1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Youtube] Lady Bashes Borat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yaozer, Nov 29, 2006.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Keeping digging yourself in deeper, I'm enjoying this.

I mean, so since I don't believe in Buddhism... It should be ok if I went into some Buddhist Temple and spray painted "Siddhartha <3 penis" everywhere.

I mean they deserve to be made fun of because they believe in all that Nirvana and Enlightenment bull****.

2. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

It doesn't imply that at all. It directly states that Borat has no merit, but no implication is made about the comedy genre. I consider The Big Lebowski to be one of the greatest scripts ever written, and one of the best films of it's time. Don't try to give me the old "oh think you are too good for comedies" BS. I even love films like Super Troopers and Road Trip which involve chugging maple syrup and stealing a bus from a blind person. It's not the genre I have a problem with, it's the film.

And don't think The Fountain is my favorite movie of all time, and that I latch onto it so I can be prententious and haughty. It was simply a good example of a good film that is out right now; a solid alternative to the idiotic Borat.

It wasn't perfect, but it did have outstanding performances, great cinematography, and an interesting plot. It wasn't a mess at all.

3. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Hey Derek, I think we need to have a chat with this kid. He has his head screwed on straight. Possible NIMF material.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I haven't seen Borat, and I'm not going to. But I did watch the clip of the revival service. I am a Pentecostal, and I will say that it didn't bother me at all. What is shown isn't that much different than worship that commonly happens in Pentecostal churches. I can't help that he wants to mock it, but what he mocks, I am not ashamed of.

5. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I disagree with your view of college kids. I think liking Borat does not make them tasteless people who know nothing of film. Ok, maybe this isn't up there with those high standard movies like Cinderella Man, Million Dollar Baby, or LOTR.. but just because a movie isn't up to standard with the "Academy Awards" doesn't mean you're an idiot if you like it.

In my view, Borat is just a matter of your taste in humor. I liked the movie. I simply didn't laugh if I don't find a particular scene funny (which was a good couple), didn't have to get all offended and whine.

This movie was not made to be a cinematic masterpiece as I'm sure Sasha Cohen had no intentions of making it that way either. You can't compare this movie to those movies who are in line for an award nomination. This is like me saying I don't like Faris Beuler's Day Off or any other Jack Black movies and calling anyone who likes them cinematically inept.

On a side note, I'm also tired of people complaining and taking offense on how he makes fun of Jews and such. If you look between the lines.. he uses Borat to mock anti-semitic people.

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

i'm a bit freaked out by all that. I'm not sure what it achieves.

I think biblically its stated that it was designed originally to preach the word of God to those who spoke foreign languages. And also stated that they would cease.

Using them in a church environment seems pointless when its a matter of reaching out to foreigners?

I can easily understand how people would consider it "a false show of faith"

why do some churches deem it necessary to speak in tongues? where does it say that we all must have that "gift". And where does it say that its the most important, or even one of the more important gifts?

Dont dig it Im afraid.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Wow. The link by Mr. Brightside to the movie has no bright side to it.

And I fear the guy who made it is severely turned over to a reprobate mind. :(

The way I've always understood it, and I teach it myself, is that if you can still be concerned about whether or not you've committed blasphemy, you haven't.

Only those that have (blasphemed) don't care whether they have or not.

Also FWIW, blasphemy is not "denying" or "questioning God." If that were a sin... no man or woman would escape it.

The disciples themselves were recorded as saying "Lord we believe, help us with our unbelief." Unbelief involves doubt, questions, etc.

Blasphemy is lying directly to or about the Holy Spirit... see the story of Annanias and Sapphira in the book of the Acts of the Apostles.

And that film has some serious chronological problems on that time line....

The church started 50 days after Jesus' ascension. Not 40 years. It was prudent to the first century church that they record every event, many first hand accounts btw, before they passed away. The so-indicted 40 year gap on this flick is peddled under false pretenses.

To deny Jesus is anyone's choice. To imply that anyone is "psycho" or "crazy" or anything of the sort to believe in Jesus is nothing new. That has happened since day one... literally.

And further... nowhere in the Pauline epistles, or elsewhere in the N.T. is there an indication that spiritual gifts would cease... other than after the body of Christ (church) is removed from this world... but it is more implied than direct... in fact the book of Acts has no formal close, or benediction, and is left in present tense terms... something unique to this book alone...

Further still, Paul teaches in Corinthians on the order that should be kept when the "gifts" are "used" in a church service setting... a cautious tone in fact... while establishing the "rules" on their use, he encourages moderation, especially if a newcomer to the faith and/or setting is their in service...

Paul's teaching on this is also in present, and present-future tense, indicative of future events. He does clearly teach that any "gift" that does not "edify" or "encourage" the church as a whole (especially) should be scrutinized... this in fact has weeded out heresies over the centuries...

All the "gifts of the Spirit" should line-up to Scripture. And thusly, only a knowledge of these Scriptures can be used to determine their merits/ In other words Paul encourages the church to be "fruit inspectors" or "judges" of the gift... Jesus taught that the Holy Spirit would always "speak of me." Paul re-enforced that directive.

"Tongues" is just the "gift" that most people get hung up on. Yet every person uses a tongue to speak. Why can't God, who created us in his own image, use a tongue? Why then could it not be possible for a willing vessel be yielded to be used in that manner? Much like the video, it is a "faith" issue. It is not supposed to "make sense." BUt hey, God even let us in on that one too. He said "My ways are not your ways." So for every question, God has an answer.

Most people don't even realize that being made in His image, we ALL have experienced to some degree the "gifts" of God. We merely "fully plug in" if we have experienced a deeper relationship with him.

Some people merely call that "feeling you get" or that "hunch" a matter of the conscience. Many who have experienced God in a deeper way may see it as the Gift of Discerning of Spirits...

Well, this is all too deep, and way too scatter gun for this to make sense to many... but the awesome news is that God really still wants a relationship with each of us... and through His Son we can achieve that.

The "Gift" to the world in general is Jesus.

Through that gift, we come back into relationship (once lost with the fall of Adam) with God. We can be labeled then as "believers."

The "Gift" to the believer is the Holy Spirit... promised by Jesus (I send you a comforter... He will speak of me, etc).

The "gifts of the Spirit" as a type of religious mis-speak... they are more less just the different manifestations of the one Gift. Sort of like the different braches to the same tree.

But it is a matter of faith. Cool thing is, God gave every one a measure of faith to begin with.

It's what you choose to do from there that determines your result.

And yes, it is perfectly fine if you choose to not follow Christ.

Just don't act like you were never told you should. That's the further love of God IMHO... that He wants to know you... but He will not force Himself on you.

It's been said, and bares repeating, the Holy Spirit is a gentleman. Which again points to Christ. He loves His church. He is the Groom, we are his bride... Earthly husbands are even admonished to "cherish your wives, as Jesus cherished the church."

Bottom line. God won't do to you / for you / that which you do not wish Him to. Just don't ask Him to bail you out of life's problems when / if they come and you've not been living in consideration as to how He'd have you live it.

His Word says that too. "Be not deceived, God is not mocked. For what you sow, you will reap."

You plant a garden of doubt and resistance. You reap it. Sorry if that seems scary or elitist.... but God said it. Take it up with Him. (I'm not the manufacturer, I'm just in sales) You'd be suprised what He responds with. Just remember no one has ever found God without some sort of question of His existence. I can tell He is real. I can tell you that "gifts" are for today... But don't take my word for it. Take His. And investigate it until you get your answers.

Wow. That was not about Borat. Not so much. ;)

p.s. -No one should ever try and make you believe that you can't make it to Heaven without being "used" to speak in "tongues" or other spiritual gifts. They are there for the believer, should the believer decide to go into that deeper understanding.. but the ONLY requirement to make Heaven is the two-fold acknowledgment of Jesus as Savior and Lord. Remember, He wants us as we are. Let Him tell you want He wants to do in your life after that. You may be surprised at how little you change. Habits may or may not change... but if your heart changes, habit fall easily.

Believe it or not there will be a ton of people in Heaven that did not quit smoking or drinking or cursing or ________. God's grace covers a multitude of sin. Where sin abounds, Grace that much more abounds...

And I'd be more concerned with gossip, bitterness, unforgiveness, etc... matters of the heart... than with the traditional "clothesline sins" -those outward hang-ups traditions have made into sin. All things in modesty and moderation, eh? Nothing burns me up more than a "Christian" judging on appearance or outward habits without considering their own hearts first. The literal plank in the eye, while point out the splinter in someone else's. :mad:

/rambling sermonette ;)

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

thanks IROC it.

the time and effort (not to mention the passion) you put into that post is not lost on me.

Appreciate it man. :)

9. IROC it

I sincerely appreciate that. Thanks for the kind response. ;)

10. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

It's funny how the man in the video speaks of/implies hypocrisy in the church and how it is being forced on others when he himself is being hypocritical and in-your-face about his opinions. :rolleyes: What really bugs me is the whole "Do you have hardline proof?" stance. It's called faith. Also, there seems to be alot of resentment in his message. Poor guy. Hopefully, he finds what he's looking for in life.

And IROC it, great, inspiring post. :)

11. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

You further display your ignorance. Cinderella Man is a Ron Howard film. He is a glorified TV director. I haven't seen MDB but it's Eastwood fare, so I'm sure it's good. But LOTR despite it's success is very flawed. And who said anything about Academy Awards?

I agree, it is about taste. And if you liked Borat, you have piss poor taste.

I can compare, and I will. It was horrible.

12. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Myself and at least a few million people are gonna have to disagree with you. To each his/her own.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

asdfoiewuywsghuixjdwsovwepwxjn98gfe8490nfi

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Borat has really touched a nerve amongst our young religious conservative friends.

15. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Yessss. I liiike. I am conservative. I have not had sex for 2 weeks, my sack is heavy. I like this Jesus.

16. IROC it

Funny. I'm obviously a conservative. And my belief is that everything is sacred within the confines of marriage as far as sex is concerned. Full consideration for the spouse (in either case husband to wife, wife to husband) must be given. It is an actual act of ministry to your spouse.

In fact going back to Paul... He indicates no reason at all to "keep yourself" from your spouse... unless it's during an agreed upon time of fasting.

If the frequency is as low as "two weeks" that couple needs marriage counseling. In fact, as indicated by Scripture just referenced, a low frequency inside a marriage is opening up to temptation from the outside of the marriage.

This is one of the most bunk comments made about Christians, i.e. evangelicals (That they have little or no sex). Everything's been thought of. God wants married people bumpin' each other uglies. :D

MYTH BUSTED

On the other hand I know there are prudes out there. But seriously it's not God's Will for those couples.

#36 IROC it, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Saying this in as non-offensive a way as possible, but shouldn't there be some kind of "Scripture" tag...or heck, even a "This Conversation is Getting Really Religious" tag.

18. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Nice try captain treehugger.

I'm an agnostic, and I think teaching intelligent design in schools is sheer idiocy.

[​IMG]

So go join a drum circle about it.

19. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

I giggled at this post. Was it in response to her thread about drinking?

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This thread is everything I love about the D&D.

Relatively unimportant topic
    Some debate
    Righteous indignation
    Random pics and videos
    Sheer animosity
    Religious fervor
    Goofy humor/insults
    Consistent misinterpretation

Good times.
    [​IMG]

#40 rhadamanthus, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006