1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GQ] The Jeremy Lin Debate No One Wants to Have

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Jul 19, 2012.

1. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2012/07/the-jeremy-lin-debate-no-one-wants-to-have.html

3 people like this.
  2. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

It should probably be merged with other Lin threads but it's a well-reasonsed article.

3. ejarts

ejarts Member

BURN. By GQ. Mens magazine. You know you messed up bad.lol

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

This guy speaks the truth and I'm not Asian. Carmelo's breach of professional baller's etiquette speaks volumes.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

yes could ve been merged...but do note, if a team that claims to want to have you...signs an aging PG in Kidd...and then targets getting a player like Felton...they didnt want Lin either...

Time will only tell how Lin will do as a bball player...and i personally would love it for this to be the story of inspiration...If Lin does well...and the Knicks and their pathetic fans will be more inflamed!

6. Pete the Cheat

Stopped reading when he said it would only be a $15MM Lux Tax hit...if you are gonna put the Knicks on blast you got plentyof ammo...at least get your facts straight

7. amaru

amaru Member

:rolls eyes:

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Like seriously...no one should ever comment on a player that is on your team that gets a contract...regardless of how unreasonable it may be...just show love and stfu...Carmelo is costing the Knicks 24 mil...Amare...20...Tyson 15...they all are destroying the cap space...

Thank you CBA for creating a chance for everyone to get good players...

The Miami thing was a freak of nature...a perfect storm...Lebron makes more thru endorsements...almost 30 mil...so for him to take a cut in salary not a biggie...but for Bosh, salary was an issue...hence why Bosh is the highest paid among the trio

9. AggieRocketFan96

Interesting article, I think it deserves its own thread. It is more interesting to me from the perspective of Carmelo than it is Dolan. I can't stand Melo, he is a total prima donna. This was on full display in the games leading to his return from injury after Lin was already making his mark on the Knicks and was even predicted by most sportscasters. I truly hope Melo's time with the Knicks stays mediocre and Jeremy helps the Rockets rise.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Knicks f'd up for amenestying the wrong player in Billups...could have axed Amare and his crappy contract next year...That would have made more sense...

They tied their own hands in a knot and then claimed that the Rockets did so...

The Rockets made it clear...that it was playing within the rules of the CBA...and were going to be predatory on the Market...

Key points...The Rockets and their mgmt were better prepared to deal with this onslaught than the Knicks were...The Rockets were just unlucky to strike out on both Pau and Bosh

11. munco

munco Member

While, there could be elements of racism involved with Melo and Dolan's feelings towards Lin and the contract but I don't think you can assume it to be true either. It's possible, but far from definite.

Now some of those remarks on his facebook page were clearly from a bunch of low level, scum of the earth racists.

12. Aceman2009

Aceman2009 Contributing Member

he was saying the downside involved with the 15 mil, not that the 15 mil was the tax. it may be worded awkward but its not wrong.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It is irony then that the ethnicity that got him his big contract in the first place also caused the Knicks to not match it? Am I supposed to look down on the Knicks for not wanting to pay him because he's Chinese, or should I look down on the Rockets for paying him so much because he's Chinese? I suppose the safe route is to do both.

14. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

More like elements of stupidity rather than racism. You never ever throw your teammate under the bus like that.... Dolan is just a r****d.

15. Jappleack

Jappleack Member

I agree with his points about Carmelo, I've had the same thoughts myself.

I hate how every minor thing is labeled "racist" so I won't use that term, I guess cultural difference would be the best way to phrase it.

Lin's asian, graduated from Harvard with two parents, that's pretty far from being raised in tough streets of Baltimore by only his mom.

But yeah it's a serious breach of protocol to call someone's contract "ridiculous". Us fans can say it, it may even be justified, but athletes don't say that about other athletes money.

Either it was just something that slipped out (unlikely since Carmelo has been a star for a long time he knows how the media will scrutinize his words) or a deliberate shot at Lin either way it was dumb and I hope Carmelo gets what he deserves.

16. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

17. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

he's got a point. So many people want Lin to be indebted to the knicks cause they gave him a shot to play. But shouldnt he be upset it took that long? what took them so long to realize he was better than douglas or bibby??

no doubt race has an impact. you have freaking stephen a smith wishing javele mcgee well on twitter, telling him he could be one of the best in the league if he put in the work. CAn you imagine him tweeting that to Lin? No freaking way. Add to that McGee (maybe the worst bball iq in the league) just got a ridiculous 11 million dollars a year contract...where's the outrage?!?!44 mill for a guy gets 11 points, 7 boards, a block or 2 and 4 bonehead plays a game.

18. jclee

jclee Member

this article is perfect, only few media people mentioned similar analysis on this contract issue. Let's not forget....this is a sport for blacks only, right? so when anyone else get paid, it's totally wrong. I can't stand when all the r****ds out there keep harping on the 15 mil for the 3rd year, really? it's three years for $25 mil! who cares how it's paid in 3 years! It's still 25 mil!
    We stuck it to the Knicks and I love it.

19. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

The writer is right, but yes this is stuff no one wants to talk about. It's also an unspoken rule for minorities not to rip on each other, at least in public.

20. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Race is such a huge part of this whole story. Just look at how the black nba reporters and commentators cover Lin vs. the others. They have almost universal contempt for the guy and constantly play up the flash in the pan meme.