1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe on SportVU camera system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JBar, Oct 19, 2013.

1. JBar

JBar Rookie

In this hour-long interview Lowe notes that the Rockets discovered something about the risk and rewards of crashing the offensive boards from the SportVU data, making them send far more bodies to the offensive glass than most teams. I guess we can continue to see Bev crashing them.

(Presumably they discovered it helps your offense more than it hurts your defense.)

http://www.hickory-high.com/?p=9180

Note: the hour-long interview is not at all focused on the Rockets. It only touches on them here and there.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I wonder if the Rockets are OK with him sharing that.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think it's that huge a secret. Teams will find out what they think soon enough after they see how the Rockets actually play.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think it may be situational. Also, the path to the boards may be important. Lastly, Beverley likely skews the stats.

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I already heard it shared from an article about another team using the sportVU data... can't remember where the article is, though.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I listened to the podcast. Lowe did not share anything that the Rockets told him. Lowe said that there was a paper presented at the Sloan Conference that said that the Rockets tend to send more guys to offensive rebound than most teams. Lowe than said that he suspects that the SportsVu data told the Rockets something about those risks and rewards.

#6 Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  7. JBar

JBar Rookie

Thanks, Carl. I hadn't taken notes with minute markers (because I was doing paid work while listening). I remembered the gist, but I wasn't 100% sure of exactly how it had come up, so didn't think I should correct things until I listened again. Thanks for doing it for me:).

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Or it might just be lack of discipline from our players. Chandler used to do that to get those tip dunks, and Beverley did it a lot last year as well. I recall the coach or maybe Morey saying that they'd prefer they not do this.

9. JBar

JBar Rookie

I wonder if it involves a more fine-grained look at the data. After the Orlando game, I think that McHale said that they were OK with Bev crashing the boards but not necessarily other PGs. I wonder if they found something like: the rewards are much greater than the risks for Bev to crash the boards when the 2s and 3s are in X area of the court. So they told Bev to crash the boards, and told the 2s and 3s to look for him to do it, and to move to X when he does. 100% speculation here.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

11. JBar

JBar Rookie

Another aspect to consider: If Bev is in the paint, say, and able to go for the offensive rebound, that means the opposing point guard is probably in the paint too, so the opposing player best able to push the ball on the fast break has a long way to go to score or assist.

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

The offensive rebounding stuff isn't really news.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8989580/is-rockets-gm-daryl-morey-plan-working-houston

Both Morey and McHale have commented about it in the past, too.

I touched on it a while back here with regards to transition defense and the trade-off the Rockets appear to be comfortable with http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7708864&postcount=7

Zach Lowe actually wrote an article on this very subject not too long ago, suggesting that you quite possibly can manage to be good at both offensive rebounding and transition defense, citing the Pacers as an example. http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...f-offensive-rebounding-and-transition-defense

McHale once commented on it with some regards to Beverley, but...

#12 HMMMHMM, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  13. JBar

JBar Rookie

Thanks for those links HmmmHmm.

In that article on the Pacers, Lowe said that probably the reason that offensive rebounds had gone down league-wide was the rise of the stretch 4. He went as far as saying you could forget about getting offensive rebounds with players like Dirk and Ryan Anderson. But in actuality Anderson was a very good offensive rebounder playing alongside Dwight in Orlando during the same year that he led the league in threes.