1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's pasta made out of tofu. Tastes just like pasta without the carbs or calories or cooking.

2. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Nice man. Let me know how swimming works out for you. We have a lap pool at my apartment and ive been tempted to use it.

I havent been on any strict diet but started on December 12th with lots of cardio work outs and my weight was 186. As of now I am down to 169 and looking lean as ever. I need to start adding some muscle definition but it feels so good to have a flat stomach now.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. val_modus

val_modus Member

I had a grade 3 ankle sprain after college that ballooned me up like 20 pounds, so I had to hit the pool for a while. It's one of the best full body/aerobic workouts you can get, especially if you have swam in the past and have form. I'd recommend going for sets of a certain number of laps for forty five minutes a day initially, and then trying out sprints to do a little HIIT style training in the pool so you don't plateau.

4. Fantasma Negro

Where?

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, I'm not the best swimmer out there. I'll just come out and say it.

I learned to swim, actually while my grandma was babysitting a certain baseball family's house (starts with a La and ends with a Roche). My mom took me to the deep end of their pool on her back, dropped me off and swam away. I was like six. Needless to say, I never really learned proper form, despite trying to fine tune it over the years.

Problem is, I never got good at breathing while I swim. Because of that, and because most of the longer distance swimming I've ever done has been snorkelling in the Caribbean or Mexico, I decided recently to just swim at the pool with a snorkel. Helps me so much more.

I swam today. Did a half mile (36 laps at my pool) in 35 minutes. Not great, but a start for me. Then I lifted a little back, chest, and abs. Then I ran five miles (KT tape and ibuprofen worked wonders).

This diet is no joke. I take one supplement. It is supposed to help with your breathing efficiency and fat burning, I believe. I don't know if it was the supplement or the diet, but I've been taking the supplement for a while and never felt like this.

This was the best workout I've had since high school. I never felt tired. No side stitch. Just needed to take a rest in the pool periodically to slow my heart rate. I felt amazing. Was at the gym three hours. I tried to tell my wife that when I was lifting and running, my muscles felt like I was on drugs.

You know that feeling you get when you're so hungry you're stomach feels like it's eating itself? Well, each muscle group felt that way as I was isolating it on lifts. Then, my abs felt it as I ran. Maybe that's not the best thing?

Fun day though.

It did get a little awkward when I saw my dentist as I was showering and had a random five minute conversation with him. Lol

6. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

this is good stuff. i am in the same boat as you eddie, i wasn't taught how to properly swim, just kinda self taught. i really should take a swim class to learn to at least do freestyle stroke. swimming is great exercise, works all muscles and great for the muscles as well. less pounding/wear and tear

7. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Have you tried swimming or water exercises for your cardio? I used to have intense lower back pain after working out and even just housework (mowing the lawn, moving furniture). I think a lot of it is because of poor posture and gaining a ton of weight during school but I recently got into swimming and some water aerobics and it's helped me out a lot.

From what I have read online, swimming helps exercise your muscles without putting so much weight on your back.

8. Movement_Is_Medicine

"Tightness" is usually a sign that area lacks stability/strength. The areas that seem to bother you (posterior chain) are a weakness for a lot of people and it happens to be the areas people complain about being "tight".

9. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you can probably cut your cardio back to once a week until your ankle heals up. running and other exercise will definitely help you lose weight, but in reality the best way to lose weight is to cut back on what you're taking in.

with the keto diet you're certainly on the right track. hop on one of the calorie counting weight loss sites and adjust down the amount of exercise you do to see how many calories you can eliminate while still losing weight. what percentages of your diet are coming from fat, protein, and carbs?

10. Two Sandwiches

Ankle is actually feeling a little better.

I've been swimming more. Doing a half mile most days. Going on the treadmill once or twice a week and then working out a few days a week as well.

Trying to stick to the classic 75/20/5 as much as I can.

I'm nearing 20 pounds since January 2nd, which was when I started ramping up with the cardio. Joined a weight loss contest at work, so that's my motivation. Ideally, I'd keep the same pace, as the competition goes through some time in March.

I'm sitting at about 233. I'd like to hit around 195ish in the end. Then, start bulking up and put on a solid 15 pounds or so.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think we have the same metabolism. Carbs are satan for me, everything else is fine. When you're in ketosis you have endless energy.

If you're hitting a wall with cardio, there is no better way to break that wall than by lifting weights more. I know it seems counterintuitive, but you will lose more fat by lifting at this point. If you hit this wall and keep pushing with cardio, you will start losing muscle and muscle is super precious. And you will get a head start on shaping your body and the slightly extra muscle will go a long way in protecting you from gaining back what you've lost.

You can work out a program with little rest and high reps that will destroy you in 1 hour, you could easily burn 800+ calories.

Good luck and keep it up man!

12. Two Sandwiches

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try it!

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

30 mins on stationary bike while in the comfort of your living room and checking your online media =best exercise hack.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Bandwagoner likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

Welcome to the board.:)

Movement_Is_Medicine likes this.
  16. Movement_Is_Medicine

Thank you! :D

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

So I have a friend who is partially paralyzed right now. She has an immune disorder and deals with epilepsy. Her last seizure rendered her partially paralyzed from the neck down but over the past six months or so has regained movement until about her waist. She asked me to help her with some exercises in the gym so she can hopefully regain full motion of her body, but I'm not sure what to do. Like I don't want to do some exercise that ends up making her worse.

She says she gets muscle spasm sensations in her legs which I take as a good sign and some gym exercises would be aimed at preventing leg muscle atrophy and helping her hopefully walk again. I'm Googling physical therapy exercises for someone temporarily paralyzed from the waist down but it's not exactly a common search on YT or google. Any Physical or Occupational Therapists on this board with some insight to share?

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

Combination of symptoms like that usually happen to relatively young people. I don't see a substitute of consulting a physio-oc therapist at least to see their guidelines and you carry on from there

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Yea as far as I know she's been sick for most of her life but she's in her mid twenties now. She does stuff on her own in her apartment but never consulted a physical therapist. They just finished getting a new mold for both of her legs as she was getting new casts replaced for her feet for about a month straight or so to prevent them from atrophying the wrong way. I'm not sure if her insurance covers her to see a physical therapist but I know she's friends with one who may be able to help. Just thought I'd see if any internet experts could chime in.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

if it's sle,there is a (semi )treatment with severe side effects(chemotherapy). For the mobility,children do better than adult who battle typically with depression and loose interest in sticking to physical therapy. You just wonder if the patient should insist to have anti depressants ,I checked the latest in up to date info. ,nothing has been added in a while. Best of luck