1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

zhang ziyi, Gong li, Michelle Yeoh in Memoirs of a geisha, anyone offended by this??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xenochimera, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm American, where's more pictures of hot asian actresses!

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is as racist and bigoted as the original post everyone was exercised about. Get a grip, buddy. Racial slurs are something not tolerated anywhere on the BBS. Just because this is D&D doesn't mean they are tolerated here, either.

Go drink some hot chocolate, or whatever, and calm down.

You are not being much of a "liberal" here. You are being a racist, plain and simple, and we simply won't put up with it from anyone. You can be as racist and bigoted as much as you like, but you, and others, can just keep that crap off the board. Don't like the Japanese? No one is stopping you from saying that. You don't need to use racist slurs to articulate whatever point you are trying to make. You, or anyone else.

In my opinion. Fair warning.

Keep D&D Civil.

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Your selective righteousness never seizes to amaze me. As far as I am concerned, your *tolerance* of the racist comments on China from that SOB aries323 speaks volumes about your own deeply rooted, subconscious racism towards Chinese/China, expressively using racist slurs or not.

No, I am not attempting to articulate any points with that SOB, a worthless low life who whines about overwork, has trouble getting along with his co-workers, and only finds solace in prostitution. I've seen enough of his posts disparaging Chinese/China purely out of racist objectives. That little label I used on him is most appropriate.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Glad to see such an "adult" response.

Keep D&D Civil.

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

China sucks.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Better make sure your sarcasm is understood. The **** may hit the fan. :)

Keep D&D Civil.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

who f*cking cares?

some of you guys come off as overly sensitive pu$$ies. get over it.

there.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are an odd fellow. You think aries was being racist by saying China is a big country? Then Deckard is also racist because he didn't chastise aries for that? As I said, odd.

Just so you don't think I am racist - China is a really, really small country. I think it must be smaller than Houston.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Hey wnes,

I didn't like you before I knew you were Chinese and guess what? I still don't like you. Guess I am a racist. :rolleyes: :p

10. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Wow, you losers are taking yourselves way too seriously here. Unbunch your panties and take it easy. At least now I know I can take it up a notch in my next bbs pissing match.

11. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Oh darn, I thought everyone would let this thread die.....I guess not.

12. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

someone posted that there are Jewish actors portaying Nazis and what not, consider this, the Jews were compensated, and Germany apologized for its pasts. Japan?? not only have it not compensated or apologized(sincerly), their prime ministers actually still worship/respect war criminals, yeah way to make friends in Asia. You can say "oh yeah xeno is f---ing chink thats why he is all riled up about this" perhaps my judgements were clouded by "communist teachings" regardless, the korea(s), most south east asian countries, even Taiwan (which i supports its independence) are against Japan being not able to live up to its past, white washing its atrocities, and aries if you deny that any of these atrocities ever occured i can only question the intelligence of that country. chinese whores in tokyo?? where man, i was in tokyo, for a week actually, there are no chinese whores there, there were sure lots of japanese sluts where the USS Kitty Hawk was stationed. anyways i am over this, might be even a good movie.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

like watching a train wreck in bullet time...

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Jesus, give it a rest, dude - seriously.

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I've only read the last two pages of this thread and I feel that everyone needs to take a step back here. I'm ethnically Chinese and I'm well aware of the history between China and Japan and what happened in WWII. I personally think Japan and its goverment need to own up to what happened and stop worshipping war criminals. That said I totally agree that some of the Chinese posters here are way over reacting. This is a movie and not a political commentary. Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi are actresses portraying roles and are cast not because they are Chinese but because they are well known good actresses and Hollywood likes casting well known actresses. If there had been Japanese actresses of similar stature known to American audiences they might've been casts. Chinese actresses have played Japanese in both American and Hong Kong movies and Japanese have played Chinese. The ethnically Japanese actor George Takei did the voice for the Emperor of China in Mulan and the Chinese actors Lucy Liu and Gordon Liu played Japanese characters in Kill Bill.

FYI Here's a link from Hong Kong MovieWorld talking about how even with the history between Japan and China actors from both countries are accepted playing movies and all kinds of roles in both countries.

http://simonyam.com/hkmw/

I agree that the Japanese government and a lot of Japanese society need to address what they did during WWII as much as the German government has over the Holocaust, that said it strikes me as paranoia and prejudice to get so worked up about this.

At the same time though I also think many of you getting on Wnes, Xenochimera and some of the other Chinese posters should lighten up some too. I agree they're out of line but some of your responses are out of line too. There is a reason why Chinese are sensitive about such issues and anyone who knows the history would understand why. Comments like "Chinese hoz in Tokyo" aren't helpful.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Man, who would have thought I'd be adding people to my ignore list in a movie thread?

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

this thread is ridiculous...

xenochimerawammalammadingdong

just be glad that asian actresses are ACTUALLY getting starring roles instead of being another 'asian girl' in the ending credits.

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I couldn't said it better than what Sishir did. If wanna lament on atrocities and such of Japan, do it in another thread, where the minister visits the memorial and what not. It's a movie, let it go.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a lot of the rage and unrest among mostly younger people in China scares me. I don't want another situation like the cultural revolution where a group of young people decides they are owned something in the world decides they've being wrong their whole lives and turn the country upside down. The last thing China needs right now any more unrest and war, I have family there, don't need things to go bonkers again.

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Thanks Wizkid and I thought your last posts was excellent as well. I'm less worried about another Cultural Revolution happening in China again. While yes the youth and other Chinese are getting riled up every now and then on nationalistic issues but I think most Chinese understand how valuable economic development and trade are and won't go back to the social and economic upheaval of the Cultural Revolution / Great Leap Forward.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Man, and I thought this thread was going to be about some Japanese upset that Japanese roles went to Chinese actors. I didn't know the Sino-Nippon smackdown went so far as to bar chinese from even playing japanse in the movies - I mean I would have taken it as a point of pride in the ongoing rivalry - "yeah you japanese we play you better than yourselves ha ha!"

Interestingly, I've experienced over the last few months, that while most asians (like americans) think japanese are kind of weird, none of them seem to be quite as pissed off about them as we're lead to believe - particularly younger, urban mainland chinese that I've talked to don't seem to bear any special animosity and generally don't care about the past that much. Of course it's hard to recocile that with the anti japanese sentiment we often hear about, so it's kind of confusing. Maybe I was just talking to the wrong people.