1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Zach Lowe] Western Conference Power Rankings (Rockets #5)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Dec 24, 2013.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tuesday column: Western Conference power rankings after a muddled trimester: <a href="http://t.co/grnZ0Lo08f">http://t.co/grnZ0Lo08f</a></p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/statuses/415489352014123008">December 24, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    A Notch Above
    1. Oklahoma CityThunder
    2. San Antonio Spurs

Just Plain Solid
    3. Los Angeles Clippers
    4. Portland Trail Blazers
    Looking Good for Playoff Spots, But…
    6. Golden State Warriors
    7. Phoenix Suns

Pick Names Out of a Hat
    8. Minnesota Timberwolves
    9. Dallas Mavericks
    10. Denver Nuggets

Sorta Boringly Bad
    11. New Orleans Pelicans
    12. Memphis Grizzlies
    13. Los Angeles Lakers

Talk to Us Next Season
    14. Sacramento Kings
    15. Utah Jazz

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I feel the same about our team...

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

That's why Zach Lowe is my favorite NBA writer; he's not afraid to admit when a player/team/GM proved him wrong. Great read.

4. NotChandlerParsons

Seems about right tbh, although I'm waiting for Portland to come back to earth.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Great write-up by Zach Lowe. Agree with his comments on the Rockets.

I feel both the Rockets and Clippers will pass the lucky Blazers if Morey can get a decent starting PF for Asik.

6. RocketPowerNick

"The Rockets would benefit from shifting a couple of those post-ups each night into pick-and-rolls with James Harden and Jeremy Lin."

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The Asik situation is destroying this team right now. Either he needs to sack up, and get back to playing at a high level off the bench, or we need to trade him as soon as Morey gets an offer that is palatable. I just pray and hope that come March, the rotation of this team is structured differently, because as is, they won't be able to get out of the first round unless they nab themselves a 1 or 2 seed.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

I didn't realize OKC was that good until Lowe put things into perspective.

I think POR is going to fall to "just plain solid" after a while though.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That is being a bit too generous.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

With our injuries this year we're totally making up for our amazing run last year.

Thankfully none of these looks to linger into the playoffs if we rest them properly. We get an incomplete grade so far, with potential still to be great.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OKC looked like they were teetering on the brink of collapse early on after the T-Wolves smacked them around in their 2nd game, but WB's return righted the ship. RJ's performance off the bench has been stellar and Jeremy Lamb and Steven Adams have been better than expected. On the downside, Perk is worse than ever and Thabo is almost as useless. Yet coach Bonehead continues to stick with them.

IMO, Blazers will fall when LMA's production returns to earth and Wes Matthews & Batum stop shooting 3s like Ray Allen. On the plus side for them, Lillard hasn't been very good so far (highlight plays excluded) and he could make up some of the difference.

IMO, only the Rockets and Clippers have a real chance to prevent OKC or the Spurs from making the Finals again.

12. basketballholic

Yep, me too. But shouldn't they fire him or something if he's wrong? :eek:

Doh, forgot. He's not a member here.