1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zack Lowe Piece on Pelicans and why I think Asik to New Orleans is inevitable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Should the Rockets trade Asik to Pelicans for Anderson?

1. NO

145 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Yes

46 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Yes, but only if they get more than just Anderson.

175 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

But your argument doesnt make sense though because Asik as backup with DMo as pf is better than Anderson at pf and DMo as backup centers. In terms of player value Asik is worth more than Anderson or any non franchise pf we can get.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Nerlens Noel is in Philly, Robin Lopez is in Portland

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Noel got traded to Philly in the Jrue Holiday trade. Lopez got traded to Portland in the 3-team Tyreke Evans S&T.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

People really think a trade package with Asik as the main peice can get Alridge? Really? Blazers won't get any better offers? Lol

1 person likes this.
  5. hoplite

hoplite Member

1. I tend to agree with most of your statement, however, I don't think the value of his contract should be underestimated. Also, while a package may be centered around Asik, we still can include numerous draft picks for a deep draft - although they will likely be higher picks.

2. Howard is not horrible offensively!! Check out his percentages, mentioned in another forum. He's only horrible a facing up; he has a great touch around the rim, however.

3. I agree we need someone LIKE him, but not him. Not at that contract for what he brings. I think it's too premature to enter into a trade, teams are under the impression that we HAVE to trade away Asik. I say wait until a team gets ready to blow it up, then we consider trading him away.

6. Aleron

oddly enough, probably not much more, no one is willing to part with much.

Take Chicago for example, they don't want to give up Noah or Butler, so there's not much left there (Boozer? lol), and none of the rebuilding teams are going to take a rental.

7. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

Agree completely. It would take Asik and Parsons to even get the Blazers to consider calling back, and even that would be a long shot. I realize this is a message board and many people here will overvalue our assets while undervaluing those of other teams, but let's get a few things clear.

Assuming Harden and Howard aren't going anywhere:

- We don't have the chips to trade for Aldridge.
    - Ditto Love
    - And Cousins
    - And a number of other guys that aren't likely to be traded in the first place.

- Ryan Anderson is also going to fetch more than just Asik in a trade. The notion that NO would give him and something else for Asik is insane. Defense is important, but you win games by putting the ball through the hoop. Offense will always >>>> Defense. Anderson is the premier "stretch 4" in the league and a capable rebounder considering how far from the hoop he normally works. He isn't getting traded for a rim defender particularly when last year's #1 pick is supposed to develop in to that role sooner rather than later.

8. rocketseagles07

This is what I'm talking about. If people think it can happen based off of the blazers being desperate thats one thing. But for fans to really say a package centering around asik would be a GOOD deal for the blazers is comical. I love asik's game and think he will be a great addition to any team. But some of y'all overrate him and his value

9. Aleron

You are never going to get a good deal trading a star player at the tail of his contract, NO got what? the 6th or 7th best sg in the league and some crap for Chris Paul? Allowed them to suck enough to win the lottery though.

10. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

The Pelicans don't have Noel or Lopez -- Lopez was traded to Portland and Noel was traded to the 76rs for Holiday.

Davis is not capable physically of playing Center yet, and he has a really solid mid range shot -- so he is sort of perfect at the 4. The Zach Lowe piece has quotes from the team to this effect, and stating they would start Jason Smith instead of starting Anderson and Davis together.

I agree with all these points. The poll tells me there is a lot of others who do as well, but the posts in the thread do seem to overrate Asik and underrate Anderson. Anderson is not terrible on defense (he is better on defense than Asik is on offense).

I will say this -- I am not against waiting and seeing to start the season. This is a championship caliber roster that needs a legit power forward -- but you can't lose a playoff series in November. No reason not to see if Howard and Asik can play together OR if DMo or Jones are ready to take the position over. If one of those guys REALLY shines, then maybe you don't need to trade Asik, or maybe you can trade him for a future lottery pick and a veteran to replace him or maybe we could really flip Asik and a break out young power forward for Aldridge. I do like the idea of waiting.

But still -- I think this trade happens for Anderson...and I like that too. The Steisma signing does not change the inevitability of Asik to the Pelicans. It might just mean their backup center (Jason Smith) is part of the trade package for Asik.

11. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Anderson would be a perfect fit

12. HamJam

You can't trade Asik to a team that is "blowing it up". Asik has such a positive effect on a team that he stunts rebuilding plans centered around getting worse.

You have to trade him to a team with good parts that needs a center and is desperate to win now. There are not a lot of teams like that who don't already have a decent center. In fact, the only one I can think of is the Pelicans.

If New Orleans is not offering the right package, then I agree, don't force a trade. They should be desperate for Asik though. They should be willing to put together a fair package Morey will be happy to accept. Once they do that, this trade will happen.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Kevin Martin landed Harden. Just saying.

Do I think Asik could land LA? Probably not, but you never know what else would be included in a possible deal. You also have the chance on the deal having another team involved that may sweeten the offer.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

As others have stated before, I'm into the idea of starting Chandler Parsons at the 4. He has the size, stroke, and defensive tenacity (if not the size/weight) to do it and the leage is increasingly shrinking the 4 in order to create space.

Alot of times, people think about a roster in terms of who starts at the 1 - 5 and who backs them up at the 1 - 5. It's not really how a game situation unfolds, though. There is typically an 8 - 9 man rotation that sometimes shrinks to (almost) a 7 man rotation in the playoffs. I would assume our starting lineup would be something like this:

1 - Lin
    2 - Harden
    3 - Garcia
    4 - Parsons
    5 - Howard

Our four additional "rotation players" off the bench would be Beverly, Asik, Casspi, and one of Donuts/Jones/Smith (with one of the last three guys playing more spot minutes than significant minutes). With this rotation, you'd see Beverly play point with Lin in the backcourt and Harden playing long stretches at the three. When you give spot minutes to one of the three PF's, Parsons could slide back to the three or you could even go big with Harden playing the point, Garcia and Parsons on the wings, and some combo of Jones/Howard/Asik in the post.

If we do try this option, though, I think we need to relegate Garcia or Casspi to 10th man (as he Garcia was during the regular season), and find a true "3 & D" wing to play ahead of one of them.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Pelicans renounced Xaiver Henry's rights. Morey should replace James Anderson with him.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think parsons gives us all we need as a stretch 4 or a big 3. what we don't have is a big 4 for defense. if we move asik it will be for a guy who can rebound and defend the paint from the 4 and backup dwight at the 5.

17. HamJam

But Parsons is the team's best perimeter defender at the 2 and the 3. Why would you put him at the four, where he would be at a defensive disadvantage, and, at the same time, place a less qualified defender on one of the opposing team's SG or SF?

18. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Asik for Lemarcus is perfect for both teams.Both are solid big men.Lemarcus would make the Rockets elite..GAME OVER

19. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Hello Mr. Overvaluing. Asik was good last year and is better than his contract, but come on... LaMarcus Aldridge?

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Great post. Completely agree with everything you said. Asik is worth more as a player and expiring contract in 2015 than he is as trade bait for a tier 2 or 3PF.

VERY happy that Morey is holding onto Asik. It's very possible that at the 2015 trade deadline (2014 seems unrealistic to me) Portland thinks to themselves, "LMA is going to leave us and is likely going to Houston, so why don't we get something in return?". Boom. Asik (expiring and Bird rights), one of TJones or DMo (one of which will likely develop into a quality starter by then), and a few picks gets us the best PF in the biz. The reason this works is because Houston can realistically sign LMA outright in the 2015 offseason, so the threat to Portland is real.

If it were the playout like this, Houston would have the following situation in 2015:

Under Contract
    Howard
    Harden

Team Option
    DMo OR TJones

Bird Rights
    LMA
    Parsons
    Lin
    Beverley
    Canaan

What an amazing place to be in for the Rockets. Perfectly constructed roster both from a player and cap management perspective.

If for some reason Portland refuses to trade LMA, then the Rockets simply waive their rights to Asik and Lin, while trading either DMo or TJones for a draft pick to clear up the necessary space to sign LMA outright. Only problem with this is we lose our Mid-Level Exception again, and have to find backups with the Room Exception and Vet Minimum contracts.

So Scenario 1 (Trade in 2015) leaves us with a potential 2015-2016 roster of:

Lin / Beverley / Canaan
    Harden / ?
    Parsons / ?
    Aldridge / DMo or TJones
    Dwight / Aldridge

Under scenario 2 (Sign LMA in free agency)...

Beverley / Canaan
    Harden / ?
    Parsons / ?
    Aldridge / ?
    Howard / Aldridge

I'm confident Morey can find the right free agents at cheap contracts to surround Harden, Parsons, Aldridge, and Howard.

My ONLY reservation is: how much is Les willing to spend? Morey has all of his "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed from a cap management perspective. But in 2015, the Rockets will likely have $64 million tied up in Dwight, Aldridge, Harden and Parsons (assuming Parsons signs a deal for $9-10 million per year). How much will Les pay to keep this group together?