1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GQ] The Jeremy Lin Debate No One Wants to Have

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Jul 19, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

Melo isn't a scum bag. He just handles the media terribly. I don't think that he was saying that Lin did not deserve the money. But Melo should have just kept his mouth shut. You are right though the fact that players have openly gone out of there way to discuss his contract his absurd. Never seen this before ever. I think a lot of this was spurred by the media though. People were asking so many people over and over. Just shocked that people just didn't say no comment or the rockets were confident in his ability that they chose to invest in him. Simple and sweet.

2. zdrav

zdrav Member

It'll take at least a generation or so for the Jeremy Lin Effect to cascade down the youth levels and inspire legions of Asian-American kids to seriously pursue professional careers in basketball. Sure, because of JLin7, maybe a few standout Asian kids who would've in the past gotten overlooked by D1 teams may get offers, but there is absolutely no threat to the black dominance of basketball in America.

Rather, this is about some black people feeling insecure because one of the fundamental sources of black masculine identity in America is being seized, at least momentarily, by someone from the lowest American racial caste (at least in terms of masculinity): an Asian.

Asian masculinity is so derided in American society that even being beat (or outpaid) by a record-breaker like Jeremy Lin is tantamount to being beaten up by your kid brother. Melo and Smith and Stackhouse probably have no problems with Nash or Love or Rubio; they may think that those white players have a little less athletic ability to rely on, but whites are an acceptable sidekick race.

Not Asians though. Asians are useless when it comes to high-profile, star-making activities. That's why Asians are "naturally" suited to be background people, crunching numbers and other menial work. That's what they're really good for. Well that, and providing attractive women to white and black guys.

So how could some undrafted nerd from such a laughable demographic completely overshadow a league full of the biggest and most acrobatic athletes in American sports? It MUST'VE been all hype. Or it MUST'VE been a fluke. Or it MUST'VE been an anti-black conspiracy.

We... We didn't really just get owned by some Asian dude, did we? :eek:

1 person likes this.
  3. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

4. zdrav

zdrav Member

This is just getting ridiculous. Why does Jerry Stackhouse feel the need to comment on the contract of a player who's not even on his team and affects him in no immediate way? Moreover, why is he essentially praising the actions of a team that will soon become the Nets' most hated rivals?

It's obvious that a bunch of butthurt black guys still can't accept it that an Asian kid can make it in the NBA. They've grudgingly accepted white players (so long as they're still a distinct minority), but they still can't believe that someone from race they sincerely believe to be intrinsically feminine can out-ball and out-earn them.

The only thing that would make this worse is if Jeremy Lin was a flaming homosexual who openly made out with Justin Bieber.

And I don't want to pin this on all black people. It's just a few bitter idiots like Melo and J.R. Smith and Jerry Stackhouse and Stephen A. Smith. People like Spike Lee (whom nobody would ever mistake for an Uncle Tom type), Chris Rock, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, and Magic Johnson have all gone out of their way to praise and support for Jeremy Lin.

Let the racially-motivated haters hate.

5. wonderkins

wonderkins Member

Wow, I really don't get why Stackhouse would make these comments.

I cannot recall another time a player publicly criticized another player's contract like this.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

Melo just said something stupid, he handles the media poorly everyone knows that. Lin himself said Melo and JR were always supportive. Stackhouse though does need to stop talking. He has been historically overpaid so he can't even open his mouth and SAS looks like a muppet. When did LBJ ever go out of his way to support Lin? I think you are mistaking on that one.

7. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

Umm I saw 2 Asians posters and say they did not think Melo is being racist...

I myself just have a problem with NBA players speaking about Lin's contract I dont care if its because of racism, or what ever...

they shouldnt be doing it...period

please find me posts from Asian posters saying "claiming that blacks are being racist toward Lin"

8. zdrav

zdrav Member

I can't find any articles for some reason, but LeBron James said that Lin was a good talent and that his story was inspirational for people everywhere.

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

LOL @ "debate no one wants to have."