1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GQ] The Jeremy Lin Debate No One Wants to Have

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

He averaged 18-8 as a starter his first year with playing time. He's young and improving. He'll prove you wrong.

All my opinion, of course.

2. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

You could say the same thing about Dragic. Career backup. Showed flashes in Phoenix but not necessarily consistent. Had a great run (comparable to that of Jeremy Lin) with the Rockets but again, somewhat inconsistent down the stretch. I don't think Dragic proved any more than Lin during their respective ones, yet one's contract is "premature" and the other isn't.

3. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

"runs", I meant "runs".

4. mig0s

mig0s Member

I would so love to see next season, when Rockets play at the Garden, where Jeremy Lin scores 28pts, 11 assists, 4 steals, getting the winning shot over Felton, who went 1-8 with 5 turnovers.

5. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Because Melo was 3rd over all pick. Paid millions. Melo is just another black NBA player in an already overcrowded of NBA stars and isn't the first.

If Melo had these kind of situations while growing up:
    -adopted, parents didn't want him
    -a humble kid, work his butt off and had good grades but many college didn't want him because they thought he was too skinny and not basketball ready
    -same thing with the NBA from the above statement ^^^
    -live off the street and one day a scout give him a chance to play in Europe
    -his playing was cut short and return to US
    -giving another chance in the CBA, then was let go
    -finally giving another chance with an NBA team and he took off

^^Now if he went through all that adversary it would probably gotten the same treatment like Lin.

6. wonderkins

wonderkins Member

Microaggressions play a huge factor into the Lin story. Very few people are flat out racist. However, almost no one is immune to having stereotypes (whether commonplace or personal) affect their decisions/discussions however slight.

7. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

jose calderon $10.5 mil this year
    devin harris $8.5
    mike conley $7.3
    Beno freaking Udrih $7.3

Are any of those players so much better than Lin at 5 mill per year?

Cmon. We all know what this is about. They just dont want to admit it.

8. amaru

amaru Member

If this is the jeremy lin debate nobody wants to have....then why does the author want to have it.

9. amaru

amaru Member

If that is true then Carmelo would only get 'half membership". His father was not African American. Surely you dont assume every black person you see in the U.S. is an African American do you?

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats what I thought, too. "Ridiculous" meant "Gimmicky approach". Not the amount of money.

People keep on trying to put things into and plots and casting people, they'll fudge the facts to make a sensible "storyline".

Article is saying NOBODY understands Jeremy Lin, the players or the owner, cuz he's some kind of enigma cuz of his ethnicity. Not sure about that.

But it is a debate point

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Given that the Rockets simply cannot offer more than $5mil in the first two years, and that if they want to offer $8mil/yr they have to make the 3rd year $15mil, why would Melo be pissed at the structure of the contract?

Unless Melo thinks Lin isn't worth 1/3 of his own salary, or he has absolutely no clue as to how NBA contracts work, then he is talking about Lin's contract being ridiculous.

13. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Are those slanted eyes?

I honestly don't see why everyone cries racism when talking about Lin. I just don't get it.

14. tefunk

tefunk Member

Nets’ Stackhouse said Rockets overpaid for Jeremy Lin

Video: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/behindthemic/#/nba/2012/07/19/0719.bm_nba_jeremy_lin

New Nets guard Jerry Stackhouse thinks the Knicks made the right move by not bringing back Jeremy Lin.

Stackhouse, an 18-year NBA veteran, said in a video interview on SI.com that the Rockets’ three-year, $25.1 million offer sheet was too much to match “for a guy that’s only played 25 games for you.” Lin, a restricted free agent, signed the sheet and the Knicks decided officially Tuesday not to meet it, mostly because Houston tinkered with it late and added more guaranteed money in the third year.

Stackhouse, who will be playing his home games across the East River from the Knicks in Brooklyn this coming season, believes the Rockets might grow to regret the finances of the deal, too.

“I think it’s too much, I think they're gonna look back three years from now and say we maybe could have used this to go out and get another player,” Stackhouse said. ... “I think it’s going to hamper them.”

Lin “was great” for the Knicks last year, Stackhouse said, but even “the cable man” – Knicks owner and Cablevision head James Dolan – said it “was a little bit too much.” Stackhouse feels that Raymond Felton, who the Knicks acquired in a sign-and-trade with the Blazers last week, is “a better point guard than Jeremy Lin right now.”

Stackhouse, who signed a one-year deal with the Nets earlier this month, also doesn’t think the added marketability of Lin due to his Asian American heritage will help in Houston.
    “I don’t think they’re gonna sell that much [merchandise],” Stackhouse said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/new_net_guard_stackhouse_knicks_EcymmPsY3tRt3BB3r0ruAL?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Knicks

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cant wait for the the next Players union meeting.

16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Clutchfans' RKREBORN says Stackhouse is a scrub.

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Didn't Jerry Stackhouse get like 20 billion dollars when he was on the Wizards or something like that, or am I completely wrong?

18. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

He needs to retire already

19. Dei

Dei Member

20. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm... I am seeing a pattern here... Don't remember players complaining or offering opinions on any other players contracts