1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I guess he was on in the 6 o'clock hour. I tuned into the 7o'clock hour and they were talking about how tough it is to interview for players after a loss and brought up a similar scenario with regards to Morey's appearance earlier in the show. SO yes he was on today.

He is usually on around 7.50 AM but I missed it this morning. Too early for me to get up to listen to his sleepy voice and rhetoric

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, he dodges us by being on the 6 o'clock hour, haha

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If he was on, they didn't put up a podcast. Which tells me he wasn't on.

Or maybe it's there and I don't see it. Tough to see past the "Aubrey Evans" pictorial (haven't spanked....er, clicked on that yet).

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

LMFBO Im crying :grin:

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

so what did he say?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Daryl, time for a vacation

7. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

8. FTW Rockets FTW

Daryl Morey on 790 a few minutes back. A clearly very frustrated and exasperated Morey who didn't want to be here. A quick recap. I may have missed a few things.

==============================================================================

790: Hi Daryl, it's not a good morning, just a general morning I assume. Are you back in town? Give us a few thoughts on the 4th Q, and what it means going forward.

DM: I am in town , just flew back from Dallas last night. We have to win all 4 pretty much I think. Last night was frustrating. We couldn't get to a group that was both scoring and defending. We had some good defending moments but couldn't get both. We went about 5 minutes without scoring besides a tap in and Jet free throw.

790: This year vs last year and the comparison. Struggle to find a line up that works at both ends seems like something that was in place last year and not this year

DM: That is the challenge of the NBA unfortunately. For us it's been a struggle defensively and not on offense so that was new last night. Obviously we have good offensive players and a system that works. We have a top 10 offense every year that James has been here and I have been here.

790: Some incredible comebacks in the 2nd half and frustrating 4th quarters too. Have you experienced such highs and lows within a season?

DM: This is a unique team in terms of disappointment vs expectations. We play worse than Philly when we are up 10 and when you look at it we are as good as GSW when we are down 10. it's a very unique situation but it is better than being perfectly average and bagging out 40 wins

790: Is there anything that can attribute to this?

We talk a lot about it and how to fix it. When we are down, our players just play. They go down to the basketball we play and there is less worry to other things outside of basketball. When we are up 10 the players start to think about other goals they may have. Not a healthy dynamic and we need it to be corrected

790: We hear the exasperation but with 4 games left, will the players be able to rally with 4 games left?

DM: I just talked about it. We played well with our backs to the wall. We play well when down. We can beat a a lot of the teams we are going to face in the playoffs. If you are going to be like this, you'd rather be volatile with ability to rise to the occasion. It's not over yet but we have put ourselves in a situation where we have to win all

790: Is the belief that this is who they are trickled in down to the roster?

DM: It starts with myself all the way down. We didn't handle the success we had last year very well. Right from putting the roster together to training camp to execution. It shows a group that didn't handle expectation well and something disappointing and we will correct going forward

790: What do you mean you didn't handle it well?

DM: One of the things is what leads you success and the habits didn't carry over to this season and that's obviously where we are with this.

790: You kept waiting for the team to shake it off and get over it. When Rockets beat the SPurs on Christmas night, you think some of the old Rockets team comes back

DM: There is still time but I agree, We have the same group as last year with very few on the wrong side of 30 but with the right preparation and approach, you think the team will get back to where it was last year. Around the trade deadline we said it wouldn't happen sow e made drastic changes to move Ty Lawson and get in Beasley. Obviously we still have time to turn this thing around but need concerted effort from myself all the way down to turn things around.

================================================================================

9. FTW Rockets FTW

As I said very early on this season, we had a ****ty training camp, one of the worst in terms of preparation and focus and that partly led to the demise of McHale. We still had kool aiders telling me oh it's only preseason and this is a veteran team and the team will be ok when the regular season starts blah blah

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

What a freakin nightmare. This offseason/next season is going to be make or break for the Morey era IMO.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this guy simply does not get it and probably never will

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

"We are as good as GSW when we are down 10"

-Morey

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The system is broken - we don't have a SYSTEM that works, GS and SA have a system.

We have the same crappy system that Steve Francis ran....I am convinced Morey has to go - his ego is not letting him adjust to what is clearly failing.

Hell Beasley is a midrange guy, can't he see how effective he is?

DD

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

What's all this personal agenda stuff and people getting theirs when we're up 10 because I'm not seeing that and if so, who?

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's lawyer talk. He isn't going to outright admit our system sucks when we have to recruit 2 max players this offseason. If he did a rival team could easily find it, play it back to our target and say, "see even Morey admits their system sucks".

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morey is now bragging about how volatile we are. LOL.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is assuming that morey intends to go ahead and change the system this offseason (make-believing for the moment that we actually have an actual system in place to actually change this offseason). but then why didn't he at gradually change or even slightly tweek this 'system' over the past several months? imo it's pretty clear that this offensive philosophy we've been running for years now is his baby and he is unwaveringly married to it.

18. houtown

houtown Member

I do not think a bad training camp is a valid excuse to be out of the playoffs with this team at the moment.

19. NateNate

NateNate Member

Who are they talking about when they keep mentioning players who have their own goals?

20. FTW Rockets FTW

It's a root cause of the problems that have then propagated. Players came into camp entitled and complacent thinking that just by adding Lawson they could stream roll into the playoffs on the back of last season's success.

Newsflash: Teams are smart enough to watch tape and find your weaknesses and expose it so you have to work on other things.

And that moron doofus Kevin McFail didn't do anything in training camp to get the players focusses. I mean we didn't work on any single aspect of improving the team. It was just 24 hr fitness pick up style being played during pre-season.