1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YYM may be closing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by battousai, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. battousai

battousai Member

http://www.************.com/blog/20...he-buzzer-this-could-be-my-last-post#more-964

Rockets lose at the buzzer; This could be my last post
    November 7th, 2008
    by John
    The Rockets lost a heartbreaker to Portland on a 30-foot buzzer beater by Brandon Roy. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to see the game, and I’m glad I didn’t. You can read and weep the game story here at the Chronicle site.

I do have something I need to tell you that’s pretty important, though. I have decided after running YMM for over 6 ½ years, I’m going to have to take a break from the site, and it could be permanent (gulp!).

I could have just disappeared and not said anything, but then all of you would be wondering what happened. I owe more to you guys than that.

I had decided several months ago that heading into this NBA season, I can’t continue to sacrifice my time, money and health without making a reasonable financial return on the site. It has been like a second job to me. Even moreso now since I’m not in Texas as much as usual because of a new, time-consuming job which makes it very difficult for me to watch Yao’s games. Also, every extra hour I can get back in my life is precious. I have become extremely busy over the past year, and it’s not going to let up.

Many of you know I have accepted donations in the past, but I refuse to take those any longer. I very much appreciate your past contributions, but after seeing what was donated the past few years, it’s far from being enough to make it financially viable.

A few months ago my original plan was to try to “blow out” the site by redesigning it so more ads could run, and get the help of Ren Hsieh and Raymond in China so more interesting content could appear on the site every day. That would help drive more page views, more visitors, and more ad revenue from which I could pay them and make a small return for myself. As a good faith effort to Raymond and to keep the site going through the all-important Beijing Olympics, I even paid money out of my own pocket so he could provide exclusive coverage to YMM over the summer and during the Games. He did a fantastic job as always.

But right before the Olympics started, Yao’s marketing people requested that they were uncomfortable with some of the ads that were appearing on the site, which is not easy to control. I understood their concern, and I agreed to take down the ads, and they vowed to try to work out some kind of way for YMM to get compensated within a couple of weeks. I tell you this because I know many of you would simply recommend, “put up ads.”

Well, to make a long story short, efforts have been unsuccessful to find another source of revenue from either Yao’s people or anywhere else.. And now that the season is started, running the site takes much more time than it did over the summer. So for now, I have decided to retire from YMM. Hopefully it’s temporary, but it could be more.

But if anyone is interested in sponsoring the site, I would entertain offers. Worst case, I am willing to sell the ************.com domain, and am open to offers in the 5-figures range.

Who knows, though, maybe I’ll have Yao and Rockets ‘withdrawal’ so much that I might blog once every week or so my thoughts about Yao’s games. Or better yet, some kind of financial deal can get worked out, and I’ll be back to blogging, along with Ren & Raymond’s help and them getting paid a fair amount, too.

If either of these scenarios happens, I’ve been thinking about how you will find out so you can come back to the site.

One way is for you to just come back to the site periodically and check it out. Another way is for you to send an email to alerts@************.com saying you want to be notified in case something is worked out, and I’ll email you and let you know.

In the meantime, I will continue keeping the YMM Forum open where everyone can continue to converse about Yao and his games. If you want a username so you can post in the forum, go ahead and register then send an email to john@**************.com telling me the username you requested, and I will approve your username request.

I hate goodbyes, so hopefully this is just “so long for now.” If it truly is goodbye, I know I’ll really miss it. This site has been a big part of my life over the past 6 ½ years, and it has been one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done.

2. battousai

battousai Member

Hate to see any Yao or Rockets Website go away. Didn't know Pruyen's hard work was byproduct of income and interest. However we still appreciate the info.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's a shame.

4. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

That's sad .... It probably reflects the lack of interest in Yao now.

5. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

It's sad news. YMM is a wonderful website and I wish I could have money to support it. However, during this economy and with yao's recent performance...

6. jacuzzi

jacuzzi Member

What is this site? I am new here, guys.

7. underoverup

underoverup Member

is it blocked here at CF.net because of hoopsworld type stuff at the site?

8. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

yao_ming_mania_com
    Really sad to hear the news.

9. battousai

battousai Member

not really, it pretty much boils down to two websites fighting for fans. There was an incident but it was so long ago, i totally forgot about how it happeneds.

something has to due with people posting stuff from that site onto this and vice versa.

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He'll entertain offers in the 5 figure range though!

Um, yeah, whatever you say...

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

pryuen faints

12. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

This should make everyone realize how lucky were are to have someone like Clutch.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yao Ming Mania? Never heard of it.

14. lastmanstanding

Uh oh.
    Prepare for a flood of new members.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no! can't they go to YiJanlianmania.com?

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

SORRY TO SAY THIS BUT WHAT ON THIS EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??
    I AM a very deep fan of the Houston Rockets and I know absolute zero of what you are refering to. For all of us who are ignorant of you and your contribution please let us know who you are and what you do! :p

17. FFz

FFz Member

the forum on that site was the only one i could find good info in english about chinese players. Very sad indeed.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

A thread about a blog, about a guy who doesn't have time to blog.

That ought to shake things up in the world of Rockets related news!

Thank you for bringing this important news to the Rockets fans of the world!!

19. sime0n

sime0n Member

YMM too was my only source if chinese basketball player news in english. Fortunately, Yi, Sun, Chen & Xu all have not panned out. It might take another 15 years before we find another Chinese player who can contribute like Yao.

20. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

How is he going to be able to sell it for 5 figures.

If he is losing money, the present value of future losses is a bigger loss

If it was a cash cow, I might buy it :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.