1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Mettenberger - The Best QB That Won't Cost the Best Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brandyon, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a famous Winston Churchill quote that goes, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

That pretty accurately can be extrapolated to my feelings regarding drafting a QB 1st overall in this draft. People rightly point out how risky it would be, and then go on to propose a thousand different options that expose the franchise to an exponentially greater risk of failure.

2. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

He also said, "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject," which sums up the Bridgewater & Maziel, it's him or the draft is a failure, fanboys.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

So does this mean you were first on board with the Bridgewater/Manziel bandwagon, but now has gotten off. What made you change your mind?

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I did start out being on the Bridgewater train, but the concerns I've mentioned led me to think I was jumping to conclusions and should wait for the combine to substantiate or alleviate most of those questions marks.

I've never been a proponent of taking Manziel at #1.

5. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Christian Ponder went 12th overall.....

QB's will get over hyped on a purely demand basis. But Bortles actually has potential to turn into a legit NFL QB. I just think he would benefit the most from taking an Aaron Rodgers path to a starting job and not getting thrown into the wolves.

6. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Exactly.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see Mettenburger and Murray as legit mid round QB prospects that could end up being better than the QB prospects who are being hyped at the top of the draft.

I prefer the Seahawks/49ers plan, build up a crazy good defense and then try to slot in a "good enough" type QB. We could drastically upgrade our defense with the first two picks and then pick up one of those guys in the 3rd.

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Wasn't Schaub "good enough"?.... Juss Sayin.

9. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Jimmy G and Murray are probably gonna better pro qbs than Bortles and for sure Manziel, not touching Bridgewater though

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

murray was a huge failure at georgia.

i watched a lot of him, and never once did i think "that kid has what it takes".

he's a career backup.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For a few years, yeah. Unfortunately for us our defense was historically bad at the time, that and injuries destroyed any chance we had at making a run. If I could pick up anyone who could give us 2009 Matt Schaub production I'd take them in a heartbeat.

We'll see. I try to go easy when it comes to Bridgewater because it was a big issue when I suggested that he wasn't the messiah on another site and all hell broke loose. So far I'm glad to see that cult following hasn't taken over here. My honest assessment is that he'll produce similar to Sam Bradford, decent if unspectacular and possibly have some injury issues due to his slender frame. Not comparing styles, just production.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hahah, so wait... one instance you say you'll take a productive matt schaub in a "heart beat"... and then you go on to say you don't like bridgewater because he could possibly have "injury issues due to his slender frame"... you just contradicted yourself within 40 words.. Bravo, Bravo.

13. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Lets be honest, Schaub was never that good, he benefited off the Kub system and ate from the fat of the land. Now the famine kicked in.

Bradford came from the spread in college. In terms of mental make up and arm strength, Bridgewater has him beat like a drum

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. He was a very serviceable QB who just got hurt and aged poorly. If you looked at the way he played, it was always pretty obvious that he wouldn't age well, he never had very much arm strength and he relied heavily on timing routes. Get a little older and that arm gets a little weaker and the timing isn't there anymore so a reception becomes an interception.

The way it ended with him doesn't change what he was once upon a time.

15. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

He benefited off the fat of land. He had a limited physical toolset that was augmented by by the Kubs system

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's one theory. A lot of QB's have offensive options, not a lot of QB's throw for over 4700 yards with a 67.9 completion percentage even with those advantages. He really was one of the top QB's in the league for a few years there. It really happened. Of course it didn't last and he turned to garbage afterwards but that's no reason to take away what he did.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, Prodigy has nothing to do with this.

18. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

True, helps when you are throwing to Andre Johnson though.

I guess Schuab deserves his due, I just never felt the clutch from him, the ability to shoulder the team and make things happen

19. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Good album, Music video for smack my b*tch up gets me every time lol

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Then by your own logic, aren't you a fanatic who won't change his mind? Why not change your opinion about Manziel?