1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Yuli's Wrist

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DarkHorse, Feb 28, 2018.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

2. pw1993

pw1993 Member

Heard nothing. Then again I don't know anybody close to the team.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

My sources are saying it is his hand and not his wrist.

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

You're right. Bad title. Hand, not wrist.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

6. wink2cat

wink2cat Contributing Member

"God Willing I Hope Everything Goes Well" ... me too

mikol13 likes this.
  7. pw1993

pw1993 Member

If Yuli were out for a few months, I don't see it having a severe negative impact on the regular season. The Astros are fortunate to have Marwin and White who can come in and play 1B at a moment's notice. Reed and potentially Davis might also be options.

I know a lot of people probably roll their eyes at the thought of Tyler White returning to play 1B. However, it probably wouldn't be the disaster that many suspect it would. Last year, Yuli made 8 errors in 130 games at 1B, whereas White made 3 errors in 34 games at 1B split between AAA and ML levels. Had White played the same number of games at 1B as Yuli, he probably would have made around 11 errors on the season. White had a .987 fielding pct at 1B and Yuli, .993. So while the 1B defense would suffer a little bit, it wouldn't suffer a whole lot, especially when we consider that with Yuli's age he would probably play slightly worse defense this year than he did last, irrespective of any injuries he might suffer. White, on the other hand, is still 27 and not likely to be suffering age-related defensive decline yet.

The real story about White that has gone unreported is how he finally figured out right-handed pitching last year. White's career numbers have always favored LHP to RHP. Even in his rather disappointing 2016 season, White still hit for a 112 wRC+ (OPS .798) against lefties. It was his hitting against righties that really did him in that year (63 wRC+, OPS .591) and got him sent back to AAA. However, once there, he made changes to his pitch selection and batting stance, and in 2017 that allowed him to improve his hitting against righties to .780 OPS at ML level and .879 OPS at AAA level. He started hitting more fly balls and making more hard contact, which gave him 31 HRs on the season.

Last year, Yuli put up a season OPS of .817. With the changes White has made, he stands to hit for an OPS of around .790 against righties and even higher against lefties, safely one could estimate .820. If there is really any offensive fall-off at all by having White come in as an injury replacement for Yuli, it probably wouldn't be very large. There probably would be some defensive fall-off but at most, it would probably only mean a difference of one win over the course of an entire season, and more than likely White would only replace Yuli for a few months at most.

#7 pw1993, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yuli being injured might be a blessing in disguise as it would allow White or Reed an opportunity to get established in the big leagues. Both players and especially Reed have much higher ceilings at 1B than Gurriel.

Alternatively maybe they sign Lucas Duda.

pw1993 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. pw1993

pw1993 Member

I'm not sure how long it took players with similar surgeries to recover. I seem to remember Max Stassi had a similar surgery a few years ago.

Sounds like we are talking 8 weeks minimum here, perhaps more like 4 months?

11. conquistador#11

yuli went full arian foster with the hospital bed in lieu of the xray.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yuli Gurriel is undergoing surgery Wednesday in Houston to remove the hook of the hamate bone in his left hand.

Gurriel left Astros camp and flew back to Houston on Monday after experiencing discomfort around his left hand and wrist, and it was quickly recommended that he go under the knife. There's no timetable yet, but hamate bone surgeries can sideline baseball players for 6-8 weeks and will often have lasting effects even when the player returns. Marwin Gonzalez figures to open the 2018 season as the Astros' starting first baseman. Tyler White now has a better shot of making the Opening Day roster and could also see a good amount of starts in the early going. A.J. Reed could also put himself in the mix.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...-hamate-bone-surgery?ls=roto:MLB:topheadlines

13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Please be the lone hiccup in our quest for a repeat. Starting spring training with Gurriel having a major injury blows bull balls.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Not nearly that long. More like 5-6 weeks. So we’re looking at maybe mid-late April. Not worried at all by that timetable.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Alright AJ Reed, you seem to be whining about not getting a chance, well here's your chance.

Between recovery time, and having to get his timing back in the minors and suspension, Yuli is probably gonna miss at least 2-4 weeks of the regular season. I doubt we want Marwin anchored to 1B full time, so White,Davis and Reed will have a chance to establish themselves.

Could be a long term blessing in the skies.

#16 sealclubber1016, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Sure, but will Yuli's power be sapped due to this wrist injury? That's my big concern. Yuli has surprisingly a ton of raw power, but he might be relegated to hitting HRs that just barely clear the fence, kind of like Correa.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I though Yuli improved defensively as the year progressed. I bet he will be stellar defensively when he returns.

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Oh well gives us the ability to see what at least one of Fisher, Reed, White, or Davis can do.