1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zaza Pachulia to Warriors (One year, $2.9M)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I was thinking the same. Could at least copped that $12 million by coming to Houston.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I can't really get over this deal... This guy took $10 million + short for a non-guaranteed championship.. Amazing heart and true sacrifice given the state of affairs around the world.

3. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Non US people are more inclined towards competitive goals over money goals. especially when they are already set for life like Zaza is.

I don't want to instigate anything, just stating how much more important money is here. Just look at this year's Euro...outsiders like Iceland or Wales would never make it that far if we translate it to NBA, as they wouldn't reach high TV ratings.

4. dback816

dback816 Member

Why are you comparing the NBA to National teams? That's nonsensical

5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Because TV ratings, merchandise, tickets etc. work the same way for national teams as they do for "private" teams. It just shows how money is much more important than other things for US players in NBA. I don't say it in derogatory sense. It makes sense of course, as NBA is business first and discounts like Zaza's are exception to the rule (notice how Dirk, Tony, D. Green, Duncan, Ginobili...all took paycuts for the team. Only Barkley as a US citizen comes to mind when talking about paycut, but there are surely more).

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's ridiculous.

Out: Bogut, Ezeli, Barnes
    In: Durant, Zaza, 2nd round pick

Also, I didn't know the vet minimum was that low at this point. Stinks to high heaven about an understanding under the table, *and* it makes no sense for Cuban. Bogut is basically done beyond his 15 mpg. I just don't get this whole thing for Cuban. Maxing out a non-max player, and then essentially giving the Warriors Zaza and a pick.

7. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

I believe his career earnings are over $50 million. He can afford to play for cheap for one year. I am surprised more players don't do this.

8. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Even if they would like to, they are probably sick of the owners who are trying to take as much money from them as possible in each CBA negotiations. Also whenever a player takes a discout, owners win.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Zaza Pachulia allowed a 52.2 FG pct when defending the rim last season (Andrew Bogut - 45.2%)</p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/750125253205032960">July 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

In this environment , he could have easily gotten $20m for 2 years, maybe more. It is no joke even for a guy who made $50m so far.

11. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

This is huge for them. They still need one more center. ZaZa is only good for like 20 mins a game.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't think Cuban thought Durant was going to GS. I read Cuban's move more as if you want to retain Barnes, it's going to cost you AND you better court Durant ASAP Because the RFA clock is ticking now that we have made an offer....only in the end the Warriors don't want to retain Barnes so now Cuban is stuck with him at the max which would have worked out for Cuban if Barnes was leaving GS and they had no replacement(essentially weakening GS). When they replaced him with Durant, they became stronger and Dallas just looks like it overpaid.

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that is about what he has earned and zaza isn't poor or anything, but this guy had a better season than mozgov and is only 2 and a half years older. this guy could probably get 3 yrs/45M or 2 yrs/35M if his age was a concern. as of now, he's getting 3M and, given his age, might not be able to cash in again if he starts to fall of this season. it's one thing for david west to take a 10M paycut at age 35 after making 87M because he literally might retire now and he might have thought it was his last chance to win, but a possible 40M paycut at age 33 after 50M in career earnings? just to be the 7th or 8th best guy on a title team? i'm all for wanting to win, but i'm also all for doubling my career earnings if i'm only going to be a small part of that winning.

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

only after the players' union votes to apply next year's cap raise to this year's cap for teams from california whose team name starts with W.

#54 francis 4 prez, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

It's ok fam.

16. calcium

calcium Member

Well well well.

17. Lovemachine2000

Zaza averaged 26 minutes per game last season, and he was dominating the boards on many occasions. There is no reason they can't play small with Green at center and Durant at 4, or have David West play the center for 10-15 minutes a game. The GS roster is pretty much set, although another big man for depth would be nice.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

No they don't. In today's league you can get away with Green as your center because of his skill set and then there's guys like Durant that can snatch or block from the weak side occasionally to help out.

19. dchoye

dchoye Member

Its not fair.
    Got superstars like KD who gets the same max offer from any team so he picks the GSW where he can win a NBA championship
    Got good bench players coming to GSW for cheap one year contracts and willing work hard to market themselves for next year to try to get a Barnes like contract.

20. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Sure but look at the first and second half season splits. 30 mins first half, 20 mins second half, he became increasingly ineffective as the year wore on.