1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zelda: A link to the past vs Ocarina of time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BonziWellsGOAT, Apr 28, 2014.

?

Which one do you think is better

Poll closed May 12, 2014.
  1. A Link to the Past

25 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Ocarina of Time

54 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm very tempted to hack mine. For now, I'm just using emulators on my PC (though I do buy games on Virtual Console, but so many classic games are MIA).

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I've wanted to hack mine but never bother with the system anymore nor bothered to look up how to. Mostly for Wii games though. Care to share how?

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Very easy to do, and you can put every SNES game ever made on a 4GB SD card.

There is even a guy out there who retrofits original NES and SNES controllers to plug into WiiMotes. http://infiniteneslives.com/products.php

Personally, I just use the Wii Classic controller and it serves fine.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

http://lifehacker.com/5830367/how-to-hack-your-wii-for-homebrew-in-five-minutes

From there its just finding the right torrents with retro games.

Wii ISOs are pretty simple to run. You have to get an external HDD, format it to a file system called WBFS (There is software for this) and then convert the ISOs to WBFS files and add them to the external drive. From there you run them off your Wii using a USB loader program.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Skyward Sword was a pretty amazing Zelda game. If it's one thing you can count on Nintendo to get right, it's Zelda games.

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Played them both and prefer LTTP by a fairly wide margin.

7. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Honestly, every Zelda game I've played has been an enjoyment. There are far too many that I've only played a little and never to the end though. LTTP and OoT are actually the only 2 that I've completed.

8. BonziWellsGOAT

The reason I listed those particular two is because they are the only ones I've played the entirety of the game

9. ludicraze

ludicraze Member

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

This is a cop-out answer, but I think they are almost identical in terms of achievements in the history of game development. LTTP blew my mind just as much as OOT did. OOT always seems to have the edge because of the 3D factor though. It's like comparing albums from a legendary band. Sure Album Y may have been more technically proficient than Album X, but without Album X, Album Y would never have existed. Plus Album X has a little more of that organic, garage charm to it. OOT also benefits from being the true genesis tale, whereas LTTP was just another link in a long chain. Not to mention OOT got a 5 year development lifecycle, whereas LTTP had only 4.

tl;dr - While OOT is the technically better game (better story, more content, etc) when viewed in context, LTTP and OOT stand as equally significant achievements in gaming history.

11. YourSecretLover

Loved OOT and Lttp! After MM, zelda games have gone downhill which was probably to be expected.

12. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Completely disagree

13. YourSecretLover

I completely disagree with this statement

14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Never did find myself playing the LoZ series until recently playing them on emulators. My favorite is probably Ocarina of Time.

15. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

Ocarina of Time for me. That game at the time, broke boundaries on how I thought I could enjoy a Zelda games. Sweet memories...

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Love them both, but Ocarina is my favorite game ever. I've never had a more magical experience playing a video game than I did playing OoT in '98. The music, the 3D visuals, the story. Just an amazing journey for me.

17. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Played both with similar frame of reference - several years after the initial release when the state of the art had moved on to the next generation. From that perspective, I still had a ton of fun with LTTP and finished it, but OOT felt decidedly meh (I never finished it). I wonder how much of people's fond memories of OOT are from the wow factor.

Metal Gear Solid felt like a far, far greater leap from 2D to 3D than LTTP to OOT.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What about Windwaker?

DD

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Wind Waker is my number 2 behind OoT. Amazing game.

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I bought a 3ds because I never had an opportunity to play OoT, and portable gaming is easier to fit in schedules. I don't even remember if I got past the first dungeon.

Link to the past I can still play from start to finish out of memory. It was simple, you're given a lantern and told to go straight to the castle. In OoT, they throw you in a village where you have to talk to everyone to get an idea of what to do.

Maybe because I played through LttP at an age where I immersed better.