1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yulieski Gurriel agrees to 5/$47M deal with the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jul 15, 2016.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Aggressive or just a controlled free swinger? The dude can not take a pitch to save his life, but I do agree with him taking the games out of the umps control and I love him for that.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm with this. Not Yuli's fault Astros got a great 3B and 2B. He's expected to be about right on his contract numbers as a 1B. Lower at DH. That said, it would not surprise me if he has a RC+ in the 130-140 range next year or one in the 100-110 range.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yuli is probably only slightly below average at taking pitches. He's so far above average at making contact on pitches that are strikes or close to it that he just rarely gets to three balls. Consequently, he hardly walks.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

His contract has annual declining salaries. He got $14M this season, and gets $12M, $10M, and $8M the next 3 years. I think 2017 was still a transition year for him, not just being in the US, but playing 150 games and playing 1B everyday. He hasn’t shown signs of age related decline yet, but at his age that is definitely a risk. I think next season will be his best, and he could put up star quality numbers similar in overall value to what Carlos Santana did this year. By 2019 and 2020 age may force him to a DH/bench role, but I still think he’ll be worth his contract as a great contact hitter who has some power and can field a corner IF spot without embarrassing himself.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agreed, he's a good contact hitter who chooses to be aggressive.

His problem is he is so good at contact he swings at pitches outside the zone. He makes contact at a higher rate than average on those pitches but he probably should just take the ball.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He could swing at less pitches and probably be more effective. I just hate the narrative that he swings at everything. Not checked the stats, but I think the perception that he has no eye has caused umps to give him a tighter zone even when Price isn't the pitcher. It is hard to take balls when umps call them strikes.

7. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

You dumb asses that are saying to replace Yuli with Reed need to stfu and gtfo here. Yuli is one of our most clutch hitters on the team and is a tough out for most pitchers. What a steal we have him for the next couple years and he will only get better! Now shut the **** up and enjoy the ride for another 2 peat!

DudeWah, dc rock, tmactoyao and 3 others like this.
  8. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

"The Blue Jays will reportedly call up Cuban prospect Lourdes Gurriel Jr. today. He is the youngest brother of Yulieski Gurriel and son of legendary Cuban baseball player Lourdes Gurriel." http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0779026881499369486-4

Nook likes this.