1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

zhang ziyi, Gong li, Michelle Yeoh in Memoirs of a geisha, anyone offended by this??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xenochimera, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

yeah so this might be old but whatever umm i saw this on a chinese site that my parents visit, and now i am ****ing pissed that they actually accepted roles for this movie. oh sure call me a racist whatever, that son of a b**** Spielberg actually decided to use Chinese women, and portray them as exotic sex idols in a Jap movie!! and decided to use Gong li as some b**** mistress who mistreats those below her. the implication goes beyond the big screen, a jap story that uses chinese women?? but with a jap actor(Watabe) as the main male actor?!?!?! man if i were any of the actresses, i wouldnt have accpeted this role at all, they have all the fame and money that they need and now they are practically degrading themselves. yes i know they are not prostitutes, but they are pretty damn close to being prostitutes. how pissed would african americans be if they used say i dont know some purto rican dude to play ray charles...wait thats not even a fair comparison, say they used gee uhhh tom hank to play hmmmmm say bin laden!!, common cant they just find some jap chicks to do this movie?? i am so bootlegging this movie and selling it!!!!

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

D&D in 3...2...1...

3. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

if it's going to be a race/ethnic discussion, maybe you should've posted in D&D?

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Xeno,

Your post is garbage and unreadable - look into paragraphs (don't tell me you've been hitting the vodka again :p ).

Anyway, this thread got my attention because of Zhang Ziyi. That is one fine woman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:drools

5. Xenochimera

guys im trying to be serious, no alcohol/drugs involved here. guess ill post this in the discussion as well.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Actually, X, my first impression was that, hey, Michelle Yeoh is a Chinese woman portraying a Japanese woman, and that's wrong.

I'm not Asian. I'm white. But I get over the fact that Hugh Jackman plays a Canadian Superhero on an American Superhero team. Or that Nicole Kidman constantly plays an American. Or that Mel Gibson is an American.

Bottom line is that if Michelle Yeoh does well...and this is to my incredibly scrutinizing eye...I am all for it. It's called acting for a reason, my friend. Race has nothing to do with how well you can portray a role.

X

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

This has been happening forever in American movies doing MEXICAN stories.

Antonio Banderas is a SPANIARD, you hollypoop f*cks... not MEXICAN... why put him in HBO's "Pancho Villa", "ZORRO" movies and "DESPERADO"??? :mad: I hear you, man... I feel you, brother...

The only time I saw this being O.K. was Pedro Armendariz in Tombstone (Mexican priest) and Antonio Reyna (Anthony Queen) in A Walk In The Clouds.

Julieta Rosen is a HOTTIE in the first ZORRO. :p man, is she hot.

8. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

How often in war movies are British actors playing German and Russian roles? Dude, it's work.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

"We like to run sneak plays, or what we call 'Jap plays,' no offense to the Orientals..."

Sincerely,

Bill Parcells

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

How come in the new series ROME they all have british accents?

WHO THE HECK CARES !! IT IS ONLY ENTERTAINMENT.

SHEESH !!

DD

11. whats up

whats up Contributing Member

"Jap" is a racial slur! Don't abbreviate it for Japanese or Japan! If you're not talking about Jewish American Princess, don't use it...

Yea, screw the movie! It's a movie made for non-Asians, so it wouldn't matter to them that the main actresses don't speak/understand a lick of Japanese. Besides, non-Asians think all Asians look alike. It would look almost as silly as many western movies where Native American and Mexican characters are played by White people.

12. Xenochimera

yes but the treatment by the japanese of chinese and korean women during world war 2 are stirred up by this movie, like i said, it goes beyound the big screen.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I guess it's like a Jewish actor playing an Arab in a movie, or an Arab actor playing a Jewish person.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Both of which shouldn't matter....people need to get over it...

We have WAY more important things to worry about...go donate to a charity or something....

SHEESH !

DD

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It would look almost as silly as many western movies where Native American and Mexican characters are played by White people.

Don't watch Bonanza reruns. I warned you.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Spielberg is like Jordan his last year w/ the Wizards....he's lost it man..

17. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I have seen her in real life, she is really not that pretty. Don't believe the photos, You know those photographers can do some amazing things with their camera.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

xeno,

i know exactly how you feel. i was appalled when the wayans brothers casted themselves as 2 white chicks. the backlash in the caucasian community was overwhelming.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Wouldn't a geisha movie be more appealing to Westerners if all the sluts were played by slant eyed Suzy's?

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

When Brad Pitt played an Irish Gypsy in Snatch I was so offended!

! OMG !