1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zobrist starting at SS tonight for TB

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketfat, Aug 1, 2006.

1. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

This is exactly what I'm saying and you're right.

My original reply was only directed at the guy who said no matter what Zobrist does this season, we got the better end of the deal, which I think is r****ded.

2. padgett316

padgett316 Contributing Member

As you're fully aware, that is not at all what I wrote, but I've come to expect exaggerated, inaccurate rhetoric in response to factual posts on this board.

Not so shockingly, this guy's minor league numbers have proven quite predictive of his major-league abilities, eh?

Adam Everett
    Major Leagues (prior to this year): .253 avg, .305 obp, .365 slg, .670 ops
    Major Leagues (this year) .245 avg, .300 obp, .332 slg, .632 ops
    Minor Leagues: .258 avg, .338 obp, .368 slg, .706 ops

Ben Zobrist
    Minor Leagues (prior to this year): .324 avg, .437 obp, .451 slg, .888 ops
    Minor Leagues (this year): .319 avg, .499 obp, .472 slg, .971 ops

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, ben zobrist was untouchable. :D

i think you guys are seriously discounting the perceived impact aubrey huff could be having with this team given his career. i make that trade every day and twice on sunday to add a bat like that.

4. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

Wow, this doesn't deserve a response.

5. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

Again, at the time it was good trade, and if we were in the same spot again and Huff was hot of course you deal for him.

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Seriously. Have any of you LOOKED at Huff's stats in the past, or are you just going off of what he's done in the 15+ games he's played with the Astros? His "seasonal averages" from ESPN are the following:

.286 BA, 26 HR, 90 RBI, 51 BB, 84 SO, .342 OBP, .474 SLG, .816 OPS

For comparison, here's Ensberg's seasonal averages:

.273 BA, 28 HR, 87 RBI, 76 BB, 96 SO, .370 OBP, .495 SLG, .865 OPS

Pretty close, eh? Did I mention that Huff is also left-handed (bat-wise) and can play 1B, 3B, and outfield? Regardless of the slump he's in, if you can grab a proven guy like that (who's actually younger than Ensberg) for an above average but untested prospect (especially one who's already 25), you make that trade 100 times out of 100, especially if you're trying to win THIS year.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Isn't Zobrist supposed to be the exact same type of player as Jose Vizcaino? He's a switch hitter who plays lots of positions well enough, but none of them well and hits well enough, but not well enough to justify having his glove in the field.

8. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Except Vizcaino actually did it in the majors where Zobrist did it in AA.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

whole lotta of "if's" in there....

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You guys are forgetting the most important point about Zobrist and the Astros. While I can't find Purpura's exact quote, the club did not project Zobrist to be a major league SS. They planned on moving him to 2B, where he'd eventually be behind Chris Burke. That is why they had no problem moving him. He was most likely not going to make it to the majors with the Astros.

11. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Actually, you probably couldn't have chosen a player more unlike Zobrist if you tried. :D

Zobrist's known primarily for his ability to get on-base, something which Viz never had much of an affinity for. Zobrist has also displayed much more power than Vizcaino, which is not a tremendous accomplishment, mind you.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Key is at the time the deal was made, do you go with a Huff-type deal? Or can you absolutely for sure get behind making a move like just calling up Luke Scott and moving Lamb over? The Astros offense is very weak and obvious to the world they needed a bigger bat in the worst way. Lamb has hit all season but woulda been pretty gutsy just going with Scott as the retooling move. Maybe they shoulda called him up sooner and let him play out the year like they did Burke last year but at least we KNEW Huff could and probably will hit.

I agree Everett or even Ausmus shouldnt be given as much protection as they have - If Ensberg or Lidge havent gotten any, why should Everett? Again though, would u get behind Zobrist to be a guy to take over for Everett who's been there for a while and you're trying to go to the World Series? I guess it all depends on if you believe in your prospects. You guys obviously do. Me i'da done the Huff deal 9 times outta 10.

13. Major

Major Member

Because when Ensberg's not hitting or Lidge isn't pitching well, they aren't bringing anything to the table that helps the team. When Everett isn't hitting, he's still at least providing gold glove defense.

The team was built on the premise that Ensberg hits well, Lidge pitches well, and Everett plays great defense. Ensberg's defense is secondary, and Everett's offense is secondary. So if Ensberg is hypothetically sucking defensively, but hitting 40 HRs, you put up with it. Similarly, if Everett is sucking offensively but playing outstanding defense, you put up with it.

If Ensberg stops hitting or Everett starts playing bad defense, they become useless.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Ben Zobrist Watch: Game 2

0-3
    1 RBI
    1 SO

Total:
    0-7
    1 RBI
    2 SO

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would add when Ensberg isn't hitting, at least he's usually walking. I'm not a big fan of one dimensional players.

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

AE's so called "Gold glove defense" is overrated.

I guess if we keep repeating [and drinking AE's aplogists koolade] over and over and over again it will have a hypnotic effect on us. Not!

P.S. Overrated does not mean "bad".

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Who do you think is better?

18. MadMax

watch him make plays behind our second baseman, and tell me that's overrated. you gotta get 27 outs.

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i've never been a proponent of keeping Everett in the lineup mainly b/c of his pathetic offense. but after hearing the 1 error in 40 something odd games stat last night, i've got a new found appreciation for him.

20. MadMax

AS A SHORTSTOP!!! that's sick!!