1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zoomer (Gen Z) Work Ethic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

40% of business leaders think recent Gen Z college graduates aren't prepared to enter the workforce, new survey says — and some said they won't even hire them
    Haley Tenore
    Aug 7, 2023, 3:32 AM ET
    [​IMG]
    Managers say gen z is difficult to work with and some say they avoid hiring gen z workers.
    Construction Photography/Avalon/Getty Images
    • 40% of business leaders in a new survey indicated recent Gen Z college grads are unprepared for the workplace.
    • Of that subset, 94% said that they have avoided hiring recent college graduates.
    • Many felt "etiquette classes" could help ease their transition into post-college jobs.
    Generation Z is entering into the workforce, and while many recent college graduates are likely excited for the new opportunities that await them, a recent survey indicated that the feeling may not be mutual among their older supervisors.

Many business leaders said that recent college graduates are unprepared for the work environment and some won't even hire them, according to a new survey conducted by Intelligent, an online magazine focused on student life.

Intelligent conducted a survey among 1,243 business leaders, asking about their thoughts on working with the graduating classes of 2020 to 2023, all of whom are Gen Z, or those born between 1997 and 2012. The survey indicated that 40% of the business leaders surveyed think recent college graduates are unprepared to enter the workforce.

However, the majority of those surveyed still felt they were at least somewhat prepared.

According to the survey's methodology, a business leader was defined as someone aged 30 to 60 making at least $75,000 in household income and currently working as a C-Level executive, HR manager, director, president, owner/partner, or senior management at a company with more than 10 people.

The poor perception of recent Gen Z graduates on some business leaders may even be impacting their hiring decisions, the survey indicated. Looking at the 40% of business leaders surveyed who said recent graduates are unprepared to enter the workforce (500 of the 1,243 total respondents), a whopping 94% of that subset told Intelligent that they have avoided hiring them: 7% said that they always avoid hiring the Gen Z grads, 27% said they usually avoid hiring them, 40% said they "sometimes" do, and 20% said they "rarely" avoid hiring them.

Some of the negative traits that the business leaders reported among Gen Z workers were poor work ethic, subpar communication skills, and a sense of entitlement, according to Intelligent.

Of the business leaders who reported feeling Gen Z was unprepared for the workplace, a majority (62%) said that modern culture is at fault, and 48% blamed the COVID-19 pandemic. Some respondents also said that parents and teachers failed to prepare Gen Zers for the workplace, making them hard to work with. 88% of the subset who felt the graduates were unprepared told Intelligent that "etiquette classes" would help.

The survey echoes similar feelings reported by managers in an April survey from Resume Builder. 74% of managers surveyed said Gen Z is more difficult to work with compared to previous generations.

Meanwhile, Gen Z is grappling with fear over their futures. According to a survey by Zip Recruiter, 76% of Gen Z respondents indicated they were worried that ChatGPT could replace them at work.

Diane Gayeski, professor of strategic communication at Ithaca College, told Intelligent that, in 2023, no one is truly prepared for the workplace. She noted rapid changes in technology, the mass resignation of teachers, nurses, and other professionals, and the COVID-19 pandemic as potential contributing factors.

Gayeski said that since Gen Z was still in school during the pandemic, this could have stunted their "people skills."

Some companies and universities, however, are trying to properly train Gen Z employees,according to The Wall Street Journal. The courses, which cover how to behave in an office, what to wear, and other necessary soft skills, may prove beneficial — they're the "etiquette classes" many of the business leaders surveyed by Intelligent suggested could help.

tinman likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Millennial managers complaining of... "poor work ethic, subpar communication skills, and a sense of entitlement."

The older you get, the more things come full circle.

Good luck to the zoomers, this seems to be the most turbulent 1-2 decades...

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I feel like business leaders are the most entitled people on the planet so they are a very bad judge of character when it comes to work ethic.

lpbman likes this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I've hired a few Gen Z people in the last few years, and it's worked out fine. Just need to have the patience to track them. I'm a patient guy. So far they are developing into valuable members of the group and I'm very happy about that.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve got a couple of college students working for my business. While they lack the knowledge they are willing to learn and work hard. The Gen Z Judo students I teach are also hard workers and for the most part willing to learn.

Im sure there are many Gen Z who are spoiled and entitled but that can go to any generation.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you listened to their rap music breh?

7. Xerobull

tinman likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

So spoiled...so entitled...

“Once they can see the Kardashians, they don’t want to do that work anymore,” he said. “They’d rather work in a shop.”

9. Xerobull

it’s real

Invisible Fan and kubli9 like this.
  10. Xerobull

Just got out of a staffing meeting where we discussed another contractor's plan to 'just hire some kids out of college and have them work 12-hour shifts until they prove their worth!'. We all had a good laugh because this other company is all 60yo+ grey-haired executives and they obviously haven't met Gen-Z workers.

#110 Xerobull, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  11. Invisible Fan

And on payday, you give them one shiny dime while giving them a grand lecture of hard work.

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I have no problems with zoomer work ethic under my pay for performance compensation set up -
    the younger generation understands that time is worth more than older people realize- you don't renew your license plate tag through going to the DMV anymore. You do it online.- everything is that way grocery shopping etc more than ever ... my concept is simple, the more you put in my pocket per hour - the more that you get paid up to $30 per hour - you can be on your parents insurance up to 26 year old so it's a different mindset in that age bracket- I actually prefer college kids -this is perfect for my lawn business where I offer premium wage earning based on demonstrated work efficiency-

My daughter is actually the trainer and staff supervisor- I taught my daughter how to run the business effectively and efficiently in the field and she helps on hiring decisions- I guess it's just the nature of the work, but zoomers is my target applicants and I have zero problem with work ethic-