1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Draft: QB Progress Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Honey Bear, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Aren't you a Titans fan?

If so, aren't you sick if getting bullied by this defense? Wouldn't you want us k draft offense?

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I just don't see it with Hackenberg. He has "potential" but he never put it together in college. He's a project. A guy you hope can put it together because of his tools, but hasn't done it yet so it remains questionable whether he ever will. I don't know how much the draft process can help Hack because he can't change the fact that he underperformed in college. The narrative is that he has tools but underperformed on the field. How is the combine going to change that? It can't. Everybody knows he has tools. If he does well at the combine or in workouts, it'll really surprise no one. But the question will still remain whether he can perform in games or not.

IMO, you don't spend a first round pick on a guy like that. At this point, he has to be considered a project. Really not all that different from Tom Savage in that respect. And you don't take project QBs in the first. I'm sure he'll go higher than where other "project QBs" typically go, but I don't think it's the first round.

3. what

what Member

I just want the texans to prolong getting a quarterback for another year. lol

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You guys make up a lot of excuses for loser QB's but can't stand to give props to a winner.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely! We need Tebow! All he does is win, they even made a song about it.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Spoke with NFL evaluator who was at Cotton Bowl: "This is why you go to games to see these guys. Cook had terrible body language all game"</p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/683051818054774786" data-datetime="2016-01-01T16:26:58+00:00">January 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nice try.

8. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Watching Hogan from Stanford in the Rose Bowl. He looks like a leader. Seems like he's got QB tools. Wonder what his prospects are.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The argument goes something like this:

Hackenberg had his best year under O'Brien. He looked destined to be a future number one pick. He had the best talent around him, showed the best mechanics, and put up great numbers.

Since Franklin has taken over, he's in a system that doesn't quite fit him, with talent that is diminishing around him. His offensive line is absolutely horrendous. They run very screwy protection schemes that never result in actual protection. His receivers drop a lot of passes. He doesn't have a ton of playmakers to take pressure off of him.

Not only that, but he's mostly running out of the shotgun because of his line's lack of protection. His footwork has regressed because of these two things, which has resulted in his accuracy regressing. He still shows many glimpses each game, though, of being a potentially elite quarterback.

I say he'll rise up the boards because he's a great teammate and has a great football IQ. He'll display this as the combine, and he'll also be able to show his fundamentals while not under duress.

I compare him to Jay Cutler. Trent Dilfer compares him to Aikman. I think he falls somewhere between the two.

10. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Jared Goff is without a doubt worth a first round pick.

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

It's O'Brien, it's going to be Hackenberg in the 2nd round.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I would be ok with this. Don't think he'll make it to round 3. A Garopollo feel to his draft stock

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Dont understand where this comes from. BoB has had 17 draft pics and not a single one went to a player from Penn St. despite 6 players being drafted by other teams.

14. what

what Member

It would be funny if someone snapped up hackenburg right before the texans pick in the second round and they drafted another LB.

Just like what happened last year. But hey, yall will have your rb replacement.

15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

For me it comes from his tendency to bring in Quarterbacks he is familiar with whenever he has had the chance. (Hoyer and Mallet).

#655 Chilly_Pete, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny that a Titans fan is talking about drafting QB's....I mean, the Titans just did that and they are still the laughing stock of the NFL and they are looking at potentially the top pick in the draft.

17. what

what Member

Talk to me when the texans ever get past anybody but career choker like andy dalton.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Coming from a fan of a team with as many playoff wins in the last 15 years as the Texans have in the last five....

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

LMFAO

Posted the stats recently, but Texans now dominate TEN head2head all-time record-wise, point-diff-wise, recent dominance-wise. AN EXPANSION vs AN ESTABLISHED FRANCHISE within 10 years of existence. :eek:

I'm surprised a Titas fan would even begin to argue, but life is.

20. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Watching Chad Kelly from Ole Miss, I'd love it if he came out early. He's solid and has good bloodlines.