1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: "Rockets - least watchable of all playoffs teams"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OpenLayup-Why3?, Oct 20, 2015.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The only thing that this shows to me is what I already knew. Zach Lowe actually watches Rockets games, which is a good thing.

2. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Okay, so? He acknowledges the team's effectiveness and doesn't enjoy its style. The same as he always does. Why are we so sensitive?

3. nobie

nobie Member

Lol you mad

4. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Actually I did read it. I guess I missed the part where he says 'Come on' and explains Hardens craftiness.

The complaint about officiating was about Bill, Bull and Clyde. He's right about that. Sometimes its a bit much.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As a Rockets fan, the broadcast crew is so blatantly one sided that it is annoying. They don't have to be completely unbiased, but they should try to accurately report the game. If the Rockets can get get rid of the Hack-a-Dwight, Capela, DMo, they will play a much more aesthetically pleasing game.

6. OpenLayup-Why3?

Hack a DMo? What?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Perplexed by the free throw parade statement. Yeah, the Rockets were #2 on FGA last season. But we averaged 26. The leader, Sacramento, averaged 29.3 (apparently, they are top-15 entertaining to him, so I we can't see yet if he'll mention their free throw parade). The mean and the median are 22.8 and the low is 19.1. So, the Rockets shot 3 more free throws per game (or 13% more) than the average team, and it's a parade? I also took a look at his description of Orlando -- they get no credit for having the least number of free throw attempts. Zach, aren't you happy they aren't stopping the clock?

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Did other people complain about the broadcasters this much when Murphy was with Bill?

I love that our broadcast team are homers. And really, most of the times they complain about ref calls they are right.

Of course they aren't going to complain when a bad call goes our way, but they do point those bad calls out a lot in some form or fashion.

9. HTM

HTM Member

Oh look, it's Zach Lowe... another Rockets hater who works at Grantland.... like everyone who covers bball at Grantland :rolleyes:

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He is absolutely right about our commentary team. I cringe at the rubbish they say half the time.

Clyde is absolutely clueless. His homerism is annoying but expected but when you don't know the facts and have the blind red glasses, you're worthless

Yeah Clyde, Reggie Miller is still #1 overall in 3 point field goals made

1 person likes this.
  11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Who's left at Grantland...? I like their articles... but the Simmons v ESPN war is leading to its slow death.

12. rocketseagles07

Sean Elliot by far takes the homer and corniest black man alive crown. Actually he's one of the corniest people period. Beyond that Bill isn't a homer at all, Matt can be, Clyde is BEYOND a homer.

Besides that it is what is. Lowe has the same issue a lot of writers have w/ watching our team. I think we're fun to watch, but who knows what I'd think if I wasn't a fan. He's still a great writer imo

1 person likes this.
  13. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

people said the spurs were boring to watch.

If a team plays to their strengths and gets wins, their fans will be happy...they want wins! If fans of other teams don't like it....screw 'em. I'm sure we've all been on both side of that coin

1 person likes this.
  14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I agree with him on most of the stuff, but no way are we at 20!

More like 10-13

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Clyde is not that Homerish. He is pretty honest.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

This is the second time i recall him calling out our broadcast team yet every single team in the league is super homer about their own team. That's the way it should be. Kind of annoying he only calls us out on it.

He has a point as far as aesthetics go. We DO have an ugly court. It's boring. The entire brand is uninspiring. From a plain floor with no color, to a plain logo to dated uniforms from a time when the league was trying too hard to be unique.
    I've complained about these things for a long time. It hits me even harder when i watch other teams and their home floor really pops out on tv and looks exciting. It makes the arena feel alive. Ours always feels dead. It's also the fans. What happened to Rockets fans? The most excitement you can get out of them is witnessing some cholo's get in a fight like in every sport and every stadium around the country(why is it always hispanics fighting?) The championship era had electric fans. I don't know if it's just the fashion of the era, but most of those fans looked like 30-50 year old age group and yet they still cheered louder than today's younger fan base.

17. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Most people don't know the definition of racism. Most people confuse racism with bigotry and stereotyping. They aren't the same thing. Racism has an element of keeping people down. He may be racist but clearly you are racist. Basketball is a world sport played in places like the Philippines and invented by a Canadian Honky who lived in the United States. Go read a book for once and travel more.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

18. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I know this won't be popular on here, but Lowe was really fair to us here. This is one of the first times that I have seen a major national writer say that Harden is fouled because he is fouled. Take the positive from this article and don't let it ruin your day.

FWIW, if I had to choose I would pick Ackerman or a national broadcast over our local tv broadcast team 100 times out of 100.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

All the other stuff aside, one thing that really bugs me is how the Rockets refuse to up the lighting inside Toyota Center. While other teams are actively trying to brighten the lights focused on the court, and bring everyone's attention to the game itself, Toyota Center almost feels like it's got mood lighting. In person, it's significantly dimmer than almost every other arena I've been to (Dallas, San Antonio, Chicago, Miami, Brooklyn, Boston, LA), and on TV, it's even worse. They need to do something to bring some energy into the stadium, and I think it starts with lighting.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, brighten the lights focused on the court, and dim the crowd lights a bit.