1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Randolph an upgrade over Jones & Dmo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by asianballa23, Nov 9, 2015.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I just don't see Memphis trading him to Houston. Whether he fits our style may be a moot point.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree. He's better than our current PF's. I would definitely go all in and take him.

Not sure if it's actually possible for us to trade for him though given his salary.

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Yea except that doesn't work salary wise now does it? It takes two parties to make a trade. Glad you aren't the GM of the rockets; you would have overturned the whole roster already.

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

srs more cfans dont wanna give dmo a chance now. jsut be patient ffs. there's plenty of time to trade. how can you pass up an oppurtunity of an elite twin tower lineup? JUST WAIT! barely 7 games into the season

5. delishman

delishman Member

Can't see why the Grizz would trade him. If they want TBird+BrewDog+Filler meats also found in hot dogs..

Take him!

6. rockets13champs

Lets pray the grizzlies play so bad they buyout his contract

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I like the idea of some frontcourt insurance. With Dwight missing B2B's (not to mention extremely foul prone) plus the revolving door of PF's that we have used or plan on using, the idea of having somebody established that can give you 82 games is very appealing.

The problem, as others have mentioned, is fit. I don't see how he could play next to Dwight. It would be a spacing nightmare. In our system, he would be best utilized as a small ball 5...but would he be willing to accept a bench role? Probably not.

Either way, truth be told: at $9.5M he's an incredible bargain for what he's capable of.

8. benchmoochie

$9.5 isn't bad. but I doubt they would accept corey brewer and (insert name)

9. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

I don't think the Rockets could match his salary unless they unload several players. I would love to see the Rockets dump any combination of Jones, Brewer, and McDaniels but I doubt it happens; however, I'd much rather see Lawson or Beverely traded for Rubio, who seems to be playing really well after struggling for several years to adapt to the NBA game.

It's just my opinion, but the Rockets need to shed players that can't hit the perimeter shots, and surround Harden with shooters. Easier said than done but Rubio is shooting much better than Lawson or Beverely right now, and he can also distribute the ball.

Again, the Rockets needs shooters to compete for the West. Brewer is valuable off the bend because he's an energy guy but unfortunately he can't shoot. McDaniels, ditto. I still can't figure out why Morey traded for this guy. Yes, he's athletic, much like Brewer, but his 3-point shot is terrible, and he hasn't improved his perimeter game at all. T Jones is much the same... slow developing shot and can't compete against the big guys down low.

The one guy the Rockets need to hand onto is DMO. This guy was a difference maker before his injury so let's hope he regains his full health. Unfortunately, I think Morey screws this one up and ends up trading him as an asset, though.

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Dmo>Zbo
    Zbo>Tjones

11. benchmoochie

I think Morey wanted to unload Canaan, and Hinch was the only guy that would take the risk of Canaan, so Morey wound up with KJ. He probably liked KJ upside and was willing to take a flyer on him. This offeason he's just managing risk and return by paying him 3 years, $3 per year as a speculation bet that he outplays his contract the next two years. It would a shame to sign him for one year, and then he goes off for one year, and they risk losing him next year or have to pay him more $. His contract is cap friendly enough to be included in any trade.

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

No.

Even with DMo's potential, he's nowhere near the player Zach is, not yet anyway.

Look, everyone likes DMo's game. There are some aspects of his game that you just can't teach, including his size and impressive footwork early on. He's going to be a good player.

Either way, Zach already has a developed skill set, knows how to use his body better than any of our bigs and is a proven winner. In the playoffs, he's an easy double-double who is relentless on the offensive boards. His physicality makes him downright brutal at times. DMo needs time to heal and develop, just like any player at his age.

If Zach can be had for a fair price, I don't know why you don't go for it. The Rockets are contenders this year, which may not be the case for whatever reason in the following seasons. Morey is not rebuilding from the ground up, so it doesn't make sense to play the waiting game with James/Dwight in their prime.

The salary scenarios are troubling though. Maybe a 3-team trade? Bima, where you at?!

The possibility is very interesting to consider. I like the different looks that a ZBo would give us. It seems to be an odd, yet effective mix of gritty offense and defense.:cool:

13. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

damn dat Moray is good!

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't see Zbo's salary as a problem. $9,500,000? Brewer + Tjones, albeit in December or January when it's allowed.

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I honestly can't see this Kings team ever doing anything significant. Maybe getting an 8th seed at best for one year. Besides the fact that I don't think Cousins has the winning attitude and still needs work, rondo is pretty useless for this team. He can't be the best player on your team but he needs players that let him know that (Allen pierce Garnett). I don't know where his career will end up. George Karl is not gonna be able to get these guys to listen so there will be more coaching changes. Gay is solid but doesn't seem to win much and won't be getting better. Mclemore is athletic but don't think he'll ever bring much more than that. I also doubt Divac has any idea what he's doing. George Karl was just a terrible idea for this squad. The poor (not literally) owner has all the wrong people around him. All this BS won't help in this western conference.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

yeah finding the salary to match wouldnt be too big a problem.

the reallll problem is his contract the next few years. he is already 34 and his production and experience at 9.6m is great value. but that is just this year.

next year at 35 he is due 10.4m and the following year at 36 he is due 15.5m!

this wont be too big a contract with the cap increase but still that is a signicant chunk for a player thats going to be on the decline.

massively increasing contract with expected decrease in production is signs up an albatross contract in the making.

i dont see morey hindering flexibility and the potential courtship of durant for an aging zach randolph

17. hakeemthagreat

Read the thread title my friend. Nowhere does it say "if salaries matched, is Zach Randolph a upgrade......". You wanna talk salaries then start your own salary cap thread:rolleyes:

18. benchmoochie

It's a moot point comparing players just based on talent. We could do that all day. Everyone is this thread is talking about players and their salaries tied to them.

Ok fine in a fantasy world which you obviously live in..Zbo would be an upgrade over our PF.

And I'm not your friend, PEASANT.

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Well, damn lol.

20. OpenLayup-Why3?