1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zack Lowe Piece on Pelicans and why I think Asik to New Orleans is inevitable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Jul 9, 2013.

?

Should the Rockets trade Asik to Pelicans for Anderson?

1. NO

145 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Yes

46 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Yes, but only if they get more than just Anderson.

175 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Do you know Aldridge's PER whilst playing center is over 27? He is incredibly good at destroying back up centers in spot minutes there, that's who the backup center would be....

That's why he's probably a better fit than Love who is actually the better PF, but doesn't have the low block skills to play C in the type of offense we'd run, it would maintain the spacing for all 48 minutes, and force teams to defend inside and open spacing the entire game, you'd run them on rotations like both in 4 mins, Aldridge out 4, then Dwight out 4, etc, you'd need to find 32 minutes at the pf of small ball, that can be tightened up into 20-24 in the playoffs.

Not only is Anderson overpaid for what he is, but his contract goes 1 year too long (as we're currently set to have Harden, Howard, Beverley, Parsons, Jones and Dmo on the books when Aldridge and Love become free agents).

So Asik leads to more wins, especially whenever Dwight misses games, Asik is a better trade asset, and Asik's salary comes off the books when the main targets are free agents.....

#121 Aleron, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  2. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I'd rather keep Asik.

3. pass_to_Hakeem

I'm sorry but I don't see DMo backing up Howard at the 5. He isn't even strong enough to play the 4 yet

4. pass_to_Hakeem

^ Centers like Marc Gasol and DeAndre Jordan would eat DMo's little animal crackers down in the paint!!

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Asik is worth a big piece..

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

That is speculation. Gerson Rossas says he is up to 259 pounds and has been working the weights. D-Mo may be a lot stronger than you think. We'll see in training camp.

7. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

Agreed... I like Anderson and think he's a good fit, and but like some others have said... I think K some of us are under valuing asik... Without making a list, I don't think he's a top 3 or 5 center... I'd say closer to the 5-8 range... Which, on $8.3M for the next two, is as good it it gets outside of a rook contract.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Hearing Pelicans have moved into pole position to land freshly minted free-agent center Greg Stiemsma. More than 10 teams interested</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/354972350581706752">July 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's still not a center and will never be one. He is a PF. People need to get the center mirage out of their heads.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Those are two very different centers.

While Gasol would undoubtedly dominate DMo if they were going one-on-one, I wouldn't say the same for DeAndre, who has no offensive game outside of putbacks and dunks.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Anderson runs through 2015-16. I'm sure Morey could dump him if needed but I would prefer to not take back any contracts that run past 2015.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it sounds like they are not interested in paying Asik's asking price. That just means that Morey isn't gonna take 50 cents on the dollar for one of the league's better centers.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yao Ming's backup center in his later years, contrary to popular belief, were Hayes and then Scola. Adelman really only played Mutumbo as a starter when Yao was hurt. But when Yao played, the Rockets went small during his breaks. The idea of needing a true backup center is obsolete in today's NBA. It's better to have a better player than a stiff "center."

If DMo can simply guard PFs properly, then he can be a backup center. The problem with having DMo as Howard's backup isn't that he's not a true center, but because his defense so far sucks horribly.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Announcement from agent Mark Bartelstein confirms that free-agent center Greg Stiemsma is signing with Pelicans</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/354981691644854273">July 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania about 23 minutes ago
    Greg Stiemsma will sign a one-year, $2.7 million deal with the Pelicans, agent Mark Bartelstein says.

16. Solaris

Solaris Member

I say keep Asik for now just to see if he developed his 'hands' and jump shots during the off season.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. Some posters complain Asik is being undervalued, but I think there's also a danger of overvaluing him. He's a good defender and he has a good contract, but he's extremely limited on offense which is a big liability. He's probably worth more than Anderson, but people thinking you can land a big fish (Aldridge or Love) with a package centered on Asik are dreaming.

2. We love our twin towers in Houston, but Asik/Howard is a very bad combination. Neither are very gifted offensively (though Howard is better than Asik at least), neither can shoot at range to give the other space in the low post, and neither can guard a stretch 4. They don't complement one another. It's probably better to lose a trade this time to get a better fit than to hold out with this bad fit to get full value on a trade.

3. Anderson is a good fit because he has the range to pull defenders out of the lane for Howard and for Harden. And has enough mobility to guard guys on the perimeter while Howard patrols the paint. If not him, we need someone like him.

18. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Agree with point 1. But point 2 and 3 are horrible...why would Morey come to terms to lose on a trade? Morey doesn't have to trade Asik anytime soon.

Point 3. Everybody is saying Anderson is a good fit because he can shoot but he cannot play defense at all. You saying he has enough mobility to guard guys on the perimeter shows you have not watched him play that much before. Anderson is a horrible defender and an ok rebounder. Overall he is not a good fit for this team. There's two parts of basketball Offense and Defense. The Rockets did good on offense last year they need defense this year. Don't put Dwight on a island on D simply because Anderson can shoot 3's on O.

19. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Wait, why would they want Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Robin Lopez and Omer Asik? Davis may be undersized, but he is going to play center this season and probably be top 10 in rebounding. Same with D12, the very reason he wants out of Houston in the first place. Omer wants to start and play a big role.

20. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

DMo? He's got an entire summer to work on that mobility. The shot is already there, he just needs confidence. I just don't think Ryan Anderson is the guy to put us into 60 win territory. DMo isn't ready yet either, but I'd rather get maximum value for Osik.