1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Leftovers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jun 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

When u say Theo Huxtable u do mean Eddie Winslow right?

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'm going to say yes, not sure why they keep calling him Theo.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Or how you can c*m in 30 seconds while be held captive. One of the great mysteries of our penises.

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

[Lindelof]Don't worry about it. Magic vagina. No need to explain. Just have faith and watch the show for what it is.[/Lindelof]

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, I thought it was the guy that played Theo. Thanks.

6. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Well, as uncomfortable as that sex scene was, I'm pretty glad they didn't go with a realistic run time on it.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly, and thats a lot btw, since they never really explained anything. Curiosity is the best way to keep watchers in check, the problem is is that he is exploiting it in a disgusting way and then uses the bull**** excuse about "character analysis and how they deal with situations"---for that all you need is the departure---you don't need to keep introducing new mysteries. The dude is a 2bithack.

8. heypartner

I read Raven Lunatic's list as just one single supernatural mystery--the departure. Seems people are expecting this show to be full of supernatural mysteries like Lost. Although, I'm blanking on the Buried Bird thing. What episode was that, again? I guess I should re-watch it.

That said, was Kevin's near-death experience a hallucination? Did the son save him with a shot of epinephrine?

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Kevin's neighbors wife is shown burying dead birds in the woods. She then digs them up and the bird is alive again. That's where Kevin woke up, in the woods. Assumed the son buried him to bring him back, all hinting at the place actually having some sort of supernatural stuff going on.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Think back to the very first scene in the first episode of this season.

11. heypartner

What? It had earthquakes 5,000 yrs ago too?? And mothers who save their babies?

Yeah, go on! I'm listening

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Well... I'm not saying I have the explanation.

But that scene was the first thing we saw this season for a reason. And it all happened in what is now modern day Miracle, TX. There has to be some significance of the bird that kept flying overhead and the occurance of the earthquake. Not to mention the woman that mysteriously appeared and took the child as soon as the mother died.

Maybe there's no significance at all, but the writers added it for a reason. Maybe that reason is to say nothing more than: "Strange shiit has been happening in Jardon, TX for a long time". Idk

13. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After getting more into the series...

It is a bit self-indulgentofthewritersto tease supernatural events while not defining the rules governing the world/setting of the show.

OK, so you don't wanna tell us what the departure was but then you want to tease us with life after death, resurrection, and psychics? I consider it a lazy gimmick to tease a mystery you have absolved yourself from having to answer. Nothing has to make sense. Just shoot it well and let the cast sell it.

I would prefer more King and Caroll.

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

EXACTLY!

15. val_modus

val_modus Member

More of the same from the finale...

16. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

It's hilarious that not only did they not answer anything but they also seemed to introduce more mystery. Kevin is resurrected from death TWICE with no explanation of how that is possible.

And I'm not sure if I'm dense or if the show runners were being purposefully vague but I don't understand any of what the Guilty Remnant was doing or any of what was going on during this episode. When Evie's mother was asking her why she was doing everything and telling her she didn't understand, Evie replied with "You understand". Did she? Did any of you? Was the whole purpose of the Guilty Remnant to just storm the town and pillage what everyone believed was a sacred place? Why the camper with smokescreen plastic explosives? The only thing that happened was a crap load of people used bolt cutters to open the gate and then pushed through by sheer force. The camper didn't help that cause at all.

I thought John's statement right before he patched up Kevin was pretty spot on. "I don't know what's going on." Yeah, that was pretty much me this whole season. At least it was intriguing. I don't think they plan on a 3rd season, which is good because I probably wouldn't watch it.

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

What the show is doing is very dangerous....it lives by no rules. Its a "you're supposed to get it...or duh that's the point they don't explain anything"....

18. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I take offense to them using the Pixies as the ending song a couple of times. It doesn't need to perverted with this crap.

19. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Are they really not coming back for season 3? I can't think of any show that has made this much of a leap forward in my eyes from season 1 to 2.

20. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I thought I read somewhere before season 2 aired that they were always planning on only two seasons. But maybe I'm not remembering that right.

Edit: Well, doing some brief searching it seems I was full of crap. Lindelof is pushing for a season 3. Seems they are waiting on ratings numbers to see if it looks like people want more. Season 2 was down in viewership numbers but critical acclaim for the show has been much better. So who knows.

#220 RunninRaven, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015