1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zeller, Noel, Gobert or Austin?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sydmill, Sep 27, 2012.

?

Who do you like most?

1. Cody Zeller

31 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Nerlens Noel

46 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Rudy Gobert

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Isaiah Austin

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Assuming this is our roster at the time of the 2013 draft, and assuming that we intend on keeping the roster together moving forward, I see us as looking hard at centers given the talent available and our chances of either getting a high pick (top 5) or parlaying the Tor pick for a top 3, who do you like?

1: Lin/Machado:
    2: Lamb:
    3: Parson/Jones
    4: Motiejunas/White
    5: Asik

A lot is yet to be determined as our guys have yet to log a minute in the NBA and several of the draft eligible players haven't played an NCAA game, but here is my estimate of the 2013 rooks:
    Zeller: anti-Dwight Howard. Lot of skill with limited athleticism but has the height and bulk to be a contributor right away. Can run the offense through him in the post and has the ability to be disruptive on D.
    Noel: limited offensively but has the athleticism and length to be disruptive force in the paint. Like Anthony Davis he will need to add a lot of bulk to his frame before banging down low.
    Gobbert: Looooong but a stick figure. Seems to be pretty mobile and that length is going to allow him to contest shots on th perimeter and in the post. Not sure about the comp he has faced in France but a very intriguing prospect.
    Austin: similar body to Noel but maybe more of an offensive game. More perimeter oriented despite his classification on offense but similar opportunity at being a force on D. Will play at Balor.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Too many variables to care right now, really, as it relates to the Rockets at least.

If you want to just compare 4 potential center prospects... well I don't have much to say there, either, other than Gobbert scares me, and Austin seems like much more of a work in progress than Noel.

I'd rate them as follows based on potential upside:

1. Noel
    2. Zeller
    3. Austin
    4. Gobbert

If less concerned about upside and more about immediate impact, you can switch Noel and Zeller.

But this is all from someone with very limited knowledge of any of them. some, but limited.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Zeller first. Then Gobert, Noels, and Austin.

4. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

2014 Draft Class will be loaded

2013 is meh

5. Raven

Raven Member

Take the player with highest upside, regardless of position, and regardless of risk.

6. jvu

jvu Member

Take Noel Bcuz he has the coolest hairdos

7. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

8. MONON

MONON Member

The Zellers have a history for 4 years of college, so I doubt Cody will come out for next ear's draft. I went with Noel. However, I don't think we'll be drafting high enough any of them.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Neither of Cody Zeller's brothers weren't regarded as elite prospects.

If the opportunity to go top 5, let alone #1, is there, I bet he'll leave college for the pro's in a second.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Yup. Perry Jones and Jared Sullinger made the mistake of staying too long. They lost millions of potential dollars because of it.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Whoever weighs the most.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

The 6'9 one.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Noel with Zeller as a very close second.

I just want a defensive stopper at C.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Noel because his name is Nerlens.

NERLENS! (similar to New Orleans)

NERLINS

also he brings my childhood memories to life!

[​IMG]

15. awc713

awc713 Member

I go to Indiana, so I'm pretty biased on us taking Zeller. With that said, we should definately grab him and not think twice if given the chance. Noel right now is unproven, just as Drummond was going into his freshman year.

Zeller has a great attitude, great work ethic, is smart, big, getting stronger, and is fast. Houston will fall in love with his game if we get a chance to nab him.

I thought he would stay at IU for three years, but I think he's gone after this year. I mean, you can't turn down a top 3 selection, which is what he will be. He will dominate college this year.

He can board hard, he can run the floor, really smart all around player. Really hope we can get him. I'd take him #1 overall, over Shabazz. Zeller will make Dwight look silly one day. Im calling it. Hes going to be that good.

16. jvu

jvu Member

Funny thing about Noel is he can accumulates 5+ blocks. 2 blocks per arm and 1 block a game with his hair!

17. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

18. macho87

macho87 Member

What's up with austin's eye?

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

His college stats suggest he needs to improve in this area, actually. Even considering you get less boards in college. A college player who can board hard would be someone like Anthony Davis, who played a little bit more each game, but grabbed over 10 boards per to Zellers 6.6 per game. With much better talent around him to compete for rebounds.

Zeller in his prime will never be the all around complete, at times fully dominant player that Dwight is at his best.

20. Sen89

Sen89 Member

1a. Nerlens Noel - He won't be a great offensive player, and will need some time to develop (physically and mentally), but the defensive potential makes him close to a can't-miss prospect.

1b. Steven Adams - Has the best 2-way potential in my opinion. Took down every top C he faced head-to-head, including Noel. Still very raw, and probably will wait a year before declaring.

3. Cody Zeller - May go the highest, and has great offensive tools, but looks to be Brook Lopez-type in the pros, to me.

4. Rudy Gobert - Incredible physical tools (7-9 wingspan), and moves well, but has a long way to go otherwise. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at him.

5. Isaiah Austin - His motor is too low, and he's simply too soft to ever make use of his size + skill combination. Will likely be a stretch-big.