1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Movement_Is_Medicine

I deal with autoimmune, though not as extreme. It definitely makes training difficult when symptoms are in full force.

However, as a S&C coach and get people get sent to me towards the end of the physical therapy process, I'd advise against looking online for exercises to do. Without a proper evaluation from a qualified professional, you could end up hurting them. There's more to it than just looking for a method/tool.

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'll tell her to set up a physical therapy appointment and have the PT give a set of exercises she can perform in her spare time, if any.

Movement_Is_Medicine likes this.
  3. Movement_Is_Medicine

They normally give exercises, but if they don't, I'd definitely ask.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Typically in the vegetarian section at the grocery store. In produce at HEB and typically by the cheese in Kroger.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I just hit 228, which means I'm officially 25 pounds down. I want to lose at least 30 more.

It's been about a month on the keto diet and I haven't wavered. It's easy enough. I've noticed some changes, too. Feel great.

This is the lightest I've been since I was hardcore into doing HIIT (Insanity) about five years ago. I was down to 224 then. I'm set to smash that within a week or two.

I just started taking BCAAs as I'm not supplementing with protein or anything like that. This stuff tastes good, to boot. It may only be mental, but I feel it's helping in my lifting and running as well. I'm also taking a thermogenic pill. Anyone think this is not good?

I've run into some tendonitis type pain on the medial side of my ankle/foot, radiating up to the top of my foot. I think it's from ratcheting up my running, especially on an incline, too quickly. At night, it wakes me up while I'm sleeping, to be honest. Then, as the day goes on, it gets better. No pain, no gain, I guess.

Next goals:

Eliminating soda from my diet. I got some great advice to substitute soda with seltzer water. Will try this. A co-worker has been doing this since 2006 and has never looked back.

I told my wife that as a reward, when I hit 210, I'm buying us both new mountain bikes. We have bikes, but they're old and you can't take them on the trails. These will be trail rated bikes. She doesn't know it, bit she's getting a trailer hitch and a hitch mounted bike rack for her car for Valentine's day. How romantic. I'll also start riding my bike to work at this point. It's only a mile and a half. No big deal.

I can't wait for the spring for biking and kayaking. Gonna smash some goals and hit my goal weight by time we go on a cruise in May. Shouldn't be a problem.

I'm in a biggest loser contest at work as well. I'm aiming for first, of course, but worst case, I'll get second. First is $200, second is $100. A little extra motivation.

#1085 Two Sandwiches, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  6. SK34

SK34 Member

Hey guys,

I need help. I have cut out a lot of carbs from my diet, but I was wondering is their a rule of thumb one should follow in regards to how many carbs I can eat throughout the day? I like to eat fruits throughout the day because it helps with my sugar cravings but then fruits have a lot of carbs. What should I do?

7. Movement_Is_Medicine

*Disclaimer: without an assessment, etc, this is extremely general.*

In general, set your protein amount first if you haven't done so. Then you can set your carb amount (1g per lb of bodyweight) to give you a starting baseline. See how your body reacts after a week or two, then make adjustments. Everyone reacts differently. Typically the leaner you are and the more active (high training volume), the more carbs you'll need. But again, some people feel better running on lower carb intakes. Like training, things need to be individualized, but giving yourself a baseline to start will help.

#1087 Movement_Is_Medicine, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

unless this "fruit" is juice or something, don't limit it. Most fruit is very low in calories per volume and fiber so it will not hurt any calorie restriction goals. look to limit calories elsewhere.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Parsing through these last few pages to see my posts on where I've been. My weight loss has slowed, but it's still coming along. I've only lost about 12 pounds in the last four weeks. I'm down to 216 from 253 since January 2nd, though, so overall, not too bad. I'm 6'2" barefoot, so im thinning down a lot, but im definitely not skinny. I've got a good 16-20 pounds to lose before I hit my goal. I'd like to do that my May 14th, which is when I leave for a cruise.

I've been trying to reflect on what I've been doing differently that I could change, but the only thing that I can think of is less soda (trying to eliminate it, but find it very difficult) and maybe less Quest bars, although they fit with my macros.

I did drop my calories down, which changed my macros, and have seen some recent success with that. Starting to lift heavier, and expand into the types of dumbbell lifts I used to do as a high schooler.

Love the fact that I'm the lowest weight I've been in about ten years. Basically since freshman year of college. Another 10 pounds, and I'll be where I was my senior year of high school. Can't believe it.

Just trying not to get frustrated with the slow progress. Once this contest is over in two and a half weeks, the pressure of rapid weight loss will be lifted. That'll be nice.

LCAhmed likes this.
  10. Movement_Is_Medicine

When any of my clients start to hit that "plateau" during fat loss/body recomp, I suggest making it a priority to maintain for some time (4 weeks or so). It's harder than most realize. You'll also be giving your body a break from the extra stress (dieting & training are stressors) and get to put more emphasis into your training during the food maintenance phase. During this time I have my clients usually increase their training volume (I monitor their recovery) since they're eating more.

Try not to stress it and enjoy the process.

#1090 Movement_Is_Medicine, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. ths balla

ths balla Member

Whats the consensus on whole wheat/grain bread once in awhile in your diet. Is bread completely off limits, or a healthy option in moderation? Thanks

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It depends on the individual. For a healthy individual whole grains should be a limited part of their diet. Whole Wheat/grain bread is fine and even healthy in moderation.

That can change for individuals depending on their current diet/weight/other health concerns.

13. Movement_Is_Medicine

Case by case. There's celiac and non-celiac gluten intolerance. Carb tolerance will differ with each person as well. If you don't have any issues, start with the principle of CICO (calories in, calories out). I usually start with calories and protein intake with individuals I work with, but will refer out to a dietician.

This is a good read: http://physiqonomics.com/eating-too-much/

mikol13 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I've been getting some crazy exertion headaches lately, a few days ago doing hack squats and today with pull ups. Has anyone else experienced anything like that? Any way to prevent them from happening again?

15. Movement_Is_Medicine

Check hydration and/or electrolyte levels first. If you're getting enough, the next step I'd recommend would be to a medical professional.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You not breathing right. Are you holding your breath when repping out?

17. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I couldn't imagine that being the problem, I drink a ton of water and get plenty of sodium and potassium (both through high potassium foods and supplementing with nosalt).

I generally hold my breath during a rep but not for multiple reps (outside of bench/OHP which I haven't had problems with).

18. Movement_Is_Medicine

There are some questions I'll ask my clients because I know their histories, but since I don't have that with you, I'd suggest going to see someone.

Example is why I suggest it: I've heard of someone suggest rolling out (foam roller, lax ball, etc) some tension/tightness. However, what they felt was neither fitness nor orthopedic, but a medical issue. They're alive because they went and got it checked out.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You want exhale slowly when your pushing. Bruce Lee always held his breath and caught a brain aneurysm. Your vessels are elastic like a balloon, it'll pop sooner or later.

hvic likes this.
  20. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

It happened again today during my first warm-up set of deadlifts, was definitely hydrated, wasn't holding my breath, and I even properly warmed up for once. I guess I'll take a week off and try again, this sucks.