th v. 8th

First Round (5 Game Series):
    1st Bye
    2nd v. Single game play-in winner
    3rd v. 6th
    4th v. 5th

I just made all of this up.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Since the 1998 playoffs, the Rockets are 6-8 in Game 1 and 5-9 in those series. So if the the playoffs were single elimination, the Rockets would have gotten the better end of it, just slightly, in the past 18 years.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Definitely not as simple as that. I'd think that Game 7s would be a better indicator of what single game elimination would like in the NBA.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't change what is perfect. 16 playoff wins to get a ring.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Rockets 2-1 series win over the Lakers in 1981 was implicitly used as one of the justifications for abolishing the best of 3 format.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Agree. I want the best team to win, no lucky ****.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not gonna lie, the NBA playoffs are brutally long, particularly when you are not one of the 3 teams or so that has a chance to win in a given year.

Even when you are getting spanked in a series it takes forever for it to end because of the scheduling.

When you are dying to get to free agency to restart your hope, the wait is dreadful.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Single elimination playoffs are garbage. The NFL gets away with it because they are the NFL and they love parity.

I prefer the best team in a league winning a ring without doubt.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah single elimination would be awful, but setting aside the revenue argument, I'd absolutely be OK with any of these:

3-5-7-7
    3-5-5-7
    3-3-7-7

I know it's better tv revenue to do as many games as possible.
    I know shorter series set up more potential upsets.

I don't care.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'd do best of 9-7-5-3

That way you can be 4-0 down in the 1st round and still have hope

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's not that simple either. When you get to Game 7, the two teams have already adjusted to each other. The thing about single elimination is how you adjust on the spot, and how you prepare for the opponent for one chance only. Coaching would be huge.

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He's a good backup. He kills spacing and can't score/shoot consistently. Rebounding and blocks are all good but he negates any positives on defense with his inability to score from anywhere except right by the basket.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is he on today?

DD

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If he does, he'll probably talk again about how the 76ers are doing rebuilding the right way. And how it's hard to do that, when you also need to follow the wishes of Les.

15. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Hell no. This is dm today

[​IMG]

16. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

LOL to above pic. Honestly, I am losing respect for DM as a GM. I thought he was great when he got Harden and then Howard, but his constant swinging for the fence philosophy has caused us to miss out on dragic, lowry while throwing out lineups featuring jason freaking terry. May be time for him to go. :confused:

17. bmd

bmd Member

How did his swinging for the fences cause him to miss out on Dragic?

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"Daryl...last night was the most disgusting and insulting loss of the season. How do you go forward from this?"

"We just need to peak at the right time am i right?"

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He was on earlier this morning. Said he needs to do a better job. But y'all don't give him credit for taking ownership of the problems, y'all just b****.

20. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

I thought Morey was a stat/numbers guy, but the decisions he has made this year truly confound me.

First of all, he should have brought in more competent players other than just Lawson. This team suffers from a serious lack of talent. I know we made it to the WCF last year, but from a purely analytic point of view, we kind of overachieved that season.

In 2014-2015, we were 12th in Ortg and 8th in Drtg overall. Our point differential was +3.4, 5th among the WC teams. That's not that good. Our expected W/L based on the team metrics was merely 50-32. The only reason we manged to pull out 56 wins was simply because Harden was balling out of his mind that year, and showed strong performance during clutch moments, winning most of the close games.

We were just 1 game away from falling down to 6th seed in the conference, and the only reason we were able to finish as 2nd was because Spurs lost their final game against the Pelicans. And of course, we had one of the unlikely miraculous comeback in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

This all points to the fact that 2014-2015 Rockets were not really as good as their final achievement (finishing 2nd in WC, advancing to WCF). Morey should have realized this and directed his energy towards revamping the roster, especially finding players who can score without Harden literally spoon feeding them with lobs and kick out passes. Our current best 2nd offensive option is Michael freakin' Beasley. Nothing against the guy, but that just shows you how thin our roster line-up is.

And of course, if Morey were really that good, he should've kinda anticipated Dwight's decline, but that's neither here nor there at this point.