1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zijie Shen, 16 year old 7 footer, another big kid out of china

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by yaodynasty, Aug 6, 2014.

1. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Why wasn't he able to replicate? You need the opportunity too. I don't think he got a fair shake in the nba considering how talented he was offensively. Happens to more players than you think.

2. lol123

lol123 Member

Shen only fans?

3. SunsRocketsfan

wow i must admit when I saw the title i was expecting another talk lanky stiff .. this dude actually looks like he has potential. Good fundamentals already at such a young age. Will be interesting to see if we can grow his game to the collegiate level and beyond.

4. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

Right.

And the ones discussing in the thread "Alec Brown: 7'1 PF/C and 42% 3 Point Percentage" are all Alec Brown only fans.

The ones posting in the thread "Emmanuel Mudiay heading overseas" are all Emmanuel Mudiay only fans.

And then the ones who has posted in the thread "Thon Maker (7'1 -- ESPN's #1 Player in the Class of 2016)" are all Thon Maker only fans.

Shall I go on?

Looks like you have a brain size of a peanut.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Yi actually had a really decent build. In my opinion better than Yao in that respect. Yi's problem is being shy and not being able to deflect criticism of any kind but he's by far the best built and proportioned Asian basketball player that ever existed. He's like 258 to 260 and cut just too jerky and nervous to play in the NBA.. This kid, on the other hand, has alligator arms that won't work going up against NBA guys just even over 6ft...

6. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Why does he have Burger King whoppers taped to his knees?

7. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Yi = Chinese Stromile Swift

So much physical potential. So little basketball IQ.

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Followed him for a while. He's doing really well in CBA, and could be a solid NBA player someday with potential to be a star.

Zhou Qi, on the other hand, is the best prospect and future of China. He should be a top/lottery pick whenever he enters the draft.

9. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

Are you sure?

Shen has a wingspan of 7'2". As a reference, Yao's wingspan is 7'3" even though he is like 5 inches taller.

10. gambingo

gambingo Member

He's already more skill than some of the centers in the NBA. Take Thabeet for example, the dude could barely dribble to save his life.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This guy has Yao's animation package...

12. supdudes

supdudes Member

Here's the guys I mentioned before. All have potential to be good.

Zhou Qi- 18

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TAsTYNrK9IM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wang Zhelin- 19 (Mute the audio if you want to avoid the homo music)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S0eQf9k4xeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Li MuHao -21

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6vBMJZv1WCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of the three, Zhou Qi has the highest ceiling, but I foresee them becoming dominant in the next 1-2 years.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Shots fired?

14. SunsRocketsfan

Yup I was going to the same thing. He certainly does not have alligator arms.

15. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Looks like Zijie Shen wasn't getting much playing time on China's Junior NT and got more training and exposure in US.

China's current U17 team has two players listed at 6'9", and another at 6'10".

There is another Chinese big man, 6'10" Sun Siyao that plays for Bishop O'Connell and DC Assault AAU.

Definitely no shortage of size for the Chinese. The ones that got D1 scholarships have ended up leaving early and going to play in the CBA. This includes UC Berkeley's Max Zhang and USF's Xu Tao.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Dude reminds me of a Marc Gasol.

17. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

This video has more highlights

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YPhexXmkyVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. mig0s

mig0s Member

This Chinese Yao ming is way better than the Indian Yao Ming Sim Bhullar. Not even comparable lol

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Zhou Qi is widely regarded as the next superstar from China since years ago. He needs more strength, but he has similar standing reach as Yao and models his game after Durant. It's not hard to see why in his top 4 plays from the video.

20. VanityHalfBlack

Go Pearland, yeah!!!!