1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Zach Lowe] Chander Parsons and Houston’s Game of Dominoes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets1994, Jun 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Garcia already say he's opting out?

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Lots of interesting tidbits in that article.

The rest of the league possibly being mad about another trade with Philly to help us out.

Other teams in the league purposefully offering Parsons big money just to spite us and wreck our plans.

Also the mention of Morey finding some other funky CBA loopholes to exploit this offseason.

This summer is going to be pretty interesting.

3. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Is the cap hold $2.73m as Lowe reports in this article or $3.9m as binaThug reports in his earlier article??

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Great read.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There is quite a bit of bad information in that article. His cap numbers are all wrong.

Also Chander - haha

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He or his people did leak it out. Yes. That was the one mistake I would note in this article.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It is possible for Parsons to accept another team's offer, forcing the Rockets to match in 3 days, but this is unlikely.

First, the Rockets can just agree to make him the same offer, or a slightly better one, on the condition that Parsons waits a while before signing it. This is essentially what Marc Gasol and Nene did in 2011.

Second, I doubt that Dan Fegan, Parsons' agent, has incentives to take away an important supporting player from one of his most important clients, Dwight Howard, and screw over Dwight's team.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wouldn't Parsons have to except the offer though? Just because a team is willing to **** us over doesn't mean Parsons is. If Parsons knows the plan, and knows the Rockets will match, he might force his contract to be what him and the Rockets agree on.

I can see Philly offering him a deal that we request, with the agreement we will match.

9. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

As long as there is a plan, and Parsons knows some amount of it, we'll be fine and other offers won't get in the way. Morey's a smart guy. He'll figure something out to make this team better.

10. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Uh?? If that's the case then he'll just wait and sign a contract with the Rockets. Just because he is a RFA doesn't mean he HAS to sign a offer with another team. Parsons can still come to an agreement with the Rockets without another team being involved - which is what I bet has already happened. My money is on Morey and Feigan having a "wink wink" agreement already in place and are just postponing the announcement till after Morey works his magic to pickup another FA.

11. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Actually his cap numbers are really off, too. Assuming Parsons cap hold is indeed $2.73M (or $2.86M like has been reported for Isaiah Thomas, who should be under the same starter provision) and not $3.9M like Bima tweeted, before he even discusses dumping Garcia and Montiejunas (but with not having #25 cap hold) he says the Rockets could offer $17.5M. They can't. Even if you take away Garcia, #25 and DMo, the Rockets are still probably at a max of $17.3M. Obviously if the $$ for Parsons' cap hold is higher then the offer goes much lower.

12. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yeah, but will Parsons not sign a lucrative offer sheet, just trusting the Rockets will offer what they say or match that offer? The offering team could be a time limit on availability of that offer. "You can sign today or will retract and pursue other FAs."

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thats a good way to piss off and disrespect a player. No good team would do it.

Sac did that to Iggy last summer and it pissed Iggy off enough to take a lot less to go to GS.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Maybe, not the "today", but I do expect good teams don't bind themselves waiting on a player indefinitely. If the player is going to look for other offers, I expect teams will as well.

15. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Not really because they will be pursuing other free agents. It literally happens all the time, in every sport. "Sign with us or we move to the next guy and there is no commitment that our offer will still be on the table." This is especially true with a RFA, who the team gets no guarantee it gets even if they get them to sign the offer sheet.

Teams literally do it all the time. Do they do it to LeBron James? No way. Do they do it to guys who are not superstars, but who would keep them from landing other top players? Absolutely.

The Kings didn't care if Iguodola didn't like it. Apparently he wanted to sign and then postured. They moved on. He is a moron for not signing if he wanted that deal. The Kings were willing to overpay for commitment and to have relative closure to their offseason. Iguodola was using them to get a better offer. They didn't let him.

16. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

1. Parsons doesnt have to sign the deal just because its there.

2. This screams "Wink wink" agreement in place......

3. Thank you Hinkie, before hand. We owe you a solid.

4. Unloading Asik and Lin will be a breeze, even though people around the NBA are not sure about it.

5. Carmelo Anthony, welcome to the Rockets.

6. Parson signs for 11 millions a year.... 4 years;$44 deal.

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Now I definitely think Love is going to Boston to team with Rondo. Sullinger, Green, their lottery pick and filler for Love and filler seems like a solid deal for both teams. But if Boston can also get Asik using their trade exception, that's a dangerous team. If they could get that done, I can see Boston being a 3rd seed next season. Possible better than the Pacers and Bulls.

I also think there is some back scratching going around with Morey and Parsons. And I would put be surprised if Morey pulls out more tricks and loopholes out of his sleeve to get what he wants.

Always so exciting to be a Rockets fan in the offseason, with Morey as the mastermind.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

the more I think about it the more I think something has to be in place already and the only thing stopping it is time.

Unless maybe someone were to go back on their word. But at this point I'm pretty sure guys want to join Howard and Harden.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

you get the feeling the dominos will be

1) Asik/Lin traded

2) Melo signed

3) Parsons signed