1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I have NBA League pass from last year so I'll check out some games, but I have to believe a lot of his value is his unselfish attitude towards playing. If Lowry and Dragic weren't such selfish players, we would have made the playoffs. I don't think of his contract as a risk because I know Morey evaluates a lot of factors before signing a player. I'm sure those factors added up to him being a safe bet.

To answer the original question, I think his upside is Steve Nash; a smart player that makes everyone better on offense, but defense will never be at that Lowry level. Nash was an MVP, so that upside is way up if you think of him that way.

2. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

His high turnovers are caused by the following three reasons:

He is very inexperienced in dribbling against high level competition. I described the reason for this in last post.

The second reason is his in-experience in passing. He always made the right pass. He had that natural instinct of great passing point guards. He had the talent, but he doesn't have the skill yet. Like a quarterback who telegraph his pass, he doesn't use fake, or look-away to confuse the defenders.

The third reason is he is so aggressive in attacking the hoop. I don't ever want to see him change this.

A lot of this is experience. He can practice all he want. But it is different going against 6-5 guys with 7 feet wing span. He just need more experience.

Now, we are committed to him. He is going to have at least two years to gain the necessary experience to correct his inefficiencies.

Unless there is health issue, I have no doubt he would be a top 5 point guard three years from now.

I can't wait.

3. M4-Nightvision

Jeremy Lin makes his teammates better, Jeremy Lin will be an all star and a top 5 pg. Just give him a few years, I think the Rockets hit the lottery with Jeremy Lin this offseason.

here is Jeremy knicks vs the t'wolves
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQo93nlacu4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQo93nlacu4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

here is Jeremy Lin knicks vs Lakers

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/icTkbn9Sprs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/icTkbn9Sprs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Jeremy Lin vs Atlanta Hawks

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUO4xqEjqV4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUO4xqEjqV4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last year was Jeremy Lin rookie year.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

40 points, 20 assists, 10 rebounds, 60 wins. 999 intangibles.

5. Omron

Omron Member

Please stop it. Stop saying he will be a top 5 PG. Don't even say he will be a top 10 PG. There is a reason why no team other than Houston offered him a contract. It's not just the small sample size. Larry Brown who is a Hall of Famer coach said he is only a terrific backup PG in the NBA. Even D'Antoni who believes in Lin never really committed to say that he is going to be an all-star just "very very good". There are numerous NBA scouts who've been in this business a long time who've also echoed the same conservative sentiments. I am more optimistic than them and I think he is a Goran Dragic-type. Can he be better than Dragic? Yes of course. But I think that's his realistic projection.

1 person likes this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin has an NBA job. Wawwy Bwown has a SMU job.

There are numerous NBA scouts who were dead wrong on Lin on draft night and beyond. So why do we start trusting numerous NBA scouts about him now?

7. M4-Nightvision

Larry Brown who? has Larry Brown win a Championship? Please Larry Brown, a back up pg hehe..

here listen to what Magic Johnson says about JLin... when Magic speak you better listen son lol..

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRhL5kPM8ks?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRhL5kPM8ks?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Hey, I'm a believer in JLin. doudters will doudt, NY Knicks big mistake by not matching, I was hoping the Knicks wouldnt match the offer sheet, and yess they didnt hehe. Jeremy better fits in Houston system. A young team develop together. :grin:

haters eat your heart out lol..

8. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

There are no guarantees but one thing is for sure he isn't a backup PG. Personally I don't think he will not be a top 5 PG and thats due to the fact that this league is stacked with elite PGs. Most of the best players in this league are PGs. We have Chris Paul, D Will, Nash, Rose, Westbrook, Tony Parker, and Rondo. They are all multiple all stars and all nba quality players.

Minimum projection: starter caliber PG
    Likely projection:borderline elite/all star at peak
    Optimistic projection: top 5-10 pg

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Goran Dragic has the potential to be a borderline top 5 PG in his peak years, so I'm not sure what you're going on about here as if it's some insult to say that Lin has the same potential?

I don't trust what any of the pro NBA guys say about Lin. Somebody else mentioned systemic racism in the NBA, and I think that is true. All the same guys were dead wrong about him last year. Reminds me of Moneyball. We're not in the business of selling blue jeans, we don't give a f*** about what his face looks like or how hot his girlfriend is, we're trying to win basketball games.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

lolwut

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

He was actually courted by 4 teams. Toronto, Dallas called him first thing in the morning on the 1st. Toronto wanted him next after Nash. Dallas wanted him next after Deron Williams. Houston also wanted him and the Knicks as well. Four teams after 25 games. Dallas was the team that apparently was waiting in the wings in case things fell on the way side with Houston for Lin.

Larry Brown has an incentive to say what he wants to say. Brown is best friends with Woodson who was never enamoured with Lin. Brown also likes a specific type of pg (felton) who is already better than Lin. Who are these anonymous NBA scouts? The same ones that didn't draft him becaause of the color of his skin and the fact that he plays pg? The same NBA scouts that praised Kwame Brown.Please. D'antoni also compared Lin to Steve Nash. Nash compared Lin to himself.

12. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

13. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Lin is nowhere near PAUL, Westbrook, Williams, Rondo,Nash an etc. He probaly isnt on Dragic or Lowry's level either, but he will be a solid 16 pts 7 assis 4 boa a game player.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lin doesn't need to be a top 5 PG to justify his $25M 3 year contract when George Hill got $40M in 5 yrs and Rodney Stuckey got $25M for 3 years.

15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Yes.He is better then both of those 2.

16. M4-Nightvision

You said that you don't trust what any pro NBA guys says about Jeremy Lin? right. Okay but you believe what larry brown said about Jeremy Lin lol.

boy, your contraditing yourself there lol..

You said Goran Dragic has the potential to be a top 5 pg in his peak years? ah excuuse me, Goran Dragic is still in his peak year lol..

here is a video of Jeremy Lin vs Wizard John wall.. without melo and amare ok:grin:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Syw0ep1qdfY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Syw0ep1qdfY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I cant wait til the NBA season start. :grin:

17. M4-Nightvision

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

You need to step away and think about the argument you are trying to make. Are you seriously saying that a HOF 2-time champion coach is a poorer evaluator than a guy who was lucky to have the god-given talent to succeed athletically? Magic normally comes off as a doofus on television with terrible takes.

And just to be clear: no one is arguing with you about Jeremy Lin. We are only laughing at your misinformed, embarrassing logic.

19. thisiscaketown

The same Larry Brown that can't seem to hold a coaching job for very long? The same Larry Brown that got paid by the Knicks NOT to coach? The same Larry Brown that coached the Bobcats to a spectacular first round exit without winning a single game? The same Larry Brown that's exited the NBA for the NCAA? That Larry Brown?

D'Antoni never really believed in Lin. Lin was the only choice he had, and he went with the flow.

These are also the same scouts that thought he didn't belong in the NBA.

As I've said before, I don't object to this comparison, because Dragic is a good Point Guard. I don't think it's a stretch to believe that Dragic and Lin can be All-Stars by their own merit a few years down the road. Lin's a gym rat, and he's made great strides every year. It's not far-fetched to expect more than just average Point production from him, because he's not average.

20. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Larry Brown is a terrific coach, but if you look at his track record, he's not a good judge of talent. (Some people have joked: if Larry Brown doesn't like Lin, then Lin is for sure legit.)

He's also a good friend of Woodson's, and Felton is his guy from Charlotte. So he has a personal interest there.

"Brown also likes a specific type of pg (felton) who is already better than Lin."

He's for sure a better defender than Lin, but he's not better overall, imo. He's more proven, yeah -- proven to suck.