1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If CP3 ditches the Rockets, no big FA's sign, and Capela isn't matched...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Appreciate the info, cod. Thanks!!

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Great recap of what CP3 really is, we as fans ignore that because we came "close" to beating the Dubs. However, James needs a side kick that can take the ball out of his hands late in the game and make plays. I still like Aaron Gordon if we lose Capela and Ariza. That is $27 mln alone. I just like the ideal of getting a 23 old potential star.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Exiled

Exiled Member

We can always bring back: Dorsey,Asik,T.Jones,DMo, Aaron Brook, Bobby Brown,JL,Delfino and rebuild in no time to be 2nd only to GSW-Ref.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. riko

riko Member

Codman pretty much said that the rockets have no worries regarding Paul since he will return

whiskeyred and hakeem94 like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Great to hear from you Codman. Hope all is well.

whiskeyred and hakeem94 like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

FlyRy aka the anchor around the Rockets neck aka the 20 million dollar man aka Ryan Anderson.

BigMaloe, t0mdotcom and xiki like this.
  7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

FlyRy aka the boa constrictor around the Rockets neck aka the 20 million dollar man aka Ryan Anderson aka ByeByeRy (but return an asset on your way to open threeland).

BigMaloe, t0mdotcom and J.R. like this.
  8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

How did you come up with that number?

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Ryan Bowen is rolling in his grave after hearing that his nickname got passed on to someone of lesser talent.

BigMaloe, Vivi, J.R. and 1 other person like this.
  10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

its still june, we're already thinking like this lol

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

According to basketball reference, if you exclude all cap holds and just use actual $$ to be paid next year, the Rockets are at $80.4 million in salary. So give up your rights on CP3, Capela, Ariza...

With a $105 million cap (a guess, in the ballpark), not sure even that's enough room for an Aaron Gordon. And of course you're not giving up your rights on Capela, and it's just $3.4 million anyway. That gives you like $22 million of room, for a restricted Aaron Gordon.

He's getting more than that... or at least would definitively be matched.

The only thing I could see potentially working would be S&T Capela for Gordon. I don't love that, or really even like that much... but in a world where maybe you could do that and cross your fingers on a guy like Nerlens Noel... and where maybe there is a lot of noise that someone is signing Capela to the max anyway and DM doesn't want to match that, or DM really likes Aaron Gordon's upside... "maybe".

Personally, the guy needs a lot of work on his shot, should be a better rebounder, and is a meh defender. He's just so young and athletic still, and does have skills so you'd really be betting on the upside and that he'd excel next to guys like Harden, CP3.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thread should be retitled: What if Morey gets hit by a bus and Kevin McHale becomes GM. Because that's the only way stuff like this will happen.

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If the Rockets were to strike out on LeBron and George, I think they should consider dangling Anderson to Charlotte for Nicolas Batum. Charlotte would go for it because Batum’s deal is actually worse than Anderson’s, and the Rockets add a guy that is another valuable weapon against the Warriors. Batum is basically Ariza with playmaking ability, too. Contract wise, Batum makes around $5 mil more a season that Anderson does.

14. DVauthrin

Great info Cod, and I hope you are doing well. Question for you, do you think there is a chance the Rockets would sign and trade Capela as part of a LeBron trade, and is that something Clint and his representation would be open to? Thanks.

15. DVauthrin

The only realistic way the Rockets could get Gordon would be get Capela to accept being sign and traded to Orlando for a sign and traded Aaron Gordon. Even if they renounce every free agent, the Rockets will not have the cap space to offer a max contract. And there’s no other asset they have that would entice the rebuilding Magic.

Considering the goal is to win a championship, his impact on the team, and the fact they don’t have the cap space to sign another max caliber player if he leaves, the Rockets have to bring CP3 back, health concerns and all. It’s a risk they have to take.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks as always @Codman for the Ears.

Right now, pretty pessimistic on getting LBJ / PG. @cyberx's posts and Jeanie Buss' tweet don't help.

Hoping the backup plan has enough oomph to improve the Rockets.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The @Codman post I was "hoping to hear" was......

"The Ears are saying that CP3 and James Harden are working overtime, getting in James' ear to join the Rockets, etc etc."

Would just be nice to hear that confirmation.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I am just not feeling it on Lebron. I just don't see it in the cards for the rox. That said.

What are some realistic pieces that could actually push us closer? I know we need a sharpshooter or two. Reddick is a name that has floated around, but how would we pull something like that off considering the money he made last year. We could not come close to offering that (at least with ryno here). Just feels like if we had some legit snipers we might be hoisting that trophy instead of Stephanie and company.

napalm06 likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

JJ's contract last year was an exception and not the rule. Philly needed a shooter and had cap room so they threw their wad at JJ to fill a need. He's probably going to command maybe 10-12 million per this time around. Despite the Rockets needing shooters, I wouldn't want to sign JJ unless it's cheap (aka cheap as hell aka vet's minimum) because his defense is noexistent.

After the LeBron James domino falls, the free agent market will be clearer.

20. aroundtheblock2

Gross. I want nothing to do with him. Not a good shooter.